Teachers - when do you find time to work out?!:noway:

Replies

• NicoleMikluscak
    Options
    Teachers - when do you find time to work out?!:noway:
  • ASHNBLAKE
    ASHNBLAKE Posts: 13
    Options
    Im not a teacher....but I work full time in a medical office and have 2 sons ages 5 years and 6 months and finding time for me is soo hard after the day is said and done. It takes every ounce of me to actually do something. I have been watching calories and drinking water for a couple weeks now but have just started exercising every night for at least 1/2 hour after the kids go to bed and the house is picked up.

Kim

162035.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • rsalgado
    rsalgado Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I know, right? I try to work out when I get home around 4:30, but I am sooo exhausted! It hasn't been going well lately. You'll have to let me know what you find out. I always try to work out on the weekend at least, but even that is hard after grading and lesson plans.
  • Mickie17
    Mickie17 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I just got done with a big workout...but I have to break it up througout the day. I usually get up at 5am and do my knee rehabilitaion on my Spin Cycle. At lunchtine, I take a 15 min walk to rev up mt metabolism, then I workout for an hour+ when I get home. To cool down, I take my dogs for a walk...right after I log in my exercise...so that's where I'm off to now!!! :happy:
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I make an appointment at my gym at 4:30 2 days a week then 9am Saturday mornings. It's a little rough, but once you get into a routine it works out alright. I make sure I get a lot more done during the day at work because I try not to take much home with me. I have 2 kids too ( 18 months and 4 years).
  • mmackie
    mmackie Posts: 93
    Options
    I bring all my stuff ready in a gym bag and go when I leave work. I don't go home first, because then I will definitely not want to go.

I am an elementary Special Education teacher so I can usually leave work by around 3:30 (unless I have a meeting). I live and work close to my gym though. I usually workout on Saturdays too... that makes 5-6 days per week if I plan really good.

Good Luck! :tongue:
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm student teaching right now, and I have to tell you that has been my biggest struggle! I loooove working out - and I would rather work out in the morning to start my day off right. But! My commute to the school I'm interning at is about 45 minutes away and I have to leave at 6:30 A.M. Not that this would be a problem, but the student rec buildling doesn't open until 6 A.M.! UGGGHHH!

I've been pretty good about it - it's just hard to be motivated when you get home at 6 at night to pull out the workout clothes.

Stay active during the day, do some lunges/squats while the kiddos are at lunch and take a walk around the school to keep up your metabolism!

keep up with it... I think we need to start a teacher support group. Any takers? :happy:
  • meatball
    meatball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    well, it is tough. I find that it is only hard up until I actually start working out and then it just sort of "happens" lately, my butt has been pretty kicked because I also coach track (unfortunately I can't just work out with the team) and our season started and I have been doing pretty intensive labs for about 3 weeks, so I am constantly on alert. It is not that hard physically, but it is mentally very draining, plus I am on my feet for 7.5 hoursplus 2 for track. I try to run at least 2 miles every day, plus weight training. It usually only takes me about an hour after I get home. By the way, I teach high school, human anatomy and physiology and biology, what do you teach?

Oh, I also have some colleagues that I have talked into running after school, but I have not been able to join them since track started. We did run every day in the fall though... The only thing to watch for are rumors, if you teach, you know how that works. Only took 3 weeks for it to start that me and the female teacher that was working out with our little group were an item. Other 2 guys wanted to know why it was so unreasonable that she couldn't be with them. it was so funny...
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    When I worked at an afternoon school, I had time during the day. Now, I work at a 9 - 5 school, and the gym doesn't open until noon. I head right to the gym after the bell or last meeting - absolutely no excuse, not even planning. Sometimes, on the treadmill, I think about the next days, which can make my planning go faster, because then I just write down my lesson plans. Also, I do a mega-workout on the weekends, trying to double my calories burned.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    I am not a teacher but I just want to tell you how much I admire all of you. I homeschool my kids and they test my patience :smile: so having a whole classroom, WHEW!!! Sorry I am off topic but just wanted to say thanks for educating our future leaders! :flowerforyou:
  • NicoleMikluscak
    Options
    Great ideas everyone - I teach third grade and I have 32 kids in my class so when the end of the day comes, I am wiped out. But I have been bringing my gym bag to school three times a week and try to leave as soon as I can. I am totally up for the support group! This is my fourth year teaching - I love it, but it is hard! (today was french toast, sausage and hasbrowns at school - ha ha ha - not for me though!) Hang in there guys - we need to stick together!

