running shoes

Options
I need supportive gym shoes for running. I took a friends advice and decided to start interval training to build up to full on extended running. I've been using my normal gym shoes for power walking and cardio classes but...they are cheap and no longer supportive.

Does anyone know of any affordable brands that have good structure/support and will last me at least a few months at a time?

I am on a tight budget.

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You’ve definitely been given very good advice. Go to a running store to be fitted for running shoes. They will be able to determine what type of shoes is suited for your gait.

I run in a neutral shoe with cushion which works well for my gait. However my son needs a support shoe even just for walking due to the way his ankles turn in when he walks.

I generally spend around $130-150 for a good pair of running shoes. (Brooks Ghost) They will typically last me for outdoor running 6-9 months. Once I start consistently getting aches in my knees and hips I switch to a fresh pair. I do not toss out my old shoes. My old shoes are rotated into casual wear.

It sounds like you are fairly new to running. I highly recommend the Couch to 5k program. It is paced very well to help condition your body to running. It’s important to take things slowly so that you can avoid injury.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above. One tip is once you get fit by a running store I also shop for retired or older models of the same shoe which can be quite discounted once a new model comes out. I also prefer Brookes Glycerin and run alot of miles so always look for a good deal myself.
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I recently completed c25k after a 10 year break from running. I highly recommend the program. Structure is what I needed to get back into running again.

Yes Yes Yes get fitted for a proper running shoe. I pronate and need structure. I prefer the Saucony brand. You need the proper shoe to prevent the aches and hopefully injury which might follow.

All of the advice above is good. Once you have a shoe brand and style that works, you can then start shopping for last years model to save some $.

Best of luck to you.

Edit for PS:
    Do not buy the shoe just for a color or appearance you like. I find some of the running colors to not be my choice stylistically, but if they give me the fit and support I need, its all good. Who cares that the color combination might be the most obnoxious footwear ever. :D
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a store and get a treadmill gait analysis. Tell them your budget, any good store will help you get the best shoes for YOU and that suit your bank balance too.

The brand & shoe model that suits one friend is likely not the same that you need and not the same for your other friends. Just because Hoka suit one person, another will swear by Brooks or whatever. In reality it all comes down to your personal biomechanics and Over/Under pronation etc.

It’s helpful if you take your old shoes so they can see the pattern of sole wear underneath and mention any issues you’re having. Eg if you’re struggling with shin splints then a more cushioned shoe may help.

Enjoy trying out a few pairs until you find ‘the one’.
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Ideally agree with others about a professional fitting, but maybe hard within a "tight budget". Every manufacturer builds each model or several on a proprietary "last" that generally remains reliable once it's found to fit a given foot, why some brands will never do at any price and often an affordable model can fit and feel better. My best budget tip is to first try inserting a quality replacement sports/hiking insole (I quite like "Sorbothane", there are others) into current or affordable shoes to see if that's the silver bullet - insoles are inexpensive, can last much longer and be reusable through many different pairs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'd really depends on the type.of support needed. I have found that Mizuno wave inspires last me the longest of any brand I have tried. But they are not always easy to find. So I have branched out to Brooks and Saucony. I hate when brands change the model from year to year. I loved the Brooks revel 3s, hated the 4s.🤷🏼‍♀️
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,322 Member
    Options
    I understand the tight budget, but buying a pair that will only last 1-2 months isn't very budget friendly. If you can spend a little more upfront, you can get shoes that will last quite a bit longer, say 6-8 months.

As others have said:
    1. Shop previous models
    2. Go to a local running store for at least your first pair, they will fit you and will know if there are any older models where they can help you out with price.
    3. Once you know what you like it's ok to shop around for deals. My hubby runs long distances and gets new shows every 3-4 months we try to buy at the local running store, but occasionally the chain stores (like Foot Locker) will have buy one get one half off on Brooks and we can't pass that up. Again it's a bigger upfront investment, but it saves in the long run.
    4. Don't worry about color. I have an awful pair of blue/orange running shoes that were on clearance at the running store as they were a previous years model. They fit like a dream.
    5. Once the shoes outlast their running days, make them casual shoes to extend their usefulness. At low mileages, you can get a good 6-8 months out of the runners and another 3 months casual easy. Then after casual, mine go to lawn mowing status until they get too nasty to wear lol...

I like Brooks Adrenaline when I'm a little lighter, but am currently running in the Glycerin both of which are neutral shoes, but the Glycerin GTS is a little more supportive for my needs (Glycerin GTS was formerly Transcend if you are looking for older models of that shoe). I think I got previous years model for around $90-100, and this years model were closer to $150. I've not tried the Brooks Launch, but they are a less expensive neutral shoe, starting around $110, probably $80-90 for last years model.

Still if you are looking at 8 months of running you would have bought 4 pairs of shoes that only last for 2 months...

Good luck!
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bought my new balance 1080 v12. EXTREMELY comfortable, huge upgrade from my previous v11.
    7g3wb24gnn2u.jpg

• SwimBikeRun_Mom
    SwimBikeRun_Mom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    All great advice above! I will add three notes!
    1. At the running store, ask if they have a loyalty program or something like that - and sign up for it. After you spend a certain amount, or buy a certain number of pairs of shoes, they'll often have a great discount. For example - at my running store I just got a $55 discount on my latest pair. (Granted I don't remember how much I've spent to get that discount - but if you need good quality running shoes, you're going to have to spend that money anyway. Might as well sign up for a discount program!)
    2. For your very first run - try to run on a treadmill. This way - if after your first run you realize you made a mistake and these are NOT as comfortable as they were in the store, a good running store will be able to take them back and help you choose a better shoe. This varies from store to store so ask before you buy if you're not confident in your pick. But, often if it's a short run on a treadmill, they might make an exchange for you.
    3. Getting a proper fit is key as everyone has said. Theoretically, you could get fitted for a shoe at a running store, and then buy your next pair at a discounted store or online if you can find the same shoe. BUT - be careful when doing this, as with each new model of shoe sometimes the brand makes changes to the shoe that make it fit differently. You can google the shoe brand, model, and number to find out if major changes were made. **I did this once - I have always worn the Brooks "Adrenaline" shoe. I got a gift card for a big box sporting goods store. I don't remember when this was, let's say I was wearing the "13" and the "15" had just come out. So I grabbed the Brooks Adrenaline 15 assuming it was "the exact same shoe" and boy was I wrong. I had a lot of problems with these shoes. I did some research online and found out that Brooks had made major changes to the Adrenaline 15 which essentially made the shoe more narrow and made it fit about a half size smaller. Since I bought it at the big box sporting good store, my only option was to exchange for another pair of Brooks Adrenaline 15's, although I could get a different size. I ended up going to my local running store, telling them what happened - and they helped me figure out what different size I should get, in order to make the new 15's fit as similar to the 13's as possible. I ended up going up a size and going with a wide shoe. I thanked the running store owner profusely for spending all that time with me, and have been loyal there every since. Don't make my mistake :wink: