60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I feel a bit silly.
    Ridiculous and Ann, you’re both right. I think I’m making excuses. Exercise does seem to give you more energy , as strange as it sounds.
    I’m going to try to drag myself to the gym tomorrow and see what I can do. I’m so tired of feeling drained and exhausted. Also, I need to just move my body, so I don’t feel so stiff.
    One reason my goal was 200 lbs. is that at that weight I hope to stop taking one of the prescription drug’s whose side effect is tiredness. I hope when that happens, my energy will increase.

Yoga is a great option too. Start gently and go from there. Frankly, the people who benefit from it the most are those of us who are stiff, carry extra weight, have mobility issues, etc.
  • Timberlan127
    Timberlan127 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I feel a bit silly.
    Ridiculous and Ann, you’re both right. I think I’m making excuses. Exercise does seem to give you more energy , as strange as it sounds.
    I’m going to try to drag myself to the gym tomorrow and see what I can do. I’m so tired of feeling drained and exhausted. Also, I need to just move my body, so I don’t feel so stiff.
    One reason my goal was 200 lbs. is that at that weight I hope to stop taking one of the prescription drug’s whose side effect is tiredness. I hope when that happens, my energy will increase.

Don't feel bad. Remember exercise doesn't have to be at the gym. A short walk done every day. One of the short exercise classes on Silver Sneakers, AARP or You Tube can be a good start especially if you are tired all the time. Then work up from there. The lower the weight gets the better you will feel and the more you will feel like doing.
  • coblujay
    coblujay Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Just received an infusion of inspiration from catching up on all your posts!

I'm still struggling after getting back from vacation. I think a lot of it is I'm really busy and more stressed than usual. My local pool closed because they couldn't staff enough lifeguards. I found another pool further away, but with longer lap pool hours. I'm heading there on Thursday to check it out.

Just a note for those of you who are trying to find the right exercise fit. One of my friends who is 70+ has discovered water aerobics. Exercise has never been her thing. She fell and broke her leg five or six months ago. In fact, it shattered in places. She is using a walking stick for balance and is going to water aerobics three times a week. She was frustrated that healing was taking so long and at her last visit, the doctor told her that most people her age who experienced a break like hers would be on a walker for the rest of their lives. Not only has she made significant progress, she's met a whole new group of friends.

I would never have believed I'd find exercise that I love. It just required the right fit. I'm a lap swimmer and avid hiker now.
  • Timberlan127
    Options

That's exactly what I'm talking about 🙂. Exercise doesn't have to involve a class, or a gym pass, or expensive equipment. Skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, paddling, walking.......they lift my heart in ways that a gym just can't. So it's not only the physical benefit that keeps me at it, it's the mental boost too. Plus I love spending time outside with my dogs 🐾♥️

This is so true. I’ve been swimming in the pool, and enjoying it. I’ve always loved swimming, and at one point even took scuba, which I didn’t like😒. Very tired, but I can handle it. I do laps or I don’t do laps. I just make sure to move. I feel good about adding this activity again into my life.

[/quote]

Sounds perfect to me. I'm out with the dog walking and enjoying nature! I'm happy and I'm moving. That's my main exercise. I do try to do some other things too but I only miss my walks if the weather is bad because I enjoy them. You have to do what you enjoy so that you keep doing it.
  • Timberlan127
    Options
    It sounds like everyone is out enjoying the summer weather. I love seeing all the beautiful nature shots you all have posted. It sounds like you are all doing well to. We've had incredible weather here in RI. warm but not too hot and perfect for walking. I've learned to cope with my weigh going up and down because if I wait it out it does go down. It's a slow process but I've learned that I want a permanent fix this time so I have the things I want but keep the portions under control. It seems to be working well right now.
    Wishing you all a good day ! Enjoy what ever activity you choose!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone: I hope things are going well, and you're making steady, patient progress toward your goals!

Things have been busy in my life, as I'm helping out with my club's learn-to-row class 5 days a week during June. Sometimes I row in a boat with a learner, sometimes I'm a coxswain, sometimes I just hang out and help carry boats or help new people guide their boat back onto the dock after rowing ("parking" is tricky!). It's really fun, because the new folks are so enthusiastic, and they make fast progress during the class.

I'm also still doing my personal recreational rows 4 days a week with my rowing buddies (separate from the classes), and trying to fit in a bike ride on 2 other days a week. It's been hot here, for here (90 degrees F or more sometimes, 70% humidity also sometimes), so I'm sticking with easy pace on the rowing and biking.

I should be getting more house, yard and garden work done, too . . . but that tends to take a back burner to the fun stuff. (Self-disciplined adultiness is not my strong suit, especially in retirement)

If anyone feels like giving an update, please chime in: It's always good to know how things are going with you. Hoping you have a wonderful weekend!
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm happy, I'm down 2 lbs from my weight before I sent on the all inclusive scuba diving trip. (returned last Saturday). I'm also half way to my goal weight. Sadly, it is really windy today so I'm delaying my walk until tomorrow. I walk about 4 miles 5 times a week.
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Still trying to figure out the best macro ratio for my body type. I'm a post-menopausal woman who is "skinny-fat", so I have skinny arms, legs, and shoulders, and a sizable spare tire. I've been focusing on keto, but internet sleuthing suggests that's not the best diet for skinny-fat women. Based on my current actual weight, recommendations are to eat 300 calories below my recommended maintenance diet (1750 - 300 = 1450), and it should consist of 35% protein, 45% fat, and 20% carbs - which is a bit different from keto. I'm also supposed to focus primarily on muscle building exercises (Oh yay. Not...). At this point though, anything I do will be muscle building so it's not as daunting as it sounds. Anyway, that's what's going on with me right now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    @ridiculous59 , what are the grades in dragon boating education about, if you can explain?

All we have in rowing is novice (first year of rowing), and open or age group - for competition.

Sometimes camps/classes recognize an intermediate level, too, with diverse criteria depending on the specific class or camp.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! It's fun to see what everyone has been doing now that summer is officially here. Wasn't sure it was coming as the first couple weeks after Memorial Day were cold and rainy. Our Y took the aqua classes outdoors starting Memorial Day. It was really cold those first couple weeks but it's amazing how fast you warm up when you MOVE. So now the Temps this week and next will be in the high 90s and low to mid 100s. All I can say is be careful what you wish for. Lol.

I love having aqua aerobics outdoors
    They have doubled the number of classes outdoors and I have been taking 2 hours back to back. The first class is a fast paced class like aqua tabata or aqua boot camp and the 2nd is in the lazy river where we run (forwards , backwards, sideways), swim, hop, and whatever else the instructors can think of to throw at us, both with and against the current. Also dodging buckets of water that are continuously filling and dumping. It's such fun. My legs are like jello afterwards.

So I had worked up to walking 60-70 minutes a day. With the extra water classes I'm taking I have cut back on that but still get some land walking in also, especially on Saturday when I don't take any water classes.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @bethe I also don't love strength training and I know that is one thing I am lacking with my exercise. My aqua aerobics does incorporate a lot of use of water weights in the classes and running against the current is definitely a leg strengthening exercise but I know I need more. Since I've been a yoyo dieter in the past, I know as I've lost weight and regained it I've ended up with less muscle than I have had in the past. Something to work on.