Dietician/dietitian

Options
Hi!
I've been researching dieticians. I'm hoping to go to one. It looks like I might have to pay out of pocket, though, unfortunately, so I want to do what I can to prepare. (The question is definitely open to everyone. I suspect practices are probably set based on government and insurance requirements, not just best practices, so if you mention whether or not you are also in the US, that might help.)

1)Do dieticians make you weigh yourself there or make you give your weight?

2)What did the session look like? Were you able to ask all of your questions or was it them droning on about general principles?

3)Is there anything you wish you would have done differently in hindsight?

4)Any other tips?

(I've googled the topic. It wasn't much help. It was mostly about complaints.)

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Ha. I would never pay someone to tell me how to eat. That's what Google is for!

I would imagine you can say, "No," to anything you don't want to do such as giving your weight, or anything else. You are paying for a service. You get to choose what you want out of it.

I'd go in with a list of what kind of advice you feel you need. Make her/him stay on those topics. Droning? Never! Just cut her off. :lol:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US. I've not personally seen a dietician, but I've gone with my dad when he was diagnosed with diabetes and they helped him manage his diet to control his condition without medication or insulin. It was helpful for him because he didn't know anything about nutrition or how to manage his condition on his own. They showed him what to eat and in what portions and what things to avoid as well as combining certain foods the lower the GL. I don't recall them ever weighing him. Of course he could ask questions.

If you don't have a medical condition that would benefit from seeing a registered dietician then it is likely you will pay out of pocket. Absent a medical condition requiring greater dietary care and attention I would ask what you are hoping to get out of it? I don't know that I would seek out help from a dietician for generalized nutritional advice. IMO, basic nutrition is pretty common sense and there are things like My Plate that can be used for guidance. Basically eat your veggies and fruit, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,769 Member
    Options
    I saw an RD as part of my cancer treatment, but that was a more focused consultation. I had some specific questions, and she helped me get answers (much more quickly than I could've found them on my own, and resources she provided were filtered through her scientific knowledge and experience, which saved me a bunch of time and research).

In that case, she didn't need to weigh me. We didn't even talk about weight, and if she'd cared, she could've looked at my medical records. (She was staff at the cancer center where I was treated.)

If you are paying the RD yourself, I'd encourage you to go into it with a written-down list of your goals for the consult, plus any specific questions you have. Ask the RD if they can help with those things. If s/he isn't willing to help you specifically with your goals and questions, but wants to drone on about generalities in a way that's irrelevant to your goals/questions, you'd want that to come out right up front in session #1, seems like.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I went once to an RD as I had tested positive for several food allergies, one of them being wheat, which I seemed to see in almost every single food I was eating, so I went to her to find out what to look for, different foods I could replace things with that didn't have wheat. It was just a conversation about what to eat, what not to eat, and ideas for replacement for pasta, bread, etc. This was probably 20 years ago before gluten free became so prevalent, so now it is much easier for me to find alternatives.
  • Countandsubtract
    Countandsubtract Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Good info, thanks guys!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I’m from the USA. I have been to 2 dieticians. Both were paid for by insurance, because I had a medical condition = obesity.

With the first one, she had me weigh, keep a food diary for 10 days until next appointment. Then she analyzed what I ate and showed me what I needed to do to be healthier and lose weight. She asked me questions. She asked me what foods I liked, didn’t like. She asked my working hours, my sleeping hours, my social habits, then she came up with a plan—specific to me. As time went by, we tweaked her plan, but not a lot. She asked me what diseases my parents had that related to weight, like heart trouble, type 2 diabetes, etc. She suggested habits that I should start now to stop myself from having those problems. She was great!
    I lost weight easily and felt good. Unfortunately she quit her part-time dietician job and started a full-time job in another field just a
    Few months after I started with her and I couldn’t keep it up by myself.

The second one preached. She gave me handouts. She didn’t know me, my eating habits, and she didn’t care. I went back the second time, in case she was having a bad day the first time. Nope. That was just her style. No need for a third meeting.
  • Countandsubtract
    Options
    Eh, that's unfortunate.

And thank you for the details and what she asked. I might have to gather some info before I go.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Eh, that's unfortunate.

And thank you for the details and what she asked. I might have to gather some info before I go.

I’d also point out that this is a person who will be providing you a service that you’re paying for. If you don’t want to weigh, don’t. Being me, I would likely lay out what I wanted to accomplish right from the start and go from there. If that wasn’t how they wanted to work, then I’d move on to someone else.

Also, if you have the option to actually call to make the appointment, you can ask then how appointments generally go and what information they would like to have. They may also have a consultation appointment option that’s usually shorter and less expensive so you aren’t investing as much into an unknown.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,526 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I went once to an RD as I had tested positive for several food allergies, one of them being wheat, which I seemed to see in almost every single food I was eating, so I went to her to find out what to look for, different foods I could replace things with that didn't have wheat. It was just a conversation about what to eat, what not to eat, and ideas for replacement for pasta, bread, etc. This was probably 20 years ago before gluten free became so prevalent, so now it is much easier for me to find alternatives.

Are dieticians to do prick tests? I can't imagine this as a proper allergic reaction is possible with those tests and then they're not trained to deal with it. Testing for gluten allergy/celiacs requires an actual blood test, which I'm also doubtful they did. What kind of allergist was that? Sorry, but I do have some questions here.

• Countandsubtract
    edited July 2022
    Options
    ;
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US. I'm a veteran, and I've had referrals to dietitians through the VA. Frankly, I've found more value from the MFP forums than my time spent with these dietitians.

If I were to pay anyone, it would be Heather from Half Size Me:

https://www.halfsizeme.com

I listen to her podcasts off and on, and I like the way her coaching calls go - she definitely gives and extracts better information than my dietitians have.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    musicfan68 wrote: »

Are dieticians to do prick tests? I can't imagine this as a proper allergic reaction is possible with those tests and then they're not trained to deal with it. Testing for gluten allergy/celiacs requires an actual blood test, which I'm also doubtful they did. What kind of allergist was that? Sorry, but I do have some questions here.

I went to an allergist for the testing, and yes they did the proper testing. I do not have Celiac disease, it is a wheat allergy.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I recently went to one, I just had a complain about it here
    Not saying they're all like that, but I was very disappointed in it, and glad I didn't pay.
  • Countandsubtract
    Options
    Yikes! I hope I don't get one like that.
    Thanks for the info everyone!
  • jl4dyce3351
    jl4dyce3351 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a dietitian, and I ask my clients what a "typical" day of eating looks like, and then replace high calorie, less nutritious foods with tasty lower calorie options. I like to work with an individual's pattern of eating, and encourage change towards healthier food choices and increased physical activity. I don't have a scale in my office; I rely on clients to report their weight, if they want to. I promote MFP as a good way to stay accountable and motivated.
    BTW, I've been a dietitian for 20 years, and I realize there are good ones and bad ones, just like any other occupation. When you're shopping for an RD, request a meet-and-greet for 15 minutes or so. An RD worth their salt will agree to this. It's important to have a connection with someone who will be your guide for such a personal journey. Good luck in your quest!