Anyone going through Chemo and trying to ease back in to working out?

I just finished my last chemo treatment last week. I would like to begin working out again but not sure when or what to do. My strength and stamina are very low. Any thoughts from people who have went through it?

Replies

• Gardensoul57
    Gardensoul57 Posts: 17 Member
    I just posted a few mins ago and saw this. Yes, I am currently going through chemo immunotherapy for non Hodgkin’s lymphoma. I have competed three of my four chemo treatments and will start radiation therapy after that.

I have continued to work out throughout my chemo treatments. I was diagnosed in February 2022 as I was completing a 70 pound weight loss, so I was already in the midst of my fitness journey and wanted to maintain the weight loss. I have gained 9 pounds since treatment started due to the steroids I take as part of treatment. I get a treatment every 21 days so I kind of take it easy but walk around my house during week one. During week two I alternate cardio and ride my bicycle on a trainer for 30 mins for 6 days, and then on week three I alternate cardio and bike riding 45 mins each day for 6 days. I also walk my dog 30 mins each day during weeks two and three. I did discuss this with my doctor and he did not want me to over do it, but encouraged as long as I felt ok and rest when I don’t feel ok. I also have a cardiologist I work with and he also recommends I don’t push myself too hard, but they know exercise is great for the body, and especially the mind/mood.

You can probably talk to your doctor about this, but if you don’t have the strength and stamina, go super slow. Maybe start with some walking for a few mins each day, and just build up from there. The only reason I continued to work out was to have some control in my life since cancer takes that away. I really watch my heart rate which is an indicator of fatigue for me, and will back off and just move slower or pedal slower. Again, speak to your doctor about this. What works for one person, might not work for another.

Congratulations on completing your chemo treatments. My last treatment is July 10th. I cannot wait to get this done. You completed the hard stuff now enjoy being cancer free!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    I had not been routinely active, for most of my adult life, until after cancer treatment (surgery, chemo, radiation, anti-estrogen drugs). I was diagnosed at age 44. Treatment took most of a year.

After treatment, I realized I that if I wanted to feel strong, energetic, healthy and maybe even happy again, I would need to work at it. (I was also diagnosed hypothyroid shortly after finishing treatment, which added to my sense of fatigue and depletion.)

I started very gradually, with twice a week yoga classes, then started doing a few minutes of yoga at home daily. Eventually, as I felt able, I sampled some other group classes that sounded manageable, including a "strength training for women" one. Then, I saw that a breast cancer survivors rowing team was starting up near me, and - with trepidation! - I joined in, got addicted to rowing.

Within another couple of years, I was rowing (boats or machines depending on season) multiple times a week, and doing low-impact aerobics videos on the other days to improve my fitness. I even competed in races, both boats and machines. Because rowers need to swim, I took adult learn-to-swim classes. When the aerobics videos got too unchallenging, I started taking spin classes.

Now, I mostly alternate rowing and biking 6 days a week (rowing machine and stationary bike in Winter, boats and paved-trail biking in more tolerable weather). (I live in the North, where rivers freeze and snow falls.) I do some lifting in Winter, usually, too.

If you start out gradually, with just a manageable bit of a challenge, and focus on activities you actually enjoy doing, I predict you'll surprise yourself with what you can accomplish. Pay attention to how you feel, build in adequate rest and recovery, then increase the challenge when what you're doing gets easy. (Increase the challenge = increase frequency, duration, intensity or type of exercise - not all at once!).

You'll do great, I'm betting. I'm cheering for you!

P.S. My treatment for stage 3 breast cancer was nearly 22 years ago now, no recurrence so far. I'm 66, and decently fit for my demographic, if I do say so myself. I feel great, physically. If you have specific questions, please ask.
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Not chemo, but 7 months ago I was diagnosed with MS and after a week in hospital, I had extreme fatigue and balance/ vertigo issues.

Slow and incremental, listen to your body and don't overdo it. Doing a little every day worked better for me than pushing myself too hard and needing days to recover. I started by just walking to the corner, using a walker. Im now walking my dog 1 mile/ day, routinely get 9,000-10,000 steps on days I work and have started biking 30 mins on my days off, using peloton app. For me, this has been the motivation I needed to prioritize myself. I'm definitely on my way to being the healthiest version of myself.

You've got this!
  • asstreib
    asstreib Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, I am a 7 yr Breast Cancer Survivor, Chemo, radical double mastectomy, and now estrogen blockers. I was very fit 5 day work out before. I am an active person with kid, goats, work, and assist patents. But I am adding back my workouts slowly. Lots of scar tissue and back damage to spine. 1 Day at a time!