PS - oh and I TOTALLY know about the gossip thing! Brutal! Stay out of the teacher's lounge! ha ha
  • tpatter
    tpatter Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am dance teacher at my middle school, so I use the gym or workout with my track team. I usually do 30 minutes during my conference period or I split it up. It really sucks when I don't get it in. But right now I'm training with a coworker for a 5k in May, so that has been my motivation to get it in no matter what!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    5 am :laugh:

It sucks but what works for me. I teach Art so I find I have prep in the afternoon then I dont leave enough time to work out plus I work in a windowless building so I want to get out. I also have just been leaving earlier than usual and running before I get the kids. Sometimes I feel quilty but I know Im doing whats good for me so its worth it.
  • NicoleMikluscak
    Options
    Hey guys - something fun for you from me! Have a good day - it's almost Friday! :flowerforyou:

Jeff Foxworthy on School Employees

1. YOU might be a school employee if you believe the playground should be equipped with a Ritalin salt lick.

2. YOU might be a school employee if you want to slap the next person who says, 'Must be nice to work 8 to 3:30 and have summers off.

3. YOU might be a school employee if it is difficult to name your own child because there's no name you can come up with that doesn't bring high blood pressure as it is uttered.

4. YOU might be a school employee if you can tell it's a full moon or if it going to rain, snow, hail....anything!!! Without ever looking outside.

5. YOU might be a school employee if you believe, 'shallow gene pool' should have its own box on a report card.

6. YOU might be a school employee if you believe that unspeakable evils will befall you if anyone says, 'Boy, the kids sure are mellow today.'

7. YOU might be a school employee if when out in public, you feel the urge to snap your fingers at children you do not know and correct their behavior.

8. YOU might be a school employee if you have no social life between August and June.

9. YOU might be a school employee if you think people should have a government permit before being allowed to reproduce.

10.. YOU might be a school employee if you wonder how some parents MANAGED to reproduce.

11.. YOU might be a school employee if you laugh uncontrollably when people refer to the staff room as the 'lounge.'

12. YOU might be a school employee if you encourage an obnoxious parent to check into charter schools or home schooling and are willing to donate the U-HAUL boxes should they decided to move out of district.

13. YOU might be a school employee if you think caffeine should be available in intravenous form.

14. YOU might be a school employee if you can't imagine how the ACLU could think that covering your students chair with Velcro and then requiring uniforms made out of the corresponding Velcro could ever be misunderstood by the public.

15. YOU might be a school employee if meeting a child's parent instantly answers this question, 'Why is this kid like this?'

16. YOU might be a school employee if you would choose a mammogram over a parent conference.

17. YOU might be a school employee if you think someone should invent antibacterial pencils and crayons...and desks and chairs for that matter!

18. YOU might be a school employee if the words 'I have college debt for this?' has ever come out of your mouth.

19. YOU might be a school employee if you know how many days, minutes, and seconds are left in the school year!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I try to fit it in when I get home, about 4:30PM, I am up at 5:30 to be at work by 7:30 (long commute).
    Anyway, somedays I am better then others (time change has kicked my butt).
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I'm stopping at the gym on my way home - about 4:30 or 5.
    Then I put dinner in the oven & hubby & I walk for 30-45 minutes. After dinner, if there's time or energy left, that's when I hit the bike.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I usually go right after school every day! I get too tired if i go home first. What I do that helps is bring a snack to eat on my way to work out... it helps to get me ready to work out because we eat lunch so early at school. It also helps to give me energy for the rest of the night :D
  • kasullivan2
    Options
    Wow! We wonder why obesity is becoming an epidemic for children. You might want to incorporate some simple exercises into the classroom. Your school's occupational therapist may have some ideas on integrating some physical exercise into the day to help all of you out. School is so demanding on teachers and kids and there isn't enough recess.

OT's and PT's often have great ideas for helping with the ADHD kids and sensory kids, but many activities like "heavy work" can help the whole class.

On another note, as a mom with a kid with Aspergers Syndrome, I appreciate how hard teachers work with not only typically developing children but with special needs kids who are also in the classroom. Thanks for teaching and setting a good example of healthy living to children!
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    It's spring break for us - how about you?
    I'm curious to see how other districts handle vacation schedules.
    This week isn't at the end of a semester or a trimester or anything - I can't figure out why we do this.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Spring break this next week for us too. (Next year it will be the following week...according to the calendar).
    Our end of 9 weeks is the week we get back.