60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 thanks for the beautiful picture. I'd love to try rowing. Maybe one day when I'm on holiday somewhere that has a rowing club I can trade my paddles for oars. 🙂

Meal Plans: I find that for me, most meal plans have foods that require too much cooking or are wasteful. For example "Day 2 breakfast: half an avacado". But what do I do with the other half until Day 2 cycles round again??

Here's my meal plan and I managed to lose 90 pounds, though I realize it's not for everyone. I eat the same thing for breakfast most days: plain Greek yoghurt, berries, and a homemade muffin. When I was working I ate the same thing for lunch most days. On Sundays I'd make a big pot of soup or a big bowl of salad. Every day I'd take a portion, plus some protein, which might be leftover meat from the night before or a can of tuna. My husband and I generally eat the same dinner, though my plate has more veggies and I rarely eat rice or potatoes (taste to calorie ratio not big enough for me).

And that's my meal plan. Most days I ate 1200 calories but I was never one to turn down a piece of birthday cake or a glass of wine for a special occassion. Notice I say "special", not "regular". I usually ate back about half my earned exercise calories. Since retirement I've managed to put a few pounds back which I'm dealing with at the moment however I'm still within a "normal" BMI (though at the high end). I just like the way my clothes fit when my weight is a little lower.

I agree that easy is what works for me also. I usually eat the same breakfast everyday of oat bran hot cereal with 2 tablespoons of chia seeds. Simple no cook lunches and rotating dinners during the week. Sometimes on weekends I'll fix a large batch of chili in the crockpot and freeze in individual containers for lunches or dinners throughout the week. I make it with 6 different kinds of beans and 93% lean well drained ground beef. Each serving has lots of beans and very little beef.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,800 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I love this photo. You are in your happy place and look terrific!
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I love this photo. You are in your happy place and look terrific!

Agreed, Ann I'm sure your funk has lifted! So nice to be approaching Summer.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    Yep ... we who have been working on our weight for a long time have all found ways that work for us ... and that is exactly as it ought to be ... your taste buds, your lifestyle, your comfort with preparing meals, your dietary needs or restrictions ... no one plan can possible work for everyone, or maybe not even for the next person!

You have to do the work. There is no fast and easy solution.

So true!!!!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I just started yesterday. When the Covid lockdowns came my lifestyle was so disrupted. My husband is a junk food guy. I was trapped for 15 weeks with him. I started eating junk food was unable to go to the gym. Now I am so overweight that I have breathing problems and mobility issues. Seeing a picture of myself brought me here.

Welcome!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @Crash_Lynn82 Welcome! I do understand the junk food dilemma! This is a wonderful place to come for support.
  • swimmom_1
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 Glad to hear from you Steve and glad to hear your hanging in there. Tough times and dilemmas. ♡
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    Welcome to all the new people!! I'm doing ok right now. I've had a couple of hungry days but I've hung in with them. Eating more protein has helped me with the hunger. I've been walking more. Progress is slow but steady with some fluctuations still happening. I have found if I just keep doing the right things they even out over time. This is a tough journey and it's hard not to get impatient sometimes. But I am feeling better and feeling more in control of my progress. I hope you are all doing well. The good weather should help us all to get out more and move more.

Restarting exercise for me was a very slow progression since I was recovering from a bad couple months of vertigo and I had just spent 2 years basically just sitting on my couch. I was worried about making my lower back pain worse (exercising did just the opposite) and I was worried about falling due to the dizziness from the vertigo. So I started with a very slow 5 minute walk around my house where I could steady myself with a wall or countertop if I needed. I added a minute a day and gradually increased my speed. I think the slow progression was key to getting back into exercise. It helped me avoid injury and build my confidence that I could indeed do this.

I'm finding the same thing. With me it is my knees. But slow steady progress seems to be helping them too. I try to do a little more each day. The only discouraging part I'm finding is that I can't seem to move faster without risking a fall because the knees seem to give out on me now and then. They also hurt more the faster I try to walk. I'm hoping as I lose more weight that will improve.

In general, I've found that the stronger/fitter I get, the less frequent or severe chronic pain (or even discomfort) is. Finding the right level of challenge - to make progress but not injure myself - is the challenge.

