40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!! :drinker: I did my upper body workout. I've been getting a lot of comments regarding the look of my arms lately so I guess the hard work (and I really dont think it is hard) is working!! :drinker: I wish I could say the same thing about my midsection. :noway: :grumble: Soooo hard!!! And really my major problem has nothing to do with diet and exercise at my age, it has to do with age and losing elasticity in my skin. :mad: :explode: Oh well...

Ok, went to youtube and someone posted the entire Ab Ripper X here is the link. I am not sure if it will be there permanently so I would write down all the exercises. Very easy to follow and once you learn all the moves you can do it without the video anywhere while watching TV etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgHYV1vGa6A

Swiss, you can pretty much find anything in youtube or google these days...I love it!!!

The Zumba event was a success yesterday but it could have been better. They raised over $2000 for my friend. A lot of people who told me they were going did not show up. I hate when people do that. :noway: But my friend was very happy.

Dander, your program sounds like a good plan especially for a man. It is great to set goals but true determination to achieve them is the key factor to succeed. Keep your mind focused on the prize and you'll be able to jump over those life's obstacles. If you are going to go to a restaurant now every Sunday to watch football you are gonna have to choose a healthier meal. I think Chris can be an inspiration for you since he lost a good amount of weight in a short time.

Have a great day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note...I am up almost three pounds since Friday. I know it is because I am not very active on the weekends and tend to eat bad...really not too much...but stuff I shouldn't be eating.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Becky..weekend are hard. I added a mini workout on sat/sun to keep me in check. It seems to be working.
  • sal0118
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    Last week was stressful. It is not work. It is the home life. I should tell you that we are tiling the foyer and th kitchen. It is about 500 square feet. My husband is doing it.? No, he
    will not pay for it. So, yes I need to remind myself constantly to be patient.
    It is hard for me to have the 80 gallon salt water tank in the living room and now the refrigerator in the family room. It has already been a two month project.

Anyway, I have actually have been looking forward to my exercise. I have been working on a routine for two months now and I feel I have it together. I am doing cardio 35 minutes four times a week. I do strength training one hour three times a week and yoga 1 hour two times a week. I am finding myself eating the exercise calories a couple of times a week, which I am trying to stop. I am trying to keep it to 1200. I was wondering what your thoughts are in regards to eating the exercise calories?

Chris: Your parrot is beautiful! I have read in Time magazine and I also heard it on the Doctors that 30 minutes 4-5 times a week of cardio is good for weight loss.

Sing: I am like you. I prefer to be outside also. I am trying to get my weight down to get back into running. Hopefully, it happens soon, because I love it in the fall.

StiringWindel: I am glad to hear that is cooling down over there. I have my aunt and uncle in Reston. They have been complaining a lot. We are coming to visit them in three weeks. My aunt is a retired elementary teacher for Fair Fax. It is so nice because she is excited and she has already planned the whole trip. I will never forget when I took my daughter to the Smithsonian when she was almost four, she asked me why I took her to see dead animals.

Alf: I am sorry to hear about your friend. I do go zumba class when I get tired of the machines for the cardio. I do like it.

Swissmiss: I do see that you go to class for strengthening. I also prefer it. I am glad to hear that your daughters finger is doing better.

Robin: Mushroom hunting does sound interesting. I do like mushrooms a lot.

TxMs: I am glad you are out of the heat. Surprised you would like it that low. When I lived in Texas, people would say, "Colorado is way too cold.".

Nice visiting with all of you. My tolerance has calmed for the moment.

Welcome to the newcomer.
    Sal
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    Obstacle number 1 for this week, I worked 3 hours of overtime last night and didn't make it to the gym. After 11 hours on my feet I was tired and hungry and had run out of time for the gym. So now the schedule will be, at best, off kilter. At worst the schedule will be screwed, so to speak.

Since my job is one where I might be working strange hours I try to work in some flexibility to my workout schedule to allow for days like yesterday. I can move yesterday's upper body workout to today and today's lower body workout to tomorrow which was set aside as a rest / light total body day. It just means more soreness on Thursday when I'm (hopefully) back to upper body.

