What? Are you kidding me?

Options
124»

Replies

• Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who thinks a good burrito, and the only one I'll bother eating, is a high calorie burrito, how else do you get the guac in?
    ditto...I eat burritos FOR the guac.

Mmmmm .... guac.

Why am I suddenly craving Chipotle???
  • ncgingerich
    ncgingerich Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So yesterday, even though I know taco bell is not so great, I was hungry and I decided to go get a burrito. I thought I would get a cheesy potato burrito. I knew it would be a bit high in calories but not 540 calories!! How can you put that many calories in a burrito? Anyway, I have decided that I am sticking to home made burritos and tacos from now on....lol...

why someone on a weight loss and exercise life changing mode would decide to go to taco bell is beyond me. i'm sorry, but you need to have discipline to avoid such temptations, and chose healthy. you were kidding yourself, or just blatenly avoiding the fact that a burrito could be bad for you. go to a deli and ask for a 2 oz of low salt ham, an ounce of low salt swiss, some mustard, lettuce, tomato, on a roll, and bought an apple and a bottle of water. it would've been just as many calories, healthy, and more filling.

i bet you were hungry an hour later too.
    Hey, what works for me is not eliminating anything from my diet, otherwise I wouldn't stick to it. Everyone has their thing. I strongly disagree that she's "kidding herself". Losing weight does not have to mean deprivation, that is the beauty of MFP.

Also, it's kind of an individual choice, so berating people for what they are eating isn't going to do anyone any good and will, frankly, make you look a bit like a jerk.

My thoughts exactly!!! I love Taco Bell bean burritos and on occasion I plan my food diary around having 1 or 2 of them for dinner. At about 370cals a pop I don't think it is bad at all... either way I don't think it has had one negative effect on me having lost 18lbs and now over half way to my GW. That said, I would encourage you to be more reasonable and supportive rather than judgemental and vindictive.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Guys,

To Engineman

I do agree with the group that you were harsh and blunt and you judged with out even knowing me. I understand you spoke the truth and I agree, but you have to keep in mind that not everybody is thick skin and some are barely starting their journey and to have someone judge them like that will probably discourage them. You could have word it different and still be blunt. Don't throw stones if you house is made out of glass, at least that's my motto.

For everyone else,

Whether you were defending me or just took offense to what engine man said, just know that some people have better communication skills than others :)

I've been doing this weight loss thing a long time (with a few setbacks and I don't need anyone telling me what i already know when I make a mistake or two or three). My problem is that there are people just starting out who think they have to be perfect for this to work, and what Engineman said in this thread (despite not even following his own advice) could lead those new people to failure because they'll make one mistake and give up. Or think they can't indulge a craving every once in a while.

I wouldn't eat that burrito every day, but once a month or so if it's what you want isn't going to hurt you, especially if you make up for it elsewhere. People who are new to this need to understand that.

The kind of "honest, tough love" Engineman is showing is bound to drive people away because they think they just can't do this.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Rather take nandos instead...

Spot the South African... :-D
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    my name is danny. and if i'm hard on others, i'm twice as hard on myself. i'm giving myself a one week break from the boards. my diary remains open. please, feel free to judge me and PM me any critiques.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    So yesterday, even though I know taco bell is not so great, I was hungry and I decided to go get a burrito. I thought I would get a cheesy potato burrito. I knew it would be a bit high in calories but not 540 calories!! How can you put that many calories in a burrito? Anyway, I have decided that I am sticking to home made burritos and tacos from now on....lol...

why someone on a weight loss and exercise life changing mode would decide to go to taco bell is beyond me. i'm sorry, but you need to have discipline to avoid such temptations, and chose healthy. you were kidding yourself, or just blatenly avoiding the fact that a burrito could be bad for you. go to a deli and ask for a 2 oz of low salt ham, an ounce of low salt swiss, some mustard, lettuce, tomato, on a roll, and bought an apple and a bottle of water. it would've been just as many calories, healthy, and more filling.

i bet you were hungry an hour later too.

What works for you is great but that's not necessarily what works for others. It's a complete myth that you have to "Give Up" certain foods in order to be healthy or lose weight. Don't believe me? Look at my diary (it's open to all) see how many times you can find QDoba Burritos or Culvers burgers on there, yet I've still lost 27lbs in just over 2 months and am now in maintenance mode.

The fact is you can still have "unhealthy" foods you crave, you just have to work them into your diet in healthy ways. Watching your portions is key, offsetting an unhealthy meal with additional exercise and/or better food choices that day, etc are all ways to make it work. In fact I'll say that in many (if not the majority) of people's diets, they have a far better chance of being successful if they learn how to work all those tempting foods into their lifestyle in a healthy fashion rather than trying to give them up cold turkey and do battle with endless and ever increasing cravings.

So instead of being so judgemental maybe you might want to realize that not everyone is in your boat of wanting to purify their foods and that many of us can be successful in our goals while still enjoying the foods we like.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I know, I know, I just underestimated I guess....lol...well just wanted to posted so if there is someone out there just like me, they will be aware as well ;)
    I ate a Double Western Cheese burger with fried zucchini on Sunday for lunch. 1340 calories. But all accounted for for the day. Don't feel bad. Just make sure to combat the calories with exercise and activity.

This statement = absolute truth.
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    sarahi2009 the poster agrees with engineman. who was speaking the truth in a harsh way. but honestly. i personally want honesty and not some 'you'll do better tomorrow' filler non sense.

