Why do I sabotage myself

Options
I have lost 70 lbs before, and gain so back. I'm trying to lose again, and I do good during the week and mess up on weekends. How can I try to stop this cycle 😭

Replies

• JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I found keeping myself busy helps immensely. I fill my weekend full of activities/chores etc. Plus I plan all my meals and snacks out ahead of time.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    What do you think is motivating you to eat things you don't want to be eating on weekends?

What's the script in your head that runs when you make those decisions?
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Moderating or managing our mindset is the most challenging part of anything we want to do.
    Keep your head engaged in the process.

There is an emotional hit of happiness when you eat without delay or moderating yourself on the weekends. Learning not to fall back into the all or nothing mindset, good foods or bad foods, good girl or bad boy mentality is going to take cognitive behavioral changes.

Even those who've been at this for a decade or more can easily be led astray by current moods. We are human. Our individual emotional regulation contributes towards our impulsive or spontaneous choices. Our moods serve and drive us. They make our immediate desires more seductive and enticing.

This wrestling within ourselves is going to go on for the rest of our lives. That's why we ended UP here in the first place. There are super humans who have it all figured out and they just come by all of the right decisions naturally. Their bodies and minds know everything.

Each time a human practices 'delay choice', the ability to repeat that behavior improves. Choosing a distant goal is hard work. Successful people are so deeply rooted in attaining that distant goal that immediate rewards, not attached to that goal, becomes irrelevant. Consistent daily habitual choice builds up to long term success.
  • Manda5352
    Manda5352 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Moderating or managing our mindset is the most challenging part of anything we want to do.
    Keep your head engaged in the process.

There is an emotional hit of happiness when you eat without delay or moderating yourself on the weekends. Learning not to fall back into the all or nothing mindset, good foods or bad foods, good girl or bad boy mentality is going to take cognitive behavioral changes.

Even those who've been at this for a decade or more can easily be led astray by current moods. We are human. Our individual emotional regulation contributes towards our impulsive or spontaneous choices. Our moods serve and drive us. They make our immediate desires more seductive and enticing.

This wrestling within ourselves is going to go on for the rest of our lives. That's why we ended UP here in the first place. There are super humans who have it all figured out and they just come by all of the right decisions naturally. Their bodies and minds know everything.

Each time a human practices 'delay choice', the ability to repeat that behavior improves. Choosing a distant goal is hard work. Successful people are so deeply rooted in attaining that distant goal that immediate rewards, not attached to that goal, becomes irrelevant. Consistent daily habitual choice builds up to long term success.

Thank you
  • VallieeeBabe
    VallieeeBabe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Manda5352 wrote: »
    I have lost 70 lbs before, and gain so back. I'm trying to lose again, and I do good during the week and mess up on weekends. How can I try to stop this cycle 😭

-I’m in the same boat!!! Help! I know what to do it’s just im struggling so bad . I also lost 65lbs and gained most of it back I feel so defeated. I told myself I wouldn’t get this big again . But here I am.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options

I didn't do this as much while losing, but nowadays (in maintenance) I eat a little under calorie goal most days, in order to indulge a bit on other days - "calorie banking". This can be done during loss, but at either phase, I'd keep the differential small (if it's a 5-days-lower-cals thing), like 100-150 calories, tops. Even then, it would be more compatible with a slower overall loss rate, and not a good idea if going pedal-to-the-metal two pounds a week or more loss (even going to 1% a week or more is aggressive at lighter weights, with less to lose).

Some people eat at a calorie deficit during the week - whatever MFP recommends - then at maintenance on weekend, during loss.

If your weekend indulgence is "I've been going hard and darn it I deserve it", consider being less aggressive in your weight loss rate goal. Weight management is a lifelong endeavor for those of us who have a tendency to overweight, not a quick project with an end date, after which things "go back to normal". The latter is the yo-yo lifestyle, probably the most health-risking route.

Because weight management is forever, IMO that puts a premium on figuring out, sometime during weight loss, what the relatively-happy habits are that will keep us at a healthy weight forever almost on autopilot, because willpower/motivation aren't something that many of us can keep going full-bore forever. If you need to eat more on weekends to have a happy life, figure out how to make that work.

Another option to consider is being more active on the weekends, if - like many people - you have more schedule flexibility then. This can be workouts, or just active recreation like walks, biking, dancing, active games (video/VR ones, or outdoor/gym ones), frisbee, pickleball/ping-pong/tennis, etc.

On the other hand, if your weekend indulgence is more about habit, or social triggers, think about how you might replace your old (undesired) habits with new ones that better support your goals. It's usually easier to break a habit by establishing a replacement habit, vs. just going cold-turkey.

If boredom/habit is in the picture, consider resuming an old non-food hobby or starting a new one. Bonus if the hobby requires clean hands (sketching, needlework, playing a musical instrument, etc.) or creates dirty ones (painting, gardening, carpentry, etc.).

