What? Are you kidding me?

Options

Replies

• doeshanks
    doeshanks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hope you enjoyed it..(we dont have taco bell)..treat that as a mega treat....and as you say stick to making your own .....I think you are more likely to fail on your weighlose journey if you deny yourself foods you like......I wouldnt go in to a fast food resturant just now as Ive just started on this journey but once I am more..'in control' and 'further down the line' I think I would be able to do so without it spelling the end of the line for me...not everyone will agree but I honeslty think you shoudn;t deny yourself foods as thats just way too extreme for me! x
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I go to Taco Bell sometimes, it's one of the best fast food places out there for me (vegan options). Everything in moderation!

I always order the fresco bean burrito, which I don't think is too bad, calorie-wise.

edited to add: I also will get a side of pintos, and this meal will keep me satisfied for several hours.
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    how could you possibly think that cheese plus potatoes wouldn't be a calorie bomb??
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

piety is so annoying.
    Quoted for truth.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    ummm...how did you not suspect anything with "cheesy potato" in the title would be bad? LOL

That aside, its always best to check menu's and nutritional info online ahead of time whenever possible, so you aren't surprised later. There are actually a few less evil options at Taco Bell, and other fast food places. I even have downloaded an app to my iPhone with fast food calories, for those times I'm less prepared.

EDIT: this being said, I've found the (also 540 calorie) "cheesy 5-layer burrito" worthy of an extra hour on the treadmill at times...good stuff!
  • tristahenry
    Options
    So yesterday, even though I know taco bell is not so great, I was hungry and I decided to go get a burrito. I thought I would get a cheesy potato burrito. I knew it would be a bit high in calories but not 540 calories!! How can you put that many calories in a burrito? Anyway, I have decided that I am sticking to home made burritos and tacos from now on....lol...

why someone on a weight loss and exercise life changing mode would decide to go to taco bell is beyond me. i'm sorry, but you need to have discipline to avoid such temptations, and chose healthy. you were kidding yourself, or just blatenly avoiding the fact that a burrito could be bad for you. go to a deli and ask for a 2 oz of low salt ham, an ounce of low salt swiss, some mustard, lettuce, tomato, on a roll, and bought an apple and a bottle of water. it would've been just as many calories, healthy, and more filling.

i bet you were hungry an hour later too.

Totally not nice dude... I get what you're saying but you need to improve your communication skills. If you have to say sorry before you complete your sentence you shouldn't be saying it.
  • SueGremlin
    Options

Thank you! Yes, it is true I think depriving yourself is not good. I also have oreos once in a while...shsss....lol
    I make sure to work chocolate into my diet when I have the calories leftover. Life without it is not a life worth living.
    It keeps me on track, AND I have lost 19 lbs so far.
  • Gennawest
    Options
    So yesterday, even though I know taco bell is not so great, I was hungry and I decided to go get a burrito. I thought I would get a cheesy potato burrito. I knew it would be a bit high in calories but not 540 calories!! How can you put that many calories in a burrito? Anyway, I have decided that I am sticking to home made burritos and tacos from now on....lol...

why someone on a weight loss and exercise life changing mode would decide to go to taco bell is beyond me. i'm sorry, but you need to have discipline to avoid such temptations, and chose healthy. you were kidding yourself, or just blatenly avoiding the fact that a burrito could be bad for you. go to a deli and ask for a 2 oz of low salt ham, an ounce of low salt swiss, some mustard, lettuce, tomato, on a roll, and bought an apple and a bottle of water. it would've been just as many calories, healthy, and more filling.

This guy....
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i do not deprive myself of anything. i eat whole eggs, peanut m&m's, pizza. i drink, and enjoy the occasional cigarrette. but i will not stop at a taco bell or mcdonalds because i am a little hungry. for me to change my self i know i have to sacrifice.

btw, i forgot that outside of new york city it is very rare to see estimated calories of items at resturants.

i didn't try to be hurtful. what i said was blunt, but in my opinion, the truth.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who thinks a good burrito, and the only one I'll bother eating, is a high calorie burrito, how else do you get the guac in?
  • megsie25
    Options

Hey, what works for me is not eliminating anything from my diet, otherwise I wouldn't stick to it. Everyone has their thing. I strongly disagree that she's "kidding herself". Losing weight does not have to mean deprivation, that is the beauty of MFP.

Also, it's kind of an individual choice, so berating people for what they are eating isn't going to do anyone any good and will, frankly, make you look a bit like a jerk.

I agree with this. We are here for support not guilt trips!
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    i do not deprive myself of anything. i eat whole eggs, peanut m&m's, pizza. i drink, and enjoy the occasional cigarrette. but i will not stop at a taco bell or mcdonalds because i am a little hungry. for me to change my self i know i have to sacrifice.

btw, i forgot that outside of new york city it is very rare to see estimated calories of items at resturants.
    You smoke and you are judging people for what they're eating?

What works for you is what works for you. You don't have any call to berate anyone for what they eat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't normally pick apart people's food choices, but when you go after someone else, you kind of deserve it.

I don't know why someone trying to get healthy would put chemicals like Splenda, diet soda and fat free half and half in their bodies. Or peanut M&Ms or wine or "buttery spread" or bacon -- oh wait! I see you had a tortilla for more than 600 calories in one meal! (make that at least two meals I saw) -- and some popcorn that likely has some trans fat in it. I see some frozen yogurt in there (more sugar than ice cream, by the way).

I can keep looking and tear it apart some more, if you'd like. Or you can get off your high horse.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who thinks a good burrito, and the only one I'll bother eating, is a high calorie burrito, how else do you get the guac in?
    ditto...I eat burritos FOR the guac.
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    ummm...how did you not suspect anything with "cheesy potato" in the title would be bad?

I know, I know, I just underestimated I guess....lol...well just wanted to posted so if there is someone out there just like me, they will be aware as well ;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ditto...I eat burritos FOR the guac.

Mmmmm .... guac.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

i didn't try to be hurtful. what i said was blunt, but in my opinion, the truth.

How do you know that she was a little hungry? If your all about not depriving yourself, then by saying that to change you need to sacrifice is making that first statement completely false.

Op:
    Meh, life happens. Don't beat yourself up over it, and next time you'll know better!
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options

why anyone on a healthy eating/weight loss plan would voluntarily consume packaged dimestore candy (i.e. PEANUT M&M'S) or stick a tube of nicotine laced tobacco leaves between their lips is beyond all comprehension....

*kicks soapbox and glares at pious one.
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    sarahi2009 the poster agrees with engineman. who was speaking the truth in a harsh way. but honestly. i personally want honesty and not some 'you'll do better tomorrow' filler non sense.

SueGremlin you are just being a nasty pants. you need to chill out. you're making a mountain out of a molehill by making it personal.
    you're looking very much like a gremlin yourself.
  • haileemou
    Options
    :noway: Oh giggle :laugh: WTF
This discussion has been closed.