mood change after loss?

Options
Have any of you experienced a mood change after weight loss? Not in a 'hey, Im so happy, I've lost weight'! kind of way, but in an angry or depressed way? I've noticed that since I've dropped a few lbs, that I've had this weird kind of anger or depression come up. I know that some of us eat to quell emotions and I wonder if losing weight can release some of that baggage somehow? I'm not looking to be told to 'see someone' and talk, etc. Just wondering if you've experienced anything like this?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? How's your protein intake? If you're having sudden depression and the only thing that's changed is this weight loss, you might be losing out on a nutrient, or not eating enough calories. I've found that since working on getting healthier, I'm actually in a better mood, because I'm eating enough protein and making sure to get enough of my other nutrients as well instead of living on simple carbs.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    It maybe just a nurtient or vitamin that you are not getting enough of.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had this happen too. I was super irritable. I posted about it on my profile, and one of my friends suggested that it might be my body withdrawing from the refined sugar and preservatives. I do take a multi-vitamin and fish oil supplements. I think maybe it's just our bodies adjusting. Make sure you are getting enough to eat too. Don't go hungry. I think this might have been part of my problem too. I wait too long to eat.
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    That's happened to me in the past. Even though I was losing and felt better physically, mentally I felt worse, super depressed and hard to keep myself going through a day.

Part of it is because I suffer from depression regularly and a big shift in my life can swing forward a spell of depression, but I've also had someone ask me if I'm mourning. Her theory was that I was mourning my old way of life, I had to give up a whole way of eating and thinking, and she thought that was part of the reason I was depressed.

Made me think. After she said that to me I started to feel better, I decided not to mourn and get my brain into the puzzle that is losing weight and still cooking.

Give it a few more weeks, and if it doesn't abate then maybe you are off on some vitamin or mineral? Could also be withdrawal from something that you used to eat. Sometimes those symptoms don't surface for me for a few weeks to a month later.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There's no doubt a lot of people use food as a medication for something....anger, depression, anxiety, etc. It's very common when you take away that "medicine", those feelings surface. You have to find another way to deal with your problems and if need be, see your doctor. You may benefit from talking to someone like a therapist, if you can't find another way to handle your issues. If you don't find an alternative to food, you'll go back to food, kwim?
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    I have only had this happen once and it was when I tried the Atkins diet for a few days. It was HORRIBLE! So I tend to agree with the others check you nutrients you're probably missing something.

Hope you feel better :)
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry all the time? I really had to change the way I 'diet' when I decide to be healthy. Being hungry just makes me evil and I had to adjust my eating habits to say under calories yet not be hungry.
  • Shanahan09
    Options
    Are you eating enough? How's your protein intake? If you're having sudden depression and the only thing that's changed is this weight loss, you might be losing out on a nutrient, or not eating enough calories. I've found that since working on getting healthier, I'm actually in a better mood, because I'm eating enough protein and making sure to get enough of my other nutrients as well instead of living on simple carbs.

Agree. Or, are eating too many complex carbs? Eating breakfast? I find when I'm eating as clean as I can, and working out consistantly, my mood is even keeled and my outlook is bright and positive. Food affects me big time. If I eat too many starchy foods, I'm a grouch. Do you have food allergies. I'm allergic to several types of food, and they can wreak havoc on me if I eat too much of them.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    This can happen. One thing to remember in terms of your macros is that fat is necessary for a bunch of different hormones in the body. You don't want to much, as fat is very calorie dense, but at the same time eating very low fat can cause negative mood changes.