Rex's daily fitness journal - warning: out of shape shirtless dude pics

Options

Replies

• FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Day 4: 3.32 miles in 65 min. Run was a little tough today. Barbell Shoulder Press 3x8 @65lbs, 3x7 @75lbs.
    70j1ct45pbn0.jpg
    7shpdtgpn85b.jpg
  • FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Day 4 weigh in: 214.2 lbs.
  • FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Thanks mrmota70. For now I have a plan and I'll adjust as it goes. Every plan needs tweaks. I am an experienced runner and I think that most inexperienced runners who tend to push too hard beyond their ability should worry about injuries, but I ran for years with a heart pacer and I am able to run well within my limits without one. Also, people with a reasonable amount of running under their belt with good form are able to find a comfortable stride and their feet often lift less than 1 inch as they run. This is critically important to have an efficient stride both for mechanics and energy efficiency over time. My feet are always so close to the ground that I never have issues with pounding on my ankles, knees, hips nor joints. I've seen inexperienced runners doing the goose step or emulating sprinters lifting their knees way up high. If you're doing that, yes worry about injuries. But I think a lot of this criticism of running is written by people who haven't run very much or other type-A people who go way too hard beyond their ability and are quickly injured.
    I used to run about 2,000 miles per year at 42. Will I be able to run that at 52? I don't know, but my father is 80 and runs 5 miles a day 6 days a week. My mother is 78 and runs 6.2 miles 6 days a week. Who knows if I'll get there, We'll have to see. :)
  • FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Day 5: Jogged 3.34 miles in 65 minutes. Run was again a little challenging. Lat Pull Downs 6x8 @120 lbs.
    km7bpvtt329x.jpg
    wfm2bh7ezrhy.jpg

• FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Thinking about injuries, I think that I was more prone to injury 10 years ago because I was more willing to take my training past my limits back then. It's rooted in greed for gains that I hadn't properly developed the fundamentals for. These days I don't have the same need to push past my limits. I suppose that's one benefit of being older. Not that I am wiser with age, but more guarded about injury and health than when I was younger. When I was younger I felt invincible. These days I'll take a small or moderate win that takes me toward my goals. When I was younger I had a lot of insecurities about getting to my goals. When older I get the sense that another bus will come right along if I miss this one. I was competing with others externally when I was younger. These days I compete with myself to be my best self -- slowly. :)
  • FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Day 6 morning weigh in 214.2lbs.
  • Kiwi2mfp
    Kiwi2mfp Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thinking about injuries, I think that I was more prone to injury 10 years ago because I was more willing to take my training past my limits back then. It's rooted in greed for gains that I hadn't properly developed the fundamentals for. These days I don't have the same need to push past my limits. I suppose that's one benefit of being older. Not that I am wiser with age, but more guarded about injury and health than when I was younger. When I was younger I felt invincible. These days I'll take a small or moderate win that takes me toward my goals. When I was younger I had a lot of insecurities about getting to my goals. When older I get the sense that another bus will come right along if I miss this one. I was competing with others externally when I was younger. These days I compete with myself to be my best self -- slowly. :)

I injured my knee running in the military. THEY push a person sometimes more than one should go. Tore my meniscus. I eventually tore the other meniscus, I believe due to the military neglecting the first one as long as they did. Therefore, I'm not fond of running anymore. Being told at 24 years old that I will definitely need both knees replaced by the time I'm 75 kind of steered me away from running or jogging anymore. My knees are a mess!
  • FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Day 6: First week is over. Rest day tomorrow. Ran 3.16 miles. It was unbearably hot today and was feeling tired. Lots of hydration. Barbell shoulder press 3x8 @75lbs, 3x7 @85lbs.
    9fui3u7s6ds5.jpg
    j4v8wfd4owe8.jpg
  • FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Day 7: Morning weigh-in 215lbs.
  • FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Bought a few prepack salads with grilled chicken at Trader Joe's for $5.50 each. Easy to pick up when hungry and eat until I get tired of them. Gotta have healthy options within reach for when I get hungry. Just tossed this one in a bowl and ate it all. Yum. :)
    2cp8es9xej7f.jpg
  • FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Week 1 recap:
    Ran 19.47 miles over 6 training sessions.
    Did 3 days of lat pulldowns and 3 days of barbell shoulder press.
    Had steak on Sunday. Don't regret it one bit. :)
    ciyowi2q0xkq.jpg
    a61vf6qjxhgu.jpg
    658jntn3rek5.jpg
    cvhcxt43x3g1.jpg