What kills me is I didn't have the gumption to get up and walk the dogs last night like I should have. I need to stay motivated.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Good morning!!!! :drinker: Do I sound happy? LOL It must be that yummy bowl of steel cut oats with blueberries, walnuts, chocolate protein powder and ground flaxseed that I am eating. :laugh: I did my lower body/abs workout this morning. Zumba tonight. :happy:

Sal, I do want to suggest to you that you should eat your exercise calories. With the amount of exercise you are doing eating 1200 cals is not enought at all!!! Just make sure the foods you eat are as clean as possible, veggies, fruit, lean protein, mono/poly fats, whole grain...and you will still lose weight actually more than not eating your exercise calories. My husband is the opposite of yours, if he could pay someone to change a lightbulb he would. :noway: :grumble: :laugh:

Swiss, it could be water retention and not weight gain. Also choose a meal during the weekend that can be your cheat meal and try to eat healthy the rest of the time. You can use the weekends to do something differently such as yard work, walking outdoors, riding your bike etc so you can be a little more active. Due to lack of time during the week I use Sat and Sun as my days where I can do my long workouts, that helps me stay active during the weekend. I do too sometimes eat more of the not so good for me foods on weekends, dont we all? :noway: :laugh:

I'd better get ready for work...have a great Tuesday!!! :flowerforyou:
  • DonnaHazel
    DonnaHazel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

I was so happy to find a thread for 40+ !!! I'm past the 40 and into the plus and have been looking for folks to motivate me towards my goal. My starting weight was 224 and I have manage to lose 7 lbs in a month and a half. Mind if I hang out with you all???
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hi Donna welcome.

I think you should always eat your exercise calories. Just dont eat sweets like I'm prone too. :)
  • alf1163
    Options
    Welcome Donna!!! Congrats on your weightloss!! :drinker: Keep up the good work. :flowerforyou:
  • DonnaHazel
    Options
    Explain why I should eat my exercise calories? Don't I need those to burn a pound of fat? :grumble: Perhaps I am getting this all wrong but I thought you had to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 lb. of fat. I am soooooooooooo confused!:grumble:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: alf, I counted 12 glasses of water yesterday and that doesn't include what I drank with dinner. I re-weighed this morning and am down 2 pounds. I am so grateful for water. :happy:

:flowerforyou: Welcome Donna, Jump right in and let us get to know you. I see that you are asking about exercise calories. I do not eat all of mine. Maybe half. Someone else here will have to answer about how many calories we need to burn to lose a pound.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Donna, it can be a little confusing but dont despair. I have included some links to some wonderful threads regarding why it is important to eat enough in order to lose weight. Lots of people are stuck in the belief that everyone needs to eat 1200 cals in order to lose weight regardless of age, height, activity level, etc. The most important thing is to determine what your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is. You can go here to do some calculations. http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/blcalintake.htm Eating less than what you body needs to sustain itself will backfire in the end, slowing your metabolism and resulting in a plateau or even weight gain. Yes, if you need to lose weight, after determining your BMR taking into consideration the calories you burn with exercise you want to cut back about 500 calories a day. It doesnt have to be an exact science, no one is perfect and there are no perfect days, but as long as you are consistent you will see great results. I hope this helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9007-bmr-ma-because-of-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/123142-the-answers-to-the-questions?hl=the+answers+to+the+questions#posts-1718456
  • alf1163
    Options
    :flowerforyou: alf, I counted 12 glasses of water yesterday and that doesn't include what I drank with dinner. I re-weighed this morning and am down 2 pounds. I am so grateful for water. :happy:

:flowerforyou: Welcome Donna, Jump right in and let us get to know you. I see that you are asking about exercise calories. I do not eat all of mine. Maybe half. Someone else here will have to answer about how many calories we need to burn to lose a pound.

See Swiss!!! There is no way you will gain 3 lbs in a weekend!!
  • Dandersonjr32
    Options
    See Swiss!!! There is no way you will gain 3 lbs in a weekend!!

It would be tough, that's for certain. The math makes it tough to swallow. An pound of body fat is about 3,500 calories, so you need to consume 3,500 more calories more than you use in a day to gain a pound. Three pounds, or 10,500 calories in two days breaks down to more than 5,000 EXTRA calories a day.

