Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the phrase "have overweight" from England/Australia/a largely English-speaking country?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    I'm a Canadian-Australian an have never heard the phrase "I have overweight" used by Canadians or Australians.

The only circumstance I may have heard something like that is when someone who does not speak English well is attempting English.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,153 Member
    @lynn_glenmont

I always thought the Clampets were from Oklahoma.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @lynn_glenmont

Seems like a reasonable guess, but I don't think it was ever explicitly stated.
  • mtaratoot
    @lynn_glenmont

It may not have been. There's oil there though. And for sure not too many decades before the show there were lots of "Okies" migrating to California to escape the ravages of the Dust Bowl. It is so sad we lost so much soil because we didn't know any better. Now we're losing soil in our forests from devastating wildfires. There was a fire on the Payette River, I think around 2000, that was so hot it actually vaporized the forest soil and sent it to the sky. What was once a lush forest is now just rocks. So sad.
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited July 2022
    "Jed and Elly Clampett lived close to Bug Tussle near Branson, Mo, Missouri Ozarks. Granny who was Jed's mother in-law, moved from Tennessee to live with Jed and Elly. Pearl and Jethro Bodine lived a short distance from the Clampetts in Arkansas. The old truck sits in a museum at Point Lookout, Mo. just south of Branson. Various towns and locations in both the Missouri and Arkansas Ozarks are mentioned in many episodes."
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    "Jed and Elly Clampett lived close to Bug Tussle near Branson, Mo, Missouri Ozarks. Granny who was Jed's mother in-law, moved from Tennessee to live with Jed and Elly. Pearl and Jethro Bodine lived a short distance from the Clampetts in Arkansas. The old truck sits in a museum at Point Lookout, Mo. just south of Branson. Various towns and locations in both the Missouri and Arkansas Ozarks are mentioned in many episodes."

Source? Sounds like copy to attract tourists to Branson.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    I’m. It sure where this comes from, I’m in the US and I don’t use it, my first thought is that it maybe comes from the HAES movement, in that being overweight does not define a person. For example instead of saying I am fat, I have fat. However I have overweight is not correct grammar, so it reads and sounds off.

I don’t know if this is the case though, it’s just where my head went with it.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    Just went through the thread. Nothing to really add other than I'm still trying to wrap my head around the brits "in hospital" as opposed to "in THE hospital", the Beverly Hillbillies theme song is now stuck in my head, and marry *kitten* kill Jess, Dean, Logan?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited July 2022
    @lynn_glenmont

In the show's pilot a narrator says, "let's take take them back to their home in the Ozarks and see how this whole thing got started." Paul Henning, the show's creator was also from Missouri. I'm not weird or anything, I only know this because my 93y.o. grandmother owns the entire series and as a good grandson I've sat down and watched more times than I can count. There are other references to the Ozarks in other episodes as well.

There are other hints though. The theme song starts with, "Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed, a poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed." There are definitely no mountains in Oklahoma for which to be a mountaineer...there are barely even hills. The term hillbilly is generally also used to describe the mountain people of the Appalachians and the Ozarks, often derogatory. The accents and dialect are also stereotypical Appalachian or Ozark and very distinct and not really found anywhere else. Oklahoma definitely doesn't have anything close to that kind of accent or dialect.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    @lynn_glenmont

It may not have been. There's oil there though. And for sure not too many decades before the show there were lots of "Okies" migrating to California to escape the ravages of the Dust Bowl. It is so sad we lost so much soil because we didn't know any better. Now we're losing soil in our forests from devastating wildfires. There was a fire on the Payette River, I think around 2000, that was so hot it actually vaporized the forest soil and sent it to the sky. What was once a lush forest is now just rocks. So sad.

No mountains in Oklahoma to be a "mountaineer".
  • mtaratoot
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    @lynn_glenmont

No mountains in Oklahoma to be a "mountaineer".

Pretty sure the Ozarks extend into Oklahoma, but I'm not married to the idea that Jed Clampet was an Okie.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Just went through the thread. Nothing to really add other than I'm still trying to wrap my head around the brits "in hospital" as opposed to "in THE hospital", the Beverly Hillbillies theme song is now stuck in my head, and marry *kitten* kill Jess, Dean, Logan?

We say that in Australia too - someone is in hospital not in the hospital
  • glassyo

LOL sorry. Didn't mean to leave the aussies (and others out). But whyyyyyy? That missing "the" just gets to me. :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    I guess it is like ' I go to school' - we don't say 'I go to the school'

Or ' asleep in bed' - we don't say 'asleep in the bed' B)
  • mtaratoot

But we do say "asleep in the chair" when it happens.
  • glassyo

Well hell. Neither do we really. 🤔
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member

LOL sorry. Didn't mean to leave the aussies (and others out). But whyyyyyy? That missing "the" just gets to me. :)

I don't know about your region, but in my part of the US, we'd say "in the hospital" but "in hospice" (if residential hospice). Similar scenario, different wording. Go figure.

IMO, there's not a "missing the" in the other usage. It's just different, like trunk/boot, windshield/windscreen, "knock up" and "thong" meaning very different things US vs. UK & Australia, lift/elevator, yard/garden minor differences, and a zillion other things. (I hope I've gotten those terms right.)
  • mtaratoot
    Even "First Floor" means different things on the east and west side of the Atlantic.

In the USA, it means the ground level. In the UK it means the floor ABOVE ground level.

And given the automatic content sensor/censor around here, it's kind of humorous I can write fanny but not.... kitten.
  • glassyo
    Even "First Floor" means different things on the east and west side of the Atlantic.

In the USA, it means the ground level. In the UK it means the floor ABOVE ground level.

And given the automatic content sensor/censor around here, it's kind of humorous I can write fanny but not.... kitten.

I was gonna totally bring up fanny!
  • mtaratoot
    Bring it on up...

To the second floor.....