• FunkmasterRex
    Options
    I thought I would be stiffer for longer in my legs due to lactic acid build up from my sudden runs. Surprisingly after day 3 my legs felt fine after my runs. Looks like I'm flushing the lactic acid in my legs better than I expected. My upper body is not flushing the lactic acid as quickly so still sore in the shoulders and arms but it seems to be getting better over the course of the week.
  • FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Kiwi2mfp wrote: »
    I injured my knee running in the military. THEY push a person sometimes more than one should go. Tore my meniscus. I eventually tore the other meniscus, I believe due to the military neglecting the first one as long as they did. Therefore, I'm not fond of running anymore. Being told at 24 years old that I will definitely need both knees replaced by the time I'm 75 kind of steered me away from running or jogging anymore. My knees are a mess!
    Sorry to hear that. Looks like you caught a tough break. It's not like you can say no to the military - that's what you sign up for. Hope that you are staying fit through other ways. Let me know if you are logging on another thread and I'll look you up. I bet that you didn't let that setback hold you back from the goals you wanted to achieve.

• FunkmasterRex
    Options
    Day 8 morning weigh-in: 212.8 lbs. :)
  • fatty2begone
    fatty2begone Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am a slow runner, just started back at it after a 10 year break. (I have always been a slow runner). I had to complete c25k as I could barely run for 1.5 minutes straight. I am now back to 3 to 4 mile runs, only 3 x weekly. I would like to get to 4 x weekly, but I need the recovery time still. BTW I am 53, soon to be 54. I average between 12 and 13.5 minute mile, so yes slow, but improving. 14+ MM average in april.

I have started doing some light weight upper body workout, and definitely need to increase volume and weights. I really was interested in the kettlebell, however, I tweaked my back and am scared to start again without proper training.

I just wanted to post, there is nothing wrong with your running slow time. Who cares if others are walking faster then your run. You are working different muscle groups and improving your stamina. Your ability to complete an hour is amazing!

Best luck in you journey. I will be lurking to follow your post.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're off to a great start! I love when people post like this, because it helps show the reality of what weight loss looks like.... there will be days your weight drops a bit, days it stays the same, and even days it goes up, but if you stick with it it will continue in a downward trend over time. Awesome work!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    I love your outlook. And the story about your parents is so sweet. How great that they took up running later in life. My mom realized that she was getting fat at 65 and took up walking. She's 87 and still walks 4 miles at least 3x/week. My dad does nothing and is 88 and pretty darn healthy, although overweight. I'm with you on the slow and steady train. I'm overweight from Covid re-gain, but I also have different goals than I did in 2019.

Best of luck to you!
  • FunkmasterRex
    Options
    @f2b - Looks like we are on a similar track. Hope that we get to our goals this year. :)
    @sollyn23l2 - Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. :)
    @girlwithcurls2 - Getting to our 80s reasonably fit is something to strive for. Best to your parents and let's reach our goals this year! :)

Day 8: Day was overcast so much cooler today than Wednesday. Felt sluggish as I started my run but got in the groove quickly and run was fairly easy. Ran 3.4 miles in 65 minutes. Lat pull downs 2x8 @120 lbs, 4x8 @130 lbs.

s4p8o12iv341.jpg
    1zoa7utl53iw.jpg