Best weights to start with for females?

Options
Hi! I’m looking to start some weight training. Is a 7kg dumbell too heavy? I’m 39 and fairly fit. Any tips for a shoulder press using a dumbell?
Thanks! :)

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you only have one dumbbell? The weight depends on your strength level for each exercise. You don't always lift the same amount of weight for each body part. As you practice, you will be able to increase the amount you lift. Do you have access to more weights?
    Have you looked at some YouTube workouts for ideas? These ladies have some great workouts, with and without dumbbells:
    Sydney Cummings
    Growingannanas
    Caroline Girvan
  • ilovecroissants
    ilovecroissants Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I’m working out at home as I have kids, so I don’t have access to loads but I can get what I need.

Thanks! I’ll check them out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a set of adjustable dumbbells might suit you better.

That way you can both adjust for the different requirements for different exercises (for compound lifts 7kg may well be far too light if it's currently suitable for you doing isolation exercises) and also your increasing strength over time.
  • ilovecroissants
    ilovecroissants Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! That’s helpful
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2022
    Options
    One thing I would add, would be to get on a structured program lifting/resistance program that you can follow. This will help provide guidance/direction for you. Essentially, simplifies things.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • francisolorunfunmi
    francisolorunfunmi Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Only you would know that
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    Also, it's not about weight in the beginning but about form. The drawback on working out at home for many is that they get no feedback on whether or not they are executing an exercise correctly. I'd reference an exercise, then do it with no weight in front of a mirror and look from as many angles as I could first.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png