Question to people who use or have used Zumba

Options
I'm just wondering wether zumba works im thinking about using it as part of my cardio because it would be something easy to use while my daughter is sleeping , but ive heard people call it a gimmick and rubbish etc and that it doesnt doo anything and i really dont want to put allot of effort into it if it doesnt pay off obviously it would burn more cal than doing nothing but im looking for something that gives a really good cardio workout

so i have a few questions
did you lose weight while using it if so was it more than usual about the same or did you even gain?
how many calories approx does it burn for example in 30 min
if you dont use it anymore why
and did it have any impact on your body like did you notice you tonned up more etc

thanks guys :)

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i will answer a few for you it's not just a gimmic it's a cardio workout! any cardio is good the more effort you put into it the more you burn and it can mount up quite fast!
    kids should love it as well as adults and if you burn cals then you will loose weight!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    my wife does it and loves it. i don't think its a gimmick in the way diet pills are. if you put in the intensity, you can burn a lot. she actually does two 30 minute classes in a row, and i think she burnes about 220 calories per class. its a good way to change up the routine. hey, if you enjoy it and it burns calories, it can't be that bad.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    have a look on youtube there are quite a few (loads) of zumba videos on there some are just demo's but some are for you to work out with, have a go at some of them and see what you think, but i'm my limited experience its a good work out and is great fun, the beauty of the youtube videos is you can try them without spending money on something you don't enjoy
  • texastae1010
    Options
    I have the newer Zumba DVD system but from everyone I have talked to if you are doing it at home the older version is better ...I honestly wish I would have gotten the older one...the new one is great but it seems the older one has a bit more variety

Ok when I do the 60 min DVD I burn on average 600 calories I weigh (well I have lost 12ish lbs) but from weight 215-230lbs that is with a good HRM...the cals depend on your effort etc.

I have bad knees so it is nice to do something that feels low impact on my joints even though I am burning a ton of calories

For me anytime I start a new workout the first couple of days I always seem to gain a lb or two I am not sure why I don't have any science behind it but my guess is my muscles are swollen or something so I try to not jump on the scale for a few days so I don't get discouraged

It has helped me drop some pounds and I actually really enjoy it...once I feel a bit better about myself I am going to try a class at the gym
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I zumba 2 times a week. I dont know how it would be a gimick. I sweat my *kitten* off for an hour and come out soaked. My heart rate is up the whole time meaning burning calories. So I would say its well worth it.
  • krstal02
    krstal02 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It works for me I have attended Zumba classes at the gym and I purchased the video. Calories are burned, I look slimmer and thinneer. In addition I enjoy it! I laugh as I try to keep up. I love it!
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for all your detailed answers im really excited about giving it ago just have had a couple of negative people i guess try and put it down when i mentioned it around a few other mums i got allot of dont waste your money answers etc etc i really want to do something that is fun as well as good for me and this sounds like it could be it thanks heaps again !!!!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    A gimmick?! Wow... those people either haven't attended a class or their teacher is ****.

I go to 5 Zumba classes a week (2 regular, 2 toning, 1 aqua) and I burn anywhere from 200-500+ calories based on the one I'm doing. Oh, and I'm toning up, sweating buckets, making friends, shaking my booty, and having a blast doing it!

Like someone said, check out a YouTube video or five and if you like them, definitely attend a live class if you can. My teacher also offers two Zumbatomics classes: one for 5-9 year olds and one for 10-12 year olds, and one of my classmates brings her son along in addition to Zumbatomics. Your daughter might actually enjoy doing it, if she's old enough to, of course.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Great cardio exercise :) Anything that brings your HR up and keeps it up is going to provide a calorie burn :) My gym offers a water zumba class that i'm dying to try.. lol
  • woo1324
    Options
    I have the newer Zumba DVD system but from everyone I have talked to if you are doing it at home the older version is better ...I honestly wish I would have gotten the older one...the new one is great but it seems the older one has a bit more variety

Ok when I do the 60 min DVD I burn on average 600 calories I weigh (well I have lost 12ish lbs) but from weight 215-230lbs that is with a good HRM...the cals depend on your effort etc.

I have bad knees so it is nice to do something that feels low impact on my joints even though I am burning a ton of calories

For me anytime I start a new workout the first couple of days I always seem to gain a lb or two I am not sure why I don't have any science behind it but my guess is my muscles are swollen or something so I try to not jump on the scale for a few days so I don't get discouraged

It has helped me drop some pounds and I actually really enjoy it...once I feel a bit better about myself I am going to try a class at the gym

Thanks i will have a look around for the old ones also something that is low impact is just what i need my knees are a bit dinky sounds like you really enjoy it and thats exactly the kind of excercise im after something to get excited about and not dread thanks for your response
  • isapedeve
    Options
    Well, I may say that with Zumba I've lost around 2 pounds per week.. and you could burn about 250 cals per half and hour.. go figure..
    There are a lot of DVD's of Zumba, the first ones seemed to me like an episode of Dora the Explorer cuz one instructor explains the routine in spanish, and the other one in english.. :laugh: I didn´t like them much (although I'm native spanish speaker!) :wink:
    But I strongly recommend you the 2011 DVD's set because they're really fun,with different routines, a diet and instruction booklet, a pair of tone sticks and everything. There's also this quick workout that only lasts 20 mins. and I swear you feel an hour later in your own body how hard you worked. This is the best so far.
    Take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS_g0-QWeek
    Why don´t you give it a chance, I've found here in MFP many Zumba lovers :tongue:
    Good luck!
  • woo1324
    Options
    A gimmick?! Wow... those people either haven't attended a class or their teacher is ****.

I go to 5 Zumba classes a week (2 regular, 2 toning, 1 aqua) and I burn anywhere from 200-500+ calories based on the one I'm doing. Oh, and I'm toning up, sweating buckets, making friends, shaking my booty, and having a blast doing it!

