Weight Loss Surgery

Options
Hello,

Has anybody here had weight loss surgery? I'm nine months out and looking to share recipes, tips, motivation.

Jodi

Replies

• niobisq
    Options
    May 10th, 2011 Weight Shhh 263lbs- This was my surgery date and the start of my new life. As of today Sept 4th, 2011 weight 194.6lbs.
    I workout everyday and eat health. Would love to share recipes and ideas.
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That is great, What type of surgery did you have? Mine was the Vertical Sleev Gastrectomy or Gastric Sleeve for short. Best decision I ever made.

Do you drink protein shakes?
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery on February 7, 2011. I have a Facebook page with recipes: http://www.facebook.com/groups/162162033864639/
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    3/31/10 - Gastric Bypass. I work out every day and eat healthy and low carb. I've lost 110 pounds. My favorite recipe is a muffin in a minute:

1/4 cup flax meal
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    2 tbsp splenda or sf davinci or torani syrup - any flavor
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 egg

mix all ingredients together very well in a large coffee mug and microwave for 1 min 20 sec. This is a fun recipe because you can do whatever you want with it to make a delicious muffin that keeps you regular. (always a problem with wls!) Makes a HUGE muffin that I can only eat 1/2 of at a time. Usually I'll slice it up and put smart balance on it.

Yesterday I made one with sf german choc cake syrup, 2 tbsp cocoa powder, tbsp sliced almonds and tbsp sf choc chips.

Today I'm having a carrot cake one with grated carrot, unsweetened coconut, sf coconut syrup, chopped pecans and a few raisins. Made a frosting of RF cream cheese, packet of splenda and 1/2 tsp vanilla. I'll slice the muffin and put the frosting on the slices.

I've also made one with peanut butter in it and then I toast the slices and put butter and peanut butter on.

Or you can skip microwaving it and make it into 2 smaller pancakes or 1 large pancake. I usually put a few blueberries in when I do this and top with sf maple syrup.

Its the most versitile recipe and good for all stages of wls. I always add the cinnamon though as it cuts the flax meal taste. Don't over cook. If it looks a little wet, just let it sit for a minute or two and it will set up.
  • scubagirl319
    Options
    Kelly, just sent a request to join your group.

Jodi
  • scubagirl319
    Options
    I have seen this recipe in many different variations. My biggest problem is I do not like sweets. Even before the surgery I was not a sweet eater, coffee is black, tea is unsweet, no sugar in anything. I like crispy, crunchy, salty, savory and spicy
  • scubagirl319
    Options
    rachemn,g

Congrats on your weight loss. That is great! It is such a good feeling to be able to do things that were out of our reach before.
  • rachemn
    Options
    Thanks Scuba! You've done AMAZING with your weight loss!! It is so wonderful to be able to things now.

I do love my sweets, but I'm more partial to peanut butter or cheesy foods! lol. I make a lot of crustless quiches with veggies, bacon and loads of cheese. Also made a lasagna the other day with sliced zucchini instead of noodles that turned out awesome.

Have you checked out Susan Maria's bariatric site? They have a wonderful forum and support group online, plus loads and loads of recipes. I follow their plan as opposed to my surgeon's/nutritionists plan as they have many members maintaining their weight loss. My nutrionist told me that over 40% of the people that have wls gain back some or all of their weight. I didn't go through all of this only to gain it back so I'm very careful.

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels! :-D
  • scubagirl319
    Options
    Yes, I signed up on Bariatric Eating even before i had my surgery. Love the recipes on there, also the advice is good. I buy the pure unflavored protein and use it in a lot of soups and stews.

I agree with you, I haven't gone through all of this to gain it back. I'm on several support group sites and sme of the things people do just amaze me. I have made the lasagna with zuchinni too.. Love it.
  • rachemn
    Options
    I love, love love the people on Bariatric Eating as well as the recipes. Linda Farnsworth's recipes are the bomb. She also has her own website called eating well living thin. I've never had a miss with any of her recipes and, if you have questions, she's quick to respond.

I haven't tried the pure unflavored protein yet, but I should. I got the cinnamon apple spice one though and I hate it! So expensive that I haven't tried again. I usually go with Designer Whey or with Unjury. Love Unjury but it's so expensive! Also my new found love is unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Makes a bang up smoothie! I do at least 2 protein shakes a day.

Another good site I've found is genaw.com. It's not a bariatric site, but a low carb recipe site. Lot's of great recipes on there and the gal that posts reviews all the recipes too.
  • ansley1
    Options
    i had the lap band surgery 3 yrs ago. i had lost 70..gained 20 and now down 60. i still have 70 more to go. i cant do the muffins/pancakes/breads or i get "stuck" with the lapband.
  • tammaitx
    tammaitx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This recipe sounds great!
  • rachemn
    Options
    Today I made a low carb pumpkin sausage soup that someone else posted and it was AMAZING!!! Super good and perfect for my little pouch! It's on a low carb link and it was a very easy recipe to make too!
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Hi Scuba,
    I had RNY WLS a year ago and it has changed my life. Still looking for recipes, tips, education, on what works to maintain as I am determined not to be one of the regainers.

Thanks for the recipe, I have seen it somewhere before but have not yet tried it. Just realized I have all of the ingredients on hand so that sounds like a good idea for this mornings breakfast.

10324051.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Raihaanah
    Raihaanah Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    HELLO Everyone, i had Lapband 6/22/2010 and feel im doing okay, but at times have set backs and lack of motivation. i sometimes get or keep the ball rolling, but then it slows down. I expected to have reached my goal weight of 160 by the following year of surgery, but..didnt, but it hasnt stopped me from trying. i haven't given up on my band and I know its working for me or else i wouldnt be here today, but I just have to stay focus and get over this this hump. I'm so trying to @least reach 200,let alone ONDERLAND.. So im starting from the beginning with my rules. You all have done a wonderful job and Im so proud of you! Keep up the good work girls and gents!:flowerforyou: :drinker: ,<those are protein drinks..lol