Rice Calories

Options
I have constantly heard from multiple sources that 1/4 of a cup of rice is 100 calories. Many of these sources come from the box of rice itself. I have been wondering if it means that 1/4 cup of rice is 100 calories uncooked or cooked. 100 calories seems a lot for a measly quarter cup of rice. Does anyone have any thoughts on the CORRECT measurement on this. I know that 1/4 of a cup uncooked is a lot less in size then it is after it is cooked. I have no idea what the correct amount of calories it is. I know this site has multiple calorie counts for rice in the database but they are all different and they all range. If anyone has any thoughts please let me know.

Thanks
-Ashley

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    From the rice i eat, put into MFP:

Rice - White, long-grain, regular, cooked, 1.5 cup 308

No idea where a quarter of a cup is 100 calories....
  • e_amanda
    Options
    DH & had this argument last time we made rice with dinner. The packaging didn't specify if it was 1/4 cup cooked or uncooked. I really hope it's uncooked because that's a measly little portion of cooked rice for 100 cal!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I believe it says uncooked on the packaging, but yes, I am sure it is uncooked.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-rice-white-medium-grain-cooked-i20051

i always supplement with google :D since 1/2 a cup would be about 125 calories according to this (and other sites i checked), and rice roughly doubles when cooked, it looks like 1/4 cup=100 calories would be for uncooked :)
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on the source. When I look up data for rice, the first thing that came up was 1cup cooked white rice at 169 calories.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I checked on the web when I was wondering the same thing. 1 cup cooked = 213 calories, so 1/4 cup cooked must be about 53 or so. Some of the sites I checked were a little higher or lower.... but all in the 200 calorie range for 1 cup cooked.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 cup of cooked rice

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 15Calories 213

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 1.69g 3%
    Saturated Fat 0.354g 2%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.485g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.728g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 581mg 24%
    Potassium 55mg
    Total Carbohydrate 43.67g 15%
    Dietary Fiber 0.6g 2%
    Sugars 0.08g
    Protein 4.17g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2% Iron 10%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database SR18
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    With dry foods like rice, pasta, beans, etc. it's generally uncooked.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Minute Rice White 1/2 cup dry 200 calories off box