Like someone said, check out a YouTube video or five and if you like them, definitely attend a live class if you can. My teacher also offers two Zumbatomics classes: one for 5-9 year olds and one for 10-12 year olds, and one of my classmates brings her son along in addition to Zumbatomics. Your daughter might actually enjoy doing it, if she's old enough to, of course.

I think these people who have labelled it a gimmick probably havent given it a real go ,,,, joining a class would be great im not really confidnet enough yet to excercise infront of people but im hoping with a bit more time that will change my daughter is still only a bub 9 months but my sons are 3 and 7 it would be great to be able to take them along and something im very keen to look into being in a bit of country area though im not sure it will be around but i will deff try and seek it out ,,, thanks for your response :)
  • bregalad5
    Options
    my knees are a bit dinky

If you go to a live class, I'd recommend getting an Ace bandage or some kind of extra support for your knees. Mine dislocate and they tend to be a bit sore after the class if I don't wear some support on them. I tried it without but I feel better with. Just my 0.2 cents :smile:
  • woo1324
    Options
    I will look into those knee supports sound slike something i probably need anyway

WOW im really loving this site so great to be able to get real peoples opinions on something they have actually used sooo ready to try this out now thanks again everyone i think you have convinced me to give it a try
  • bregalad5
    Options
    I think these people who have labelled it a gimmick probably havent given it a real go ,,,, joining a class would be great im not really confidnet enough yet to excercise infront of people but im hoping with a bit more time that will change my daughter is still only a bub 9 months but my sons are 3 and 7 it would be great to be able to take them along and something im very keen to look into being in a bit of country area though im not sure it will be around but i will deff try and seek it out ,,, thanks for your response :)

Ahh yeah, the joys of living in the middle of nowhere... I'm not sure how old the kid is that comes to our class. He looks around 7-8 maybe? He's old enough that he can kinda do the moves, yet young enough that it's not *totally* weird that he's in a room with a bunch of women shaking their butts to Latin music... :laugh: :laugh:
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    did you lose weight while using it if so was it more than usual about the same or did you even gain?

I haven't been to a class consistently so can't answer this. I imagine I would have lost if I'd kept it as part of my regular exercise and diet programme. But I wouldn't have lost if I'd just done that and not watched what I was eating and done some other exercise too if you see what I mean.

how many calories approx does it burn for example in 30 min

For me - about 230-250 for a 1 hour class so 120ish I guess.

if you dont use it anymore why

It wasn't a high enough calorie burn for me to feel like it was worth it and I got bored with the choreography

and did it have any impact on your body like did you notice you tonned up more etc

Again, didn't do it consistently but I'm sure it would have helped with toning when combined with other exercise.

Key thing to remember with Zumba is that there are some awesome classes out there and some **** ones. Instructors don't have to be professionally or even highly trained dancers so some just aren't very good. Find a talented and motivated instructor and you'll probably love it and do a lot of good. Get stuck with a rubbish one and I can well imagine that you would comdemn the whole thing as a gimmick
  • blondebandbabe
    blondebandbabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been doing zumba once a week for 6 weeks now and using MFP I'm down 7lbs ( which it took me since january to lose the first seven with diet alone) I feel great. I was so scared to try it and do it in front of people because i have the coordination skills of a drunk gorilla, but after 2 or 3 classes i got over it and i wiggle as much as the next person. I have knee problems and I love that you can modify to fit your needs. When my class jumps, I bounce, when they kick high, i kick low, etc. I've never had my knees hurt.

I'm burning around 250-300 cals per half hour but all my classes are 1hr long.

I highly suggest going to classes they hold you more accountable and teach you proper form. I know own zumba on my ps3 but i'd of been totally lost had i not gone to a few classes first.

I have an awsome instructer who adds new things all the time so i don't get bored. when she cancells i usually try a new class and i've found that some classes are extremely repetitive.....so shop around. try a few out and ask around for suggestions.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have done Zumba although it wasn't my main workout routine. I have went to classes and burned anywhere from 480 to 600 calories in an hour of it. It really depends on the instructor. I did not burn as much on the Zumba for Wii so I just sold it, I couldn't get enough of a sweat on :) After doing P90X, Inanity and Asylum I can honestly say Zumba is a good burn and a great workout to add to any routine!
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If you can find a class near you, I highly recommend attending! No matter what size you are or what your coordination level is.

I am so uncoordinated but I LOVED Zumba. There were women of all shapes and sizes in my class so I felt completely comfortable. Go at least three times before you say you hate it and never want to do it again. The first class you might be fumbling around in the moves (I was anyway) but by the third time you'll have a better idea of what is expected.

And its such a fun class that everyone is always smiling and friendly which is the best part! Sometimes the hardcore workout classes, everyone is so grim and focused they dont talk much. But in Zumba, its smiles and telling your neighbor your arms are so tired. Loved it!

I've never done a DVD but I dont know if I would work as hard at home as I do in the class.

Also, one of my friends lost 50lbs using Zumba as her ONLY exercise (and eating better, of course).
  • Pigpug100
    Options
    I have been going to Zumba 2x a week and I just love it. I have a HRM so I could track the calories burnt and I do between 650 - 750 in an hour depending on the intensity of the workout. I would recommend shoes that allow you to pivot so you don't have knee injuries (I use Nike Mistique shoes). If you are new to it, go for a long enough length of time to learn the routines and I'd be willing to bet money you'll love it too. I also have video's but I enjoy the class more because of the variety. My target heart rate is 170 and I spend about 25-35 minutes in that target area. The hour just flies by and you've gotten a tremendous workout while having fun! I have lost several inches doing Zumba, now I'm finally trying to eat right and have lost weight as well.