Exercise calories

zfitgal
zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
Hi, I am a bit confused. I walk 10,000 steps daily not including exercise. I did 45 mins of the peloton and I believe my TDEE is around 2200 calories. I ate 1800 calories…am I to much in a defecit? Tomorrow I won’t be doing cardio on weight training or an hour. I need a bit of guidance. Thanks on advance.

Ps
I was eating 1640 for a really long time and not losing a pound.

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    How tall are you, how much do you currently weigh and how much are you trying to lose?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Are you using trying to use MFP as designed?
    (Your steps accounted for in your activity setting, your Peleton logged as exercise - a variable daily calorie goal in line with exercise.)

Or are you trying the average TDEE method where both activity and exercise are averaged out to give a same every day calorie goal?

Huge conflict in you saying your TDEE is 2200 but saying eating 1640 "for a really long time" seems to be maintenance calories. Is that the part you are confused about as it's not at all clear what you are asking?
  • zfitgal
    How tall are you, how much do you currently weigh and how much are you trying to lose?

I’m 35 and I weigh 153.1 and I’d like to get to 134 and I’m 5 foot 4 inches
  • zfitgal
    sijomial wrote: »
    (Your steps accounted for in your activity setting, your Peleton logged as exercise - a variable daily calorie goal in line with exercise.)

Or are you trying the average TDEE method where both activity and exercise are averaged out to give a same every day calorie goal?

Huge conflict in you saying your TDEE is 2200 but saying eating 1640 "for a really long time" seems to be maintenance calories. Is that the part you are confused about as it's not at all clear what you are asking?

Hi, in the past I have been able to lose weight nicely at a 1640 cal deficit. Is that a little low I’m sure it is but it always worked for me and I didn’t feel like I needed more. I’m extremely active I haven’t logged my steps or activity as part of my deficit. I would never count the peloton and I would never use my steps towards increase food. This past year was diagnosed with celiac disease and unfortunately happened on 30 pounds prior to diagnosis. My small intestines needed to heal in order to absorb nutrients. This year has been a very difficult year for me and I have not been able to lose much weight. I wonder if my body is in starvation mode because it’s holding onto every piece of food and every calorie because it’s so nervous it won’t get its nutrients. So I decided that maybe 1640 at this point in my life is too low. I’m very lost and very confused here and really need guidance because I’m so upset. All I wanted to get back to the way I was. I’m assuming my TDEEE is around 22to 2300 cal a day. That’s including the steps from my Fitbit but that is not including my exercise and I don’t even log. Let me know your opinions and what you think would be best for me
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2022
    zfitgal wrote: »

Hi, in the past I have been able to lose weight nicely at a 1640 cal deficit. Is that a little low I’m sure it is but it always worked for me and I didn’t feel like I needed more. I’m extremely active I haven’t logged my steps or activity as part of my deficit. I would never count the peloton and I would never use my steps towards increase food. This past year was diagnosed with celiac disease and unfortunately happened on 30 pounds prior to diagnosis. My small intestines needed to heal in order to absorb nutrients. This year has been a very difficult year for me and I have not been able to lose much weight. I wonder if my body is in starvation mode because it’s holding onto every piece of food and every calorie because it’s so nervous it won’t get its nutrients. So I decided that maybe 1640 at this point in my life is too low. I’m very lost and very confused here and really need guidance because I’m so upset. All I wanted to get back to the way I was. I’m assuming my TDEEE is around 22to 2300 cal a day. That’s including the steps from my Fitbit but that is not including my exercise and I don’t even log. Let me know your opinions and what you think would be best for me

So you aren't using either MyFitnessPal or a TDEE calculator.
    You really are on your own then runnng your own experiment that appears to show 1640 is your current maintenance calories.
    You could of course run your numbers past both methods to get an idea but you do have to include your average activity and exercise in the TDEE calculation - and average activity plus on the day exercise into MFP.
    Or you could simply use your Fitbit as designed as the 24hr tracker it's designed to be......

The bolded item in your post is pretty much woo and not a mindset that will help you at all.

