Got a suggestion on how to improve MyFitnessPal? Share it in this category or vote to tell us what you think of other people’s suggestions. Please be sure to review the Feature Suggestion submissions guidelines.

Auto-convert between basic units

Often, when searching the food database, I find an item that matches what I need but does not support the units I'm familiar with (I may use grams, but the entry uses ounces, or fluid ounces instead of ml). Or it has the right unit, but only in a multiple (e.g. 100g but no 1g). Sometimes this goes as far as only having an entry for a specific portion size (e.g. 22.5g). I feel like the system should have basic unit conversion built-in, and so if there is 100g, there should always by 1g option and 1oz option as well.

This might bloat the list of available options, but this could be countered with a better UI. Instead of one long list, you may have something like two rows of buttons: first select the type of unit (ml/g/oz/fl oz/other), then the specific quantity.
Tagged:
10 votes

Open for Voting · Last Updated

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I often find similar listings using different units, so I just log the one that uses the units I like.

For produce, grains, meat and other unprocessed products, I add "usda" to my search because the default measurement is for a 100 gram serving Then the math is always easy (82 grams of eggplant is .82 servings!)
  • gtdr
    gtdr Posts: 4 Member
    I was planning to add this very same request as mentioned in my suggestion to add separate volume vs weight input fields.

Taking it one step further would be to add the option to add a volume to weight conversion factor to a food item or recipe, such as you might find in the Aqua Calc website, to allow automatic conversion between weight and volume.
  • ginaoverly
    ginaoverly Posts: 1 Member
    How do you put in a different amount when you only have certain options? Instead of a serving size, I cut it down but don’t know how to account for it🥴
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    ginaoverly wrote: »
    How do you put in a different amount when you only have certain options? Instead of a serving size, I cut it down but don’t know how to account for it🥴

You can put in fractions of whatever unit is available e.g. 0.6 servings. Sometimes it's easier to just look for another entry on the database for the same foods but with more units available e.g. grams instead of servings.