So far (🤞), I've found that patient progression will let me do nearly anything I want to, that isn't completely contraindicated by some prior injury/problem. The trick is finding the right patient route.

When first working out, it was harder to distinguish discomfort that was maybe unpleasant but wasn't making things worse, from pain that was deepening some underlying problem/injury and making things overall worse long term. With experience, it seems like I can better distinguish between those things in the moment, and better manage them.

Weight loss has definitely been a help, a big one, for me. It helped balance as well as the stress on joints.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Welcome to all the new people!! I'm doing ok right now. I've had a couple of hungry days but I've hung in with them. Eating more protein has helped me with the hunger. I've been walking more. Progress is slow but steady with some fluctuations still happening. I have found if I just keep doing the right things they even out over time. This is a tough journey and it's hard not to get impatient sometimes. But I am feeling better and feeling more in control of my progress. I hope you are all doing well. The good weather should help us all to get out more and move more.

Restarting exercise for me was a very slow progression since I was recovering from a bad couple months of vertigo and I had just spent 2 years basically just sitting on my couch. I was worried about making my lower back pain worse (exercising did just the opposite) and I was worried about falling due to the dizziness from the vertigo. So I started with a very slow 5 minute walk around my house where I could steady myself with a wall or countertop if I needed. I added a minute a day and gradually increased my speed. I think the slow progression was key to getting back into exercise. It helped me avoid injury and build my confidence that I could indeed do this.

I'm finding the same thing. With me it is my knees. But slow steady progress seems to be helping them too. I try to do a little more each day. The only discouraging part I'm finding is that I can't seem to move faster without risking a fall because the knees seem to give out on me now and then. They also hurt more the faster I try to walk. I'm hoping as I lose more weight that will improve.

In general, I've found that the stronger/fitter I get, the less frequent or severe chronic pain (or even discomfort) is. Finding the right level of challenge - to make progress but not injure myself - is the challenge.

So far (🤞), I've found that patient progression will let me do nearly anything I want to, that isn't completely contraindicated by some prior injury/problem. The trick is finding the right patient route.

When first working out, it was harder to distinguish discomfort that was maybe unpleasant but wasn't making things worse, from pain that was deepening some underlying problem/injury and making things overall worse long term. With experience, it seems like I can better distinguish between those things in the moment, and better manage them.

Weight loss has definitely been a help, a big one, for me. It helped balance as well as the stress on joints.

I agree with @AnnPT77
    I had a Tibial Plateau fracture in 2015 (put back together with 3 plates and 20 some screws) and since I could not get down on my left knee and very hard to get up if I fell down. After losing 100 lbs I can actually get on my knee to do "girl" pushups! And like Ann said better balance and going up & down stairs, etc. is much much better. More normal. Whether it's true or not they used to say for every lb you lose it's 4 lbs less pressure on your knee. Not sure how that is determined but my knees are much better.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,084 Member
    Options
    Many of our members are 60 plus (some are younger) though we may lose slower (though that's NOT a set rule we have one in her 70s who just went from 170 to 160 in 8 weeks). I am not younger and I just lost 7.5 lbs in 8 weeks. We've done this with the 2022 Spring 5% Challenge, now is everyone chance to join us on the 2022 Summer 5% Challenge, once you hit JOIN please pick a team. You'll absolutely find a LOT of support and care as you work on healthy habits while exercising at your current level. We do not want any injuries from doing to much on exercise,,, but we do wish you the best!! Here's the link:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/143186-2022-summer-5-challenge-community-opens-for-joining-6-5-22
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    Yep ... we who have been working on our weight for a long time have all found ways that work for us ... and that is exactly as it ought to be ... your taste buds, your lifestyle, your comfort with preparing meals, your dietary needs or restrictions ... no one plan can possible work for everyone, or maybe not even for the next person!

You have to do the work. There is no fast and easy solution.