SueGremlin you are just being a nasty pants. you need to chill out. you're making a mountain out of a molehill by making it personal.
    you're looking very much like a gremlin yourself.

There's a difference between honest and self-righteous. And if you're going to be self-righteous, you really ought to make sure your own house is in order.

I see one day where Engineman had a 1,200 calories dinner and more than 4,100 grams of sodium. But he feels justified telling the OP she should never eat TB.

those 1200 calorie dinners were 3 nights in a row were i was working night shift at work. i am a power plant engineer, and am required to be alert and attentive to the power load. i find that a good strong dinner helps me stay awake for 6pm to 6am, and deal with anything that comes my way.

please, pick apart my food intake a little more.

and yeah, after a particularly long and greuling night shift, i need a smoke. its better then the pack a day i was on a year ago.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what you choose to eat if it's working for you. But, really, you could choose a "good, strong" dinner that will keep you alert and awake with less sodium, fat and calories. But you chose what you chose for your own reasons.

Other people do the same. Get over yourself. You aren't perfect and you clearly are not making the kinds of sacrifices you're demanding of others.

I think this conversation has moved off the original intent of this post and has become a more personal issue between you. Maybe you should continue this elsewhere?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    cheesy potato burrito

Where's the surprise? I looked up the nutritional information . . . I'm just surprised it's not more.

It's not real cheese, it's cheese sauce:
    - Nacho Cheese Sauce, Ready-to-Serve
    Servings: 1 cup Calories 203 Sodium 920 mg
    Total Fat 16 g Potassium 32 mg
    Saturated 9 g Total Carbs 6 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 1 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 8 g
    Cholesterol 46 mg

Mini tater tots because the bad boys in that thing are definitely not oven roasted
    Ore Ida - Mini Tater Tots
    Servings: 19 Pieces 1 Pieces 1 container (171 pieces ea.) Calories 170 Sodium 420 mg
    Total Fat 9 g Potassium 210 mg
    Saturated 2 g Total Carbs 22 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars -1 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 2 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg

- Seasoned Beef Taco Meat
    Servings: 1 oz Calories 180 Sodium 680 mg
    Total Fat 13 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 6 g Total Carbs 4 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 1 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 12 g
    Cholesterol 45 mg

they do use reduced fat sour cream!!

- Reduced Fat Sour Cream
    Servings: 2 tbsp 1 tbsp Calories 40 Sodium 20 mg
    Total Fat 3 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 2 g Total Carbs 2 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 2 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 1 g
    Cholesterol 15 mg

Azteca - Flour Tortillas - Burrito Size
    Servings: 1 tortilla 1 container (8 tortillas ea.) Calories 140 Sodium 410 mg
    Total Fat 4 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 24 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 4 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who thinks a good burrito, and the only one I'll bother eating, is a high calorie burrito, how else do you get the guac in?

Exactly!
    Now I want a burrito.
  • hcole2004
    hcole2004 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's what I was about to say! Do what works for you! I have lost nearly 40 pounds and kept at it for a year now by doing the same thing. I may indulge every now and then, but rarely. I don't put too many limits on myself because when I feel deprived, I don't' stick to it! I have learned to LOVE the Fresco Menu! :)
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    cheesy potato burrito

Where's the surprise? I looked up the nutritional information . . . I'm just surprised it's not more.

Well, I didn't look up the nutritional value of this until this morning, and honestly that cheesy potato sounded good at the time, I won't be anymore though ;)
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Good grief. I should have never opened this thread!

I typed something long and meaningful and well-thought-out, then I thought that I didn't need to get in the middle of a scuffle. Everyone reacts to things in different ways - I just tend to be less judgmental and abrasive, and find people that are the complete opposite very annoying.

But back to what I'm assuming is the basis of this thread... you know, food items that you wouldn't think were astronomically high in fat/calories until you found out the hard way...

I'd have to say my a-ha moment was when I found out how much cholesterol and calories are in a whole egg. D: Like a massive amount. So I'm a firm believer in egg whites now.
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Good grief. I should have never opened this thread!

I typed something long and meaningful and well-thought-out, then I thought that I didn't need to get in the middle of a scuffle. Everyone reacts to things in different ways - I just tend to be less judgmental and abrasive, and find people that are the complete opposite very annoying.

But back to what I'm assuming is the basis of this thread... you know, food items that you wouldn't think were astronomically high in fat/calories until you found out the hard way...

I'd have to say my a-ha moment was when I found out how much cholesterol and calories are in a whole egg. D: Like a massive amount. So I'm a firm believer in egg whites now.

My original is intent was just to let everyone know how sometimes we think that somethings are bad and we find out they are really bad...lol....I never thought it was going to get this heated :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    People keep ragging on Taco Bell, but it's really not hard to go there and get what you want as long as you save up the calories. A regular taco is only about 170 calories. Two tacos there isn't bad at all. I can go and get everything I want for 600 calories or so, and if I'm trying to be low cal, it's easy, too.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I can actually kind of see where it might be a surprise. Conceivably, you could make a cheesy potato burrito at home and have it be far less awful for you. If you're in that mode of thought, maybe taco bell doesn't seem that bad at the time. I think everyone has those "What was I thinking" moments. I'd guess it demonstrates a completely normal, and expected, lapse in judgement as opposed to a lack of judgement. Sometimes wires just get crossed in our heads, and we know better for next time.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Clearly, this thread has gotten off-track, so I think it's best to lock it and move on.

The forum guidelines include this item:

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.