squash noodles

Options
Anybody know what this is or where I can find/make it? I've never seen it in my local Kroger or Walmart Supercenter. I live in a rural area that does not offer any all-natural or organic food stores... is this why I'm missing out?

Replies

• Brandy3827
    Brandy3827 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    May be called spaghetti noodles?
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash, it's not a kind of noodle. Need to buy the squash and when you open it up and cook it, it sorta looks like noodles. You can get them anywhere
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    you need to find something called a spaghetti squash, then there's recipes on here about the best way to cook it
  • MrsVagus
    Options
    I'm not sure this is what you saw, but we always cook a spaghetti squash and then get the insides out with a fork. It gets very stringy and looks just like a pile of spaghetti when its all out. You can add pasta sauce or we do butter and parmesean a lot. You should be able to find spaghetti squash at any grocery store.
  • carpediem0711
    Options
    maybe you are thinking of spaghetti squash? it's a type of squash and the insides resemble noodles, you should be able to find it in most produce sections. =)
  • Delyla07
    Delyla07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    spagetti squash is good!! and low in cal!! we cut it in half, drizzle alittle oil and seasoning on the insides and bake!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    are you perhaps thinking of spaghetti squash?? if so, it has not always been available at my grocery store also. don't know if it is d/t it's harvest season or not. i am, however, a huge fan of it!! when it is available, it is in the fresh produce section of my regular grocery store-not in organic or anything special..just the regular produce section. good luck and hope you like it once you find it.
  • vkahlenberg
    vkahlenberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you mean spaghetti squash, it is a vegetable, a squash, and you should be able to find it in your produce aisle. After is is cooked and the seeds are scooped out, the fleshy part of the squash has a stringy, noodly texture so that people actually use it to replace pasta. If you mean something else, I have no clue. :-)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Or maybe you are thinking of shirataki noodles, which are a calorie-free noodle made from a type of indigestible yam. I have seen them at Whole Foods and Asian supermarkets, neither of which you probably have. They come packed in a bag of stinky water.
  • dlynnkind
    dlynnkind Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Check this out. A tutorial with pics on how to prepare. I love this site. She has some great recipes too.

http://www.dashingdish.com/2011/03/how-to-make-spaghetti-squash/

Dana
  • shtaylor
    Options
    Besides the squash. there is a product on the market called TOFU SHIRATAK NOODLES, they are found usually in the produce department where tofu and wanton wraps are. They are only 20 calories per 4ounce serving and come in different shapes, spaghetti, fettuchini etc. The noodle is packed in water and you need to drain and rinse well also dry on a paper towel ( already cooked) Some people do not like the texture but I have become accustomed to it.. When you can have a LARGE bowl of spaghetti and it is less than 100 calories (depending on your sauce and meat balls) IT IS GREAT.
    PS it was also featured on the Dr. Oz show.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You can make noodles out of squash and zuchini with a spiralizer. They are really good and surprisingly will take your pasta craving away. You can get a spiralizer for around $20-40