Weight Loss and Muscle Gain

Options
Is it possible to lose weight and bulk up at the same time? If so how would you recommend doing it. Im 42 and just starting at the gym again. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• soldodunja81
    soldodunja81 Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Yes
    It will help speed up your metabolism as well
    How ever cardio is the best for fat loss! I say do what feels right. When I had more fat I actually felt like I was craving more cardio than I do Now. Listen to ur body cause every 1 is different. I do recommend doing some kind of strength training just because that will tone you and also it’s a workout too and it will help you burn fat even after you’re done the workout.
  • bobschmidt21
    bobschmidt21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes and No. You can as a beginner. It’s possible to see some significant muscle growth as your burn through fat stores when youre starting out. But over time you’ll see diminishing returns. The truth is your body needs to be in a calorie surplus in order for it to have enough raw material to repair and build muscle. But in order to burn fat you need to be in a caloric deficit. (Burning more calories than you take in).

I would absolutely still recommend lifting weights as you lose fat. It will help you maintain the muscle you currently have as much as possible provided you’re eating enough protein. (1g per lb of body weight). As the fat comes off, your body will reveal the muscle you have underneath.

Check out Renaissance Periodization on Youtube. Dr Mike has a some great videos with science behind them. I found him about a year and a half ago and it changed my life. Get after it brother! I’m 38 and I’m right behind you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,883 Member
    Options
    People can potentially add a little muscle mass alongside losing weight, but it will be slower than if in a calorie surplus. Things that favor it happening would be slow fat loss (small calorie deficit), a good progressive strength training program faithfully performed, good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively adequate protein), relative youth, relative maleness, favorable genetics, being new to strength training, being materially overweight to start.

At worst, lifting during fat loss will help preserve existing muscle tissue (a good thing, since it's pretty slow/hard to rebuild), and (if new to strength training or resuming after a long hiatus) increase strength (which increases initially from neuromuscular adaptation, i.e., better recruiting and utilizing existing muscle tissue, an effect that will happen faster than gaining new muscle fibers).

Cardio burns more calories per minute than strength training, typically; but from a fitness/health standpoint it's good to do both cardiovascular and strength exercise. If you're starting from ground zero, ramp up total volume/intensity gradually, for best results.

As an aside, it's not necessary to be in the fat burning zone during cardio. The fat burning zone is just about what fuel substrate is being used in the moment during the exercise. If we're in a calorie deficit overall, burning more calories in total than we eat, we'll burn fat sooner or later to make up the difference, because energy doesn't come from nothing. As a person trying to lose weight, why would we care if we burn that fat during exercise, or during sleep? If we're in a deficit, we'll burn it, no worries.

The "fat burning zone" is a concern for endurance athletes who need to manage fueling during long exercise sessions. Loosely, low intensity exercise burns more fat as a percentage of the calorie burn, higher intensity exercise burns more glycogen as a percentage of the calorie burn.

"As a percentage of calorie burn" is a key phrase. Fat vs. glycogen fueling isn't an on/off switch, but rather a gradual transition. Even in fairly intense exercise that's mainly glycogen-fueled (as a percentage), we may burn more fat calories per minute than in less intense exercise that's more fat-fueled (as a percentage), because we're burning more total calories per minute. Percentage arithmetic is tricky, y'know? 😉 Endurance athletes care because they need to manage their glycogen stores so they don't hit the wall, basically.

About the only fueling issue for someone whose goals are fat loss and muscle gain would be avoiding the dumb "all intense cardio all the time" mindset that parts of the pop-fitness blogosphere promote. "All intense all the time" is disproportionately fatiguing, can can even bleed calorie burn out of our daily life activity level (because we rest more the remainder of the day, basically). Very intense exercise tends to be self-limiting in duration (we just can't keep going). More moderate exercise can be done longer, if we have the time available, and not burn out our energy. All high intensity is also not the best route to fitness: Elite athletes don't train high intensity all the time, why would us regular duffers do it?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bulking up means gaining muscle AND gaining weight.

But yes some muscle can be added while losing weight.
    It is much, much, harder to achieve for well trained, already quite lean people but they are becoming a bit of a minority these days. :(

"Restarting at the gym" is definitely to your advantage as it's easier to regain what you once had before a training break. You don't have to be a beginner.
    Would suggest keeping your calorie deficit small / rate of weight loss slow, high protein intake and really work at the quality of your training as that's what initiates and drives the process.

BTW - even if people don't manage to add any significant muscle while losing weight doing the right things gives them whatever their personal possible best results happen to be. That might be retaining the maximal amount of muscle and getter stronger.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes and No. You can as a beginner. It’s possible to see some significant muscle growth as your burn through fat stores when youre starting out. But over time you’ll see diminishing returns. The truth is your body needs to be in a calorie surplus in order for it to have enough raw material to repair and build muscle. But in order to burn fat you need to be in a caloric deficit. (Burning more calories than you take in).

I would absolutely still recommend lifting weights as you lose fat. It will help you maintain the muscle you currently have as much as possible provided you’re eating enough protein. (1g per lb of body weight). As the fat comes off, your body will reveal the muscle you have underneath.

Check out Renaissance Periodization on Youtube. Dr Mike has a some great videos with science behind them. I found him about a year and a half ago and it changed my life. Get after it brother! I’m 38 and I’m right behind you.

The bolded is not even remotely true. If it were no-one at the gym while maintaining their weight would ever add any muscle!
    Muscle breakdown and muscle protein synthesis (repair and build in your terminology) are happening constantly. Yes a surplus can be beneficial and help tip the balance between the two opposing processes but it is not a requirement.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Not answering your question (as Ann already aced that!) but since you’re new back at the gym I just wanted to drop a reminder not to be discouraged if you see weight loss stall or indeed weight gain for a few weeks as your body adjusts to the training and retains water to help with muscle repair & recovery.

Just be patient and hang in there for a month if it does all go squiffy.