Pre-workout ritual!!!

Options
azuki84
azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
edited June 2022 in Fitness and Exercise
Before you walk/drive to your gym, do you eat/drink/do a specific something CONSISTENTLY to get your MIND and BODY prepped up???

Do you take a COLD SHOWER TO FIGHT THE URGE TO PROCRASTINATE AN hour before gym time, or eating THAT SPECIFIC OATMEAL BOWL, or spending 10 minutes to select their pump-up playlist???

For me I workout 2:30AM. I want caffeine- so I need an energy drink prior to workout!!!

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    back before my injuries, i used to have a carb meal (bread or rice or pasta) with protein an hour before my workout started. oatmeal worked, too. then i'd get a bottle of this high vitamin C juice, pour eight ounces in a bottle, then pour in 8 ounces of water (i sipped this throughout my workout) get into comfy workout clothes, drive to the gym and work out.

once i found workouts that worked for me, i loved going to the gym and working out, although i hated working out at first. i looked forward to it, so no motivation needed. can you change your workouts around so you do things you enjoy?

these days, whatever workouts i do i do at home. this morning i woke up at 2:40 am, wrapped my ankles and knees, put on my heart rate monitor and my shoes, jumped on the bike and went for a happily sweaty hour. i also have a cable machine, weights, resistance bands and more so i can mix things up.
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    The only ritual I try to do consistently now is stretching before working out. In my younger years I would mostly stretch at the end of a workout. But now I see the need to do a thorough stretch before every workout.
  • omherrera44
    omherrera44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Find a desk job. Yo will crave for activity any time you are done with the duties, and find a gym between your workplace and your home.
  • 88AViva
    88AViva Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Espresso or cold brew. A playlist I chose the night before. Shoes and workout clothes kept ready on a chair.
    After that cold shower with the peppermint tea tree soap and I feel better that it's all done.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Nothing, eyes open, trainers on and go run or hike depending on the day
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I look forward to the gym, it's my favorite part of the day.

I drink a liquid IV or other hydration drink before I go/on the way.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Wake up at 5:30, do some stretching in bed, apply some bio freeze if needed on the rickety sore parts, suit up, usually have a Celsius, shake off all the cob webs and between 6:30-7 I head out for a 3-7 mile jog. I usually decide distance as I walk onto the street.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I go straight to the gym after work, which is 3 blocks from my office. So, even on bad weather days I have no excuse to not go. Gym bag is packed the night before and just the "ritual" of leaving work (stressful part of the day is over) and getting to switch to ME time for the next couple hours is all the motivation I need.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Up at 5:45. Make coffee. Feed pets. Drink coffee black. Check work email. Grab gym bag and head to the gym before 6:30. Mon - Fri., rain or shine, dark or light, hot or cold.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I wake up. I sleep in yoga pants and a tank top so I just need to add sneakers. Hit go on my coffee maker. I use my protein shake to take my 6am pills and dump the rest in my coffee. Feed pets, get my husband whatever he needs to get off to work, walk him out and then back inside to work out. We have a home gym. I work out 7 days a week and thank you to my little furry alarm clocks, I’m exercising by 7am or so.

My current go to is elliptical, bowflex, yoga. Putting the yoga at the end (instead of first) is new and I’m able to do poses more effectively. Yoga is for everyone . If you don’t do it, try it… you will feel amazing. I ride my (recumbent) exercise bike on and off all day.

Depending on the weather I go on my treadmill or if we will walk our Pomeranian an hour at night.
    , I skip the treadmill. Rinse off, go in my hot tub for 20 minutes to an hour or so where I do relax but I
    also do stretching because it feels like a lovely cool down.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym during my lunch hour...my only ritual is to change clothes and send an email to my subordinates that I'm going to the gym.
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    1 mile warm up walk post breakfast. Warms up my limbs, I get to enjoy nature, chat with my walking buddy, bond with my dog, then I drop my dog off at my apartment, knowing she's already used the restroom, and head to the gym. It gives me 20-30 minutes to digest AND puts me into a workout mentality.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,431 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym first thing in the morning, so part of my ritual I guess is getting my gym bag ready the night before, packing work clothes to change into following my workout/shower, plugging my iPod in to charge (WAY too many workouts where my tunes died midway lol). At 5am when my alarm sounds, I throw on my gym clothes, drink 8oz of water with Emergen-C and a caffeine pill, feed the cats/dog, pull out whatever meats needed for dinner to thaw, load the dishwasher if not done the night before, and hit the road by 5:30.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple, I enjoy my cup of coffee, sometimes I'll scroll my pinterest "inspiration" board, and start listening to my workout tunes to get in the mindset.
  • patriotjefferson
    patriotjefferson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I pull my super long hair into a pony tail, put on a headband, get a jar/bottle of water & have a good playlist.
    My playlists start with slower music for the “warm up”, a few regular paced songs, then the upbeat. The end of my playlists are to “wind down” with a few slow songs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,614 Member
    Options
    Lol, I'm OCD so I rerack the weights so everything is even. In other words, every bench (we have weight trees on each bench press), leg press and rack, has an even amount of weights for every plate. Then I workout. Depending on how messy it is (and it usually isn't), it takes me about 15 minutes to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Roll out of bed at 3:15 am, put on the gym clothes I laid out the night before, drink a large cup of coffee while I drive to the gym.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,512 Member
    Options
    What is this "gym" of which you speak?

I pack my gear, eat my peanut butter on Ezekiel pita with kefir on the side, drive to the river, take my oars and my water bottle to the dock, sign out in the log book, then carry down a boat to row, and launch.

Or I dress for the activity, put a few snacks in my bag and my water bottle in the holder, check the air in my tires and cycle.

Plenty of sunscreen on my skim-milk blue-white skin in either case.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    What is this "gym" of which you speak?

I pack my gear, eat my peanut butter on Ezekiel pita with kefir on the side, drive to the river, take my oars and my water bottle to the dock, sign out in the log book, then carry down a boat to row, and launch.

Or I dress for the activity, put a few snacks in my bag and my water bottle in the holder, check the air in my tires and cycle.

Plenty of sunscreen on my skim-milk blue-white skin in either case.

Omg jealous! Seriously my dream workout! I swear I was born to row but I've never lived in an area where it was a feasible option on the regular 😩