It's not enough to lose weight. We need to be healthier and happier.

Options
I didn't think the title of this thread needed to be said, but I find myself saying it almost every day here. Most people try to lose weight in order to be healthier and therefore happier. But when I read these boards, people seem so willing to trade off health and happiness, essentially giving these up, in order to lose weight. If so, then what is the reason that you are trying to lose weight?

Ok. Frustration and desperation can be something that many are experiencing after having led lifestyles that we didn't expect for many reasons. We can be angry and frustrated at ourselves for the choices that we have made in the past. We can regret accidents or illnesses that incapacitated us for a long time. But you have to let go of blaming yourself and punishing your own bodies for the harm that you, some other person or fate brought upon you. Easier said than done, but the energy that you have to punish yourself can be used to learn about and introduce new habits that are accretive to your well-being and happiness.

I hope that all of you will be constructive about how you craft the way you move forward in life instead of wrecking and punishing your bodies in order to lose 5lbs in the next 5 days. If you care to, please share what constructive things you have found that helped you move forward long-term and has improved your life. <3

Replies

• moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Good thread.
    Personally realising that at 66, if I am going to lose weight I need to do it slowly in a manner that is manageable. Some days I may overeat but no longer let this sabotage me. In fact for me I think I probably need to ease off every now and then. Somehow mentally it is a kind of release, if that makes sense.
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Mindfulness when eating. We can reach for garbage and eat mindlessly when busy or stressed. Mindfulness in meal prep, shopping and when enjoying our food, especially when sharing it with loved ones and friends gives me a boost. And with mindfulness, also gratitude for living in a land of plenty with ample choices, even if we live in a sea of bad ones. Taking over the helm of what we choose to nourish us, and learning about those foods that bring out our best selves. <3
  • FunkmasterRex
    FunkmasterRex Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I had a coach back when I was still doing competitive sports. The best advice he gave me was really simple. He said: "FMF, sport is done so that you can improve your health, body, mind and spirit. It is not done to destroy those things." When you are in competitive sports, people go to great lengths to obtain a competitive edge, e.g. steroids or overtraining to the point of injury, ignoring your injuries so that you can compete harder for longer, trading your future health and well-being for a current win. To me there are few things that make me more sad than a washed-up boxer going into the ring when clearly not up to the task, and getting knocked around for an hour so that he can collect a paycheck and feed his family.

Interestingly I find that people here similarly are willing to let go of many things, including their health, sanity, happiness, fulfilling meals just to see a a number move on a scale. When you exercise, you have to be very careful, thoughtful and intentional about whether what you are doing is improving the whole you over long periods of time. Do not trade your future health for a weigh loss win today. You will give that back and have the same challenges later with bad habits to correct later. Ask yourself, what is the correct thing to do now to build a better future for me later? Don't take large strides, but gather small wins consistently and they will snowball into something greater.

Also, don't become enamored with what works for you now. It may not work for you tomorrow because tomorrow you will not be the same person that you were today. Learn how your body reacts and adjusts to change and be ready to meet that moment with the knowledge of what to do or at least the ability to learn how to meet that moment. Best of luck to all of you.