• zfitgal

You really are on your own then runnng your own experiment that appears to show 1640 is your current maintenance calories.
    You could of course run your numbers past both methods to get an idea but you do have to include your average activity and exercise in the TDEE calculation - and average activity plus on the day exercise into MFP.
    Or you could simply use your Fitbit as designed as the 24hr tracker it's designed to be......

The bolded item in your post is pretty much woo and not a mindset that will help you at all.

Hi, I’m very confused because I have been using my fitness pal. My fitness pal states that in order to lose half a pound a week 1640 would be my recommended caloric deficit. I have been eating that way for years and never had a problem. Like I said in the previous post unfortunately I gained 30 pounds due to underlying celiac disease. After I went gluten free I thought that the pounds would come off unfortunately they have not even eating at a 1640 deficit. I thought to myself maybe I’m doing something wrong. Maybe because of the celiac I have not been absorbing nutrients and now my body is holding onto everything. I decided to purchase a Fitbit to see how much steps I take a day and what my calories are that I’ve burned at the end of the day. It shows on my Fitbit that I have been taking 10,000 steps a day which is not including my exercise and it shows that I am burning 2200 cal a day again not including my exercise because I do take my watch off for exercise. I take it off for exercise because I know my fitness pal does not include this in the activity tracker. Meaning should I be so Dentree lightly active active or whatever else they have. So I wanted to see just based on my every day functioning how much I burn. So this isn’t my own experiment I’m just very lost and looking for answers why I cannot lose weight. And I’d like to know what I should do how much I should be eating. I just need some guidance
  • zfitgal

And just to be clear the bolded letters in my paragraph are not a woo There a question as to what can possibly going on internally that my body is struggling to not lose weight. So if you think something like that is absolutely insane and crazy please don’t respond to this post because it’s not something crazy.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    Side issue, but you're wrong about MFP not including your exercise from fitbit if the device is synced. Fitbit sends over your total calories burned for the day (including exercise): you just won't see the exercise sessions in your diary listed separately, but it will be included in your calorie adjustment.
  • zfitgal
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Side issue, but you're wrong about MFP not including your exercise from fitbit if the device is synced. Fitbit sends over your total calories burned for the day (including exercise): you just won't see the exercise sessions in your diary listed separately, but it will be included in your calorie adjustment.

Hi I am aware of that at this point. But again I just started with the Fitbit to see where my Overall TDE is. But I’m noticing that 1640 seems to be extremely low just knowing my stats and my numbers where would you guys think the best place for me to go would be I don’t plan on adding in for all my extra exercise Calories per. But I do see that obviously there’s something that needs to be done to get this weight loss started
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    It certainly seems a possibility that your body would react differently to the same amount of calories, just based on some googling. E.g. https://www.bidmc.org/centers-and-departments/digestive-disease-center/services-and-programs/celiac-center/celiacnow/nutrition-and-the-gluten-free-diet/nutritional-considerations-on-the-gluten-free-diet/weight-gain-on-the-gluten-free-diet

I also agree that 1640 calories sounds low for someone as active as you.
    How accurate is your food logging: weighing your food, carefully choosing your food database entries, avoiding generic entries...?

We can't tell you how much to eat, not the precise number anyway, because we all have different bodies. Any calculator or fitness tracker just gives an estimate and it's up to us to adjust according to real life results.
    Considering how little you seem to be eating (if your logging is accurate) for your activity level, you might try reverse dieting: gradually increasing your intake with the goal of increasing your metabolism. For example 100 calories per day extra for the next week or two and seeing what happens.
    And on the other end of the spectrum, you could try eating a bit less for a month or so, to see if that changes anything.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

And just to be clear the bolded letters in my paragraph are not a woo There a question as to what can possibly going on internally that my body is struggling to not lose weight. So if you think something like that is absolutely insane and crazy please don’t respond to this post because it’s not something crazy.

I think the reality may be a little more nuanced than the way it was stated in the PP, too. Maybe consider this thread - the first few posts on it by the thread's OP are really good, really informative.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I also agree that 1640 calories sounds low for someone as active as you.
    How accurate is your food logging: weighing your food, carefully choosing your food database entries, avoiding generic entries...?.

OP, this can be an important part of the puzzle: how accurate is your food log?