i take 2 hormonal steroids for life is weightloss possible?

Options
i was born with CAH congenital aderal hyperplasia i have to keep my levels up so i have to take .1MG tablet of fludrocortisone and .5 MG dexamethason everyday. my mom has always tol me i cant push myself to hard or ill dehydrate worse than others. but im really unhappy with my body 210LBS im only 5'0 i would like to be 125LBS or smller. anybody know what i can do.? would tthe Insanity workouts work.?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Nothing trumps the law of thermodynamics, so a calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight. The problem is online calculators won't be able to account for the difference in your metabolism versus the average person, so you would need to try through trial and error at different levels; start at 1800 cals for instance, drop 100 a day if there's no weight change after a month, or get your RMR tested by a professional.

Insanity is a fine work out programme, but if you out-eat the exercise, no work out programme will cause you to lose weight.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Ignore your mother as politely as you can. Parents mean well but unless they are physicians, they typically do not know what they are talking about. Talk to your MD or endocrinologist about your desire to lose weight.

You may or may not want to tell you mom. Over protective parents often cause more problems than they solve.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have addisons and have just started taking fludrocortisone a week ago. I have gained 10 pounds in a week, so please tell me how to keep taking this medicine and lose weight.
  • sschoch30
    sschoch30 Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I gained 40lbs in 4 months. Have you found anything that works? How do you work out? I’m on fludrocortisone also.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,879 Member
    Options
    sschoch30 wrote: »
    I gained 40lbs in 4 months. Have you found anything that works? How do you work out? I’m on fludrocortisone also.

The steroids tend to cause quick weight gain through increased water retention. It's not fat. If you're eating in a way that produces a calorie deficit, the (slow) fat loss will eventually outpace the water retention gain, and show up on the scale. That can be very, very frustrating - I get it. (I took a lot of dexamethasone for a while, for reasons that fortunately weren't permanent in my case.)

Many drugs, in a particular individual, have the potential to complicate weight loss by increasing fatigue (so we rest more, move less), spiking appetite (so it's more difficult to stick with the needed calorie level), possibly change digestive transit time (affecting satiation), hindering good sleep (so increase fatigue or appetite), or changing the extent to which food is metabolized (this last should be a somewhat limited effect, in the sense that you can't possibly absorb more calories from a food than are in it, in total). You can potentially notice whether some of those are happening to you, and make adjustments in your plan, or seek help from your doctor.

None of those things, strictly speaking, completely prevent weight loss in theory, but they can for sure present new challenges. In particular, gaining 40 pounds - even if it were entirely water weight - makes daily life movement harder and less pleasant, so tends to reduce activity thus calorie burn in that way. If you're having severe impacts from the drugs, definitely talk with your doctor about what, if anything, can be done. (Some doctors will be less than helpful, sadly, but the conversation needs to be had.)

I hope you're able to find a solution, for your particular case.