That is possible, but difficult.
  • Campanella
    Campanella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When you say you eat your exercise calories what do you mean? If I am suppose to eat 1450 calories a day to lose weight and I go to the gym and burn 500 calories this allows me to eat 500 more calories for the day. So 1450 and 500 equals 1950 calories can be consumed for the day and still lose weight. What is meant by eating half or all your exercise calories.
  • alf1163
    Options
    When you say you eat your exercise calories what do you mean? If I am suppose to eat 1450 calories a day to lose weight and I go to the gym and burn 500 calories this allows me to eat 500 more calories for the day. So 1450 and 500 equals 1950 calories can be consumed for the day and still lose weight. What is meant by eating half or all your exercise calories.

Correct, you would eat 1950 or close to it and still lose weight.
  • DonnaHazel
    Options
    Ah....I see. I am doing cardio 5 days a week and strength training 3 days. Sometimes I get 2 miles at the track (walking) on Sunday. Today I took 2 cardio classes..1 hour total and stepped up on the elliptical. One of the counselors stopped me and said I should only be doing 45 minutes of cardio a day as I will begin burning muscle instead of fat. Any thoughts on this?
  • sal0118
    Options
    Alf: it looks like I opened up a discussion with the advice I asked. Just as others have stated, I also do believe it is confusing. I appreciate your advice and the articles. It is all very helpful. As I read what you wrote to me, I think what was hard for me to grasp is that I am not eating enough. I believe that since the focus is not eating as much in order to loose weight. We tend to focus on training the brain and the body to do with less. So, it looks like my BMR is at 1430. I will need to change the 1200 I put in. I will try changing it and let you know how it goes. Thanks also for pointing out that the extra calories need to be healthy choices. Good point about our husbands, we do have the opposite. :-)

Campanella: Welcome! It looks like we are suppose to eat the same amount without exercise.

Donna: Nice chatting with you on email. I amglad that you got it confirmed regarding cardio and how much you should do. Like, I said Chris has talked about it. Perhaps he will expand on it with articles.

Lady Persia: Thanks so much for pointing out that Alf did not mean sweets, because I am right there with you on that.:-)
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hello all :)

Haven't posted for awhile, been busy. Also, I recently signed up on Plenty Of Fish, and exploring that site has used up much of my free time :bigsmile:

Weight Lifting Day: DB Squats, DB Bench Press, DB Glute Bridge, BW Lying Abductions, BW Birddogs

Workout felt extra good today.

*optimaltouch & DonnaHazel: Welcome!

*DonnaHazel: Lots of research supports that anything over 30 minutes of cardio at a time is diminishing returns if your goal is fat loss. IMO, your counselor was spot on! Consider your self lucky, many are clueless, lol.

*MarlynnM: Once a week is a good plan. Same day each week, in the morning, after using the restroom and before eating/drinking anything

*alf: Belated condolences to your friend :(

Glute Workout, still doing it, but my own modified version. I think the article said 2 to 3 weeks per phase. My choices on which ones I can do are limited to the equipment and space available to me. I really like the weighted Glute Bridges. I'm currently adding 67.5 pounds on top of my pelvis (using a 52.5lb dumbbell and extra weights) with 2 sets of 10 reps with 10 second isometric holds on top of each rep. Definitely working it :D

It's always great when someone notices, isn't it :D

sal: Thanks :) Exercise is a great stress reliever. You already got the answers on the exercise question, I'll just mention that I ate back all or most of my exercise calories the entire time I lost my 40lbs.

Danderson: Flexibility is key. Too many people (myself included at first) set up what they think is the "Perfect Routine" and get thrown off when it can't be done exactly as planned. Just do your best, and forget the rest :) One thought on energy levels, make sure you are eating enough cals and that the carbs you are taking in are complex carbs and not simple. No refined flour for example.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Not too much to report here. I'm not sure if it's the cooler weather, but my hikes up the mountain seem to be getting easier. I can hike up the 1.5 mile long/ 1000 ft elevation in under 25 minutes. Not too bad for an old-timer.

Biggest Loser began tonight. I really like watching those people get in shape. It keeps me motivated. New trainer Anna Kournikova can train me anytime! :bigsmile:

Have a great day!