Hear hear! Truth. 👍
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Celebrating those milestones with you, @AnnPT77 ! I tend to eat the same things for breakfast and I try to make it a lower calorie meal so I still have room for lunch and dinner. MFP estimates my calorie goal at 1200, which has been a challenge, but then I have one indulgence meal a week, or at least have done so for most of this weight loss journey. After a bit of a slide over vacation, I'm back at it today, with a primary goal of logging everything again and getting back to my exercise plan. For the newbies, you can do this and it will be worth all those days when you win by saying no to what you really want to say yes to. While it's still a challenge, it gets easier as you start seeing results.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Today I had a new adventure .. my first community lunch at the Senior Center in my new community. There was a very small turnout; not at all like the lunches at which I used to partake at the Amherst Sr Center (which serves a much larger population district than this one does.) .. Still, it was pleasant to meet the handful of new faces; whose names I forgot even though I tried to say them 3 times to seal them into my memory. Also, it is a step in the attainment of a goal I had set for myself when I moved to this new city a couple of months ago ... to get out socially in this new community and make acquaintances, hopefully form some friendships.

The lunch we had today was really quite good and a Nutritionist organized the components to provide a balanced meal ... mashed potatoes, spinach, chicken with mushrooms in a light sauce, whole wheat bread with a pat of butter, applesauce, milk, and pineapple juice. I brought the small can of pineapple juice home with me as that would have been "over the top" in terms of carbs. And, surprisingly, it was quite tasty given that it was cooked with no added salt or fat in any of the dishes. I'll have to try to duplicate the chicken recipe because it was tasty.

• Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

That gives me hope. I have read that before. I can already feel some difference. The knees don't hurt as much as they did when I started. I need to find some exercises that will strengthen the muscles around the knees. I can walk with no problems but stairs, getting out of chairs, or walking up hills are all tough. So I know the muscles around the knees are not as strong as they should be. So that is definitely something I need to work on. I'm glad to hear that the more I lose the better the knees might get.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »

I agree with @AnnPT77
    I had a Tibial Plateau fracture in 2015 (put back together with 3 plates and 20 some screws) and since I could not get down on my left knee and very hard to get up if I fell down. After losing 100 lbs I can actually get on my knee to do "girl" pushups! And like Ann said better balance and going up & down stairs, etc. is much much better. More normal. Whether it's true or not they used to say for every lb you lose it's 4 lbs less pressure on your knee. Not sure how that is determined but my knees are much better.

Thank you!!! I like hearing this. I have also read that every pound puts 4 lb. of pressure on the knee. So no wonder the knees are hurting. Knowing that you both are doing better without the weight is added incentive to keep going. It is very hard to get up if I fall. Thought of falling is scary. I used to get down on the floor all the time and sit there to do things. Now I never get down on the floor. Added weight puts so many restrictions on a person. Thank you for all the encouragement.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

That gives me hope. I have read that before. I can already feel some difference. The knees don't hurt as much as they did when I started. I need to find some exercises that will strengthen the muscles around the knees. I can walk with no problems but stairs, getting out of chairs, or walking up hills are all tough. So I know the muscles around the knees are not as strong as they should be. So that is definitely something I need to work on. I'm glad to hear that the more I lose the better the knees might get.

@Timberlan127, will your doctor refer you for physical therapy? That really helped me. According to what they told me, for many people, strengthening muscles around the knee is an important intervention, and good physical therapy people are really skilled at figuring out which muscle groups are the main problems.

In my case, it wasn't so much knee strength (I'd already been working out for probably a decade by then), but more related to some tightness in my hips, and they gave me exercises to help that. In addition, they gave me great assessment and instructions to help me walk and (especially) climb stairs in ways that would reduce stress on my knees in the future.

It may not apply to you, but some advice they gave that was extremely useful was the observation that as I went up stairs, I was sort of using the leading/front leg's knee to pull myself up, which is more stressful. They encouraged me to think about pushing from the lower/back foot, when climbing stairs - that put more of the work into the calves, not so much on the knee. I can feel a difference, when I work on that.

For knee exercises, maybe see what "Bob & Brad" on YouTube have on video: They're professional physical therapists each with decades of experience, and they have videos on many topics, self-help oriented. (I think some of their advice about diet isn't exactly on point, but that's a bit out of their professional scope of practice, so . . . .). Their exercise recommendations seem good.