Frustrated !

Options
Am I the only one having issues with no support?! No matter how hard I'm trying I'm stuck eating whatever I cook for everyone else bc I can't afford two meals and nobody in my household will eat healthy with me. All they want is burgers and fries etc. I'm staying huge and sick. Who knows about portion control?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    What's your daily calorie goal? You can eat what they eat. Example: Hamburger without the bun, and add lettuce or other veggies and be careful of the sauces (usually high calorie). You can start cooking up some vegetables for yourself (small portion) and eat those as a side with a small portion of what you're making for everyone else. It can be done, just get creative.

If you are weighing and measuring all your food and drink, and stay within your daily goal, you'll lose.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You could try to find ways to make those 'unhealthy' meals lower calorie for you.

Hamburger example: lower fat meat and/or smaller patty, lower calorie/smaller bun (or no bun, as suggested by snowflake954), fries in the oven instead of deep-fried etc.
  • moko907
    moko907 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel you. These are great suggestions and wanted to add that if you are the one to make meals, don’t feel bad if they don’t want what you’re serving. They may take a bit to adjust to the healthier tasting foods. If they do not want to eat your meal, well… they can prepare their own meal (cereal, sandwich, etc.) Don’t give up based on others. 😊
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    You could try to find ways to make those 'unhealthy' meals lower calorie for you.

Hamburger example: lower fat meat and/or smaller patty, lower calorie/smaller bun (or no bun, as suggested by snowflake954), fries in the oven instead of deep-fried etc.

Great idea to bake your potatoes in the oven. I slice mine in smallish wedges, throw then in a big bowl with EVOO, salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder, and chopped roasted onion chips. Mix well and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 450° hot oven for about half an hour until crispy. You control the amount of oil in this way. I feed a family--all men, and this is easy.ha9037cshwad.jpg
  • uyister
    uyister Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    All suggestions above are great. I would add that you should look for lower-calorie recipes for some of the faves of the household and try them one at a time to see if they like them. If they do and cannot tell the difference, then that becomes the staple recipe for that dish (then give it a little bit of time and try for another dish). I have found that when I don't tell people that I cooked it the lower-calorie way, as far as it is still seasoned the way they like, they can't tell the difference and they don't care since it still tastes good.