Frustrated with no loss

I have been on my fitness for 13 months. I have stayed on 1200 calories or less, less than 30 grams of fat, at least 60 grams of protein, no more than 25 grams of fiber, and less than 165 carbs per day. I walk a mile several days a week.

I can’t seem to lose any weight. This is so frustrating. Does anyone have ideas to finally lose ten pounds?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    Some things come to mind:
    - how accurate is your food logging: weighing your foods, choosing database entries carefully, creating recipes (or Meals) for homemade meals, etc?
    - 30 grams of fat is a minimum, not a maximum (fat is important for your health); same with fiber (it's a minimum, not a maximum)
    - generally speaking, it would be good to know more about you: age, sex, height, weight, activity/exercise level, health conditions... 1200 is awfully low for most people, but without more context we're just stabbing in the dark
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Yeah, what Lietchi said.

Unless you are being as accurate as you can possibly be, losing that last 10 pounds is a struggle for everyone but if you're actually logging ALL your food with a food scale, nearly every person would lose weight on 1200. I question your logging accuracy.

My only other suggestion (if the above is true) would be to see a doctor for a full workup. Some medical conditions can make it harder to lose weight, but it is still possible. Are you taking any prescription meds? Obviously you don't have to answer that but some of them make it a bit harder to lose weight. Again, see your doctor.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Are these your last 10 #? Those can be the most stubborn and usually require a more strict approach such as upping or tweaking your exercise, making sure your calorie count is precise, leaving little room for error. It can be discouraging but don't give up! Also, having no clue what your height/weight/age is, maybe you're trying to reduce to a place your body doesn't want you to be? As in, a place where you'd have to eat too few calories to get to.
    OR have you been on this plan for so long without losing any weight at all? Sorry, I get confused easily and didn't quite understand where you're at. :/
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    How are you calculating 1200? Is your diet public? Mathmatically, I would say you are eating at maintenance on accident. Are you putting everything on a digital food scale? Even peanut butter or a banana or raw meat? Unfortunately my maintenance is about 1600 calories because I have a pretty sedentary job, so not much wiggle room at all for me, especially if I want to take a day off on a weekend.
  • svista
    svista Posts: 10 Member
    1 mile a day doesn't sound like enough of a workout. I think increasing your activity, especially strength training would help with the calorie burning, if you think your calorie intake is on point. More muscle burns more calories at rest. Also they say you need .75-1 gram of protein for each pound you weigh. So if you weigh 150lbs, you should aim to eat up to 150 grams a day for weight loss.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    svista wrote: »
    1 mile a day doesn't sound like enough of a workout. I think increasing your activity, especially strength training would help with the calorie burning, if you think your calorie intake is on point. More muscle burns more calories at rest. Also they say you need .75-1 gram of protein for each pound you weigh. So if you weigh 150lbs, you should aim to eat up to 150 grams a day for weight loss.

The calorie burn of strength training is not really high to be honest. But strength training is good for preserving muscles, and potentially for a tighter look and better posture. But yeah, walking a mile won't burn a lot of calories. Likely not even 100 calories.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

The general recommendation is not up to 1 gram of protein per pound of your TOTAL weight...it's .5 to 1 gram per pound of LEAN BODY MASS. Which is your weight minus the fat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

Yeah, that protein calculation is off. 1g per pound of lean mass. Or it's sometimes phrased as 1g per kilo of weight - but not one gram per pound of total body weight.

And if she wants to only do one mile, that doesn't affect weight loss. It's possible to lose weight with zero purposeful exercise - BUT the calorie number matters, and with just 10 pounds to lose there is very little margin for error.

Log all food. Use a digital food scale. Aim for hitting all your nutritional needs. Log days of excess as accurately as possible. A one mile walk won't burn a lot of calories but it's better than nothing.

Most women aren't going to be consistent enough and/or progressive enough to significantly increase muscle mass to the point where they get very many more calories...so...a weight lifting program*may* over time give you 50 more calories a day. Not 500.