If there are social triggers, think how you can be in the social situation in a slightly more calorie-efficient way, either eating/drinking fewer calories, or moving a bit more. It doesn't have to be perfect right ways, maybe just go for a little more goal-supportive habits, a little at a time. Examples: If you enjoy happy hour with your friends, drink a glass of water between each round of alcoholic drinks, and nurse the water a bit like you would the alcohol (if you would); or choose a less caloric drink (like vodka and non-calorie soda). If your friends tend to apply pressure to drink, start with vodka and plain soda plus a slice, quietly ask your server to switch you to soda/slice after the first one (. . . or find more supportive friends . . . ?). If you go out to eat, look over the menus ahead of time, find a bit more healthful or calorie-efficient choice that you'd still enjoy. Thinks that are slow to eat can work better than things that go down quickly, because satiation has more time to kick in with the slower-to-eat food.

Generally, long-term weight management is going to be a sequence of analysis and problem-solving strategies. You don't have to revolutionize everything all at once: If it's easier, just chip away at improvements, and you'll be surprised how far you can go, with persistence over time.

For sure, don't beat yourself up, or feel guilty. It burns no extra calories, and feels icky. Just give a little thought to what you can learn, and experiment with what you can change. You'll do fine.
  • Manda5352
    Options

-I’m in the same boat!!! Help! I know what to do it’s just im struggling so bad . I also lost 65lbs and gained most of it back I feel so defeated. I told myself I wouldn’t get this big again . But here I am.

I know it's rough
  • Manda5352
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I didn't do this as much while losing, but nowadays (in maintenance) I eat a little under calorie goal most days, in order to indulge a bit on other days - "calorie banking". This can be done during loss, but at either phase, I'd keep the differential small (if it's a 5-days-lower-cals thing), like 100-150 calories, tops. Even then, it would be more compatible with a slower overall loss rate, and not a good idea if going pedal-to-the-metal two pounds a week or more loss (even going to 1% a week or more is aggressive at lighter weights, with less to lose).

Some people eat at a calorie deficit during the week - whatever MFP recommends - then at maintenance on weekend, during loss.

If your weekend indulgence is "I've been going hard and darn it I deserve it", consider being less aggressive in your weight loss rate goal. Weight management is a lifelong endeavor for those of us who have a tendency to overweight, not a quick project with an end date, after which things "go back to normal". The latter is the yo-yo lifestyle, probably the most health-risking route.

Because weight management is forever, IMO that puts a premium on figuring out, sometime during weight loss, what the relatively-happy habits are that will keep us at a healthy weight forever almost on autopilot, because willpower/motivation aren't something that many of us can keep going full-bore forever. If you need to eat more on weekends to have a happy life, figure out how to make that work.

Another option to consider is being more active on the weekends, if - like many people - you have more schedule flexibility then. This can be workouts, or just active recreation like walks, biking, dancing, active games (video/VR ones, or outdoor/gym ones), frisbee, pickleball/ping-pong/tennis, etc.

On the other hand, if your weekend indulgence is more about habit, or social triggers, think about how you might replace your old (undesired) habits with new ones that better support your goals. It's usually easier to break a habit by establishing a replacement habit, vs. just going cold-turkey.

If boredom/habit is in the picture, consider resuming an old non-food hobby or starting a new one. Bonus if the hobby requires clean hands (sketching, needlework, playing a musical instrument, etc.) or creates dirty ones (painting, gardening, carpentry, etc.).

If there are social triggers, think how you can be in the social situation in a slightly more calorie-efficient way, either eating/drinking fewer calories, or moving a bit more. It doesn't have to be perfect right ways, maybe just go for a little more goal-supportive habits, a little at a time. Examples: If you enjoy happy hour with your friends, drink a glass of water between each round of alcoholic drinks, and nurse the water a bit like you would the alcohol (if you would); or choose a less caloric drink (like vodka and non-calorie soda). If your friends tend to apply pressure to drink, start with vodka and plain soda plus a slice, quietly ask your server to switch you to soda/slice after the first one (. . . or find more supportive friends . . . ?). If you go out to eat, look over the menus ahead of time, find a bit more healthful or calorie-efficient choice that you'd still enjoy. Thinks that are slow to eat can work better than things that go down quickly, because satiation has more time to kick in with the slower-to-eat food.

Generally, long-term weight management is going to be a sequence of analysis and problem-solving strategies. You don't have to revolutionize everything all at once: If it's easier, just chip away at improvements, and you'll be surprised how far you can go, with persistence over time.

For sure, don't beat yourself up, or feel guilty. It burns no extra calories, and feels icky. Just give a little thought to what you can learn, and experiment with what you can change. You'll do fine.

Thank you this definitely help me look at it in s different view
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    I’d try to break this down. “Weekend” is not a problem that can be solved. It’s coming around again in just a few days and will keep doing it.
    Some of the the weekend issues I’ve dealt with are, I really like going out to lunch on Saturday, sometimes my wife and I like going out to dinner too. There can be a lot of unstructured time, especially Sunday afternoon that seems to lead to unplanned snacking. The kids are around the house and junk food is all over the place.

Each of those has to be addressed one at a time. I had to find plan friendly lunch. Not hard as I like breakfast for lunch on Saturday and egg white omelets are pretty plan friendly. I had to find a dinner place my wife liked where I could get something that worked. I started going to the gym on Sunday afternoons. I also would find dirty household jobs to stay busy.

Weight loss is mostly about problem solving. Solve enough problems and we get to goal.