Rewarding yourself when meeting goals

Options
So I've recently started on my healthy living journey, and for me the main thing is sugar. I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to it, and I've set a goal for myself to not eat anything with obvious added sugars. I've said that I'd get myself a fitbit (or similar tracker) if I can make it a month. I've been thinking of more rewards and came up with the following:

- 1 month: fitbit
- 3 months: gym membership
- 6 months: Personal trainer
- 9 months: dance class I've always wanted to do
- 1 year: get-away travel to a place I've always wanted to revisit

Now some of it might seem trivial or counter-intuitive: like why not get a gym membership straight away? Well, my thoughts are that I need to prove to myself that I want this better lifestyle enough for myself that I'm willing to do work on my own for it for a bit without a crutch. What are your thoughts? Do you reward yourself some way?

Replies

• pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I never kept anything that organized and planned in advance for rewards but I can see how that would be really helpful. I mostly plan rewards when I'm getting close to a goal for just for my next mini goal.

That said I've had rewards that were a meal at a favorite restaurant (I know that sounds counter productive but it meant not going for 6 months instead of going every couple weeks), a higher quality Fitbit, a blue tooth scale, a new dress/outfit, a weekend trip. I think your list is pretty great.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I put up my clothes that didn't fit and told myself when I got under 120lbs I'd get it out.

Technically I was at 121lbs when I got out my skinny jeans, but they fit.

I also bought myself new leggings after losing 10lbs (I'm trying to lose ~18lbs, so more than halfway there). I found some amazing clearance deals on leggings, I got two pair for $8/each. $8! And they look so good.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I definitely reward myself! My ultimate reward will be getting off my blood pressure medication and feeling better in my own skin. I have rewards for mini goals like a Fitbit, books, a new yoga mat, a better scale, clothes and a vacation. My next is new walking shoes!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with rewards for attaining goals! It gives us extra incentive to work a little harder while realizing our ultimate reward is living healthier, with less physical issues.
    ETA: Your goals are all health related which makes it even better. It's not like 'if I eat good this week I'll buy ice cream this weekend'. That'd be me. :(
  • ToffeeApple71
    ToffeeApple71 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with a facial (my 1st ever) after 20kg. Then a pedicure (again, my 1st ever) after 30kg. A 3-day tramp after 50kg...which meant buying a pack and tramping boots. So ... expensive... but they are now well-used. Loving my new hobby and getting out there again. Best reward ever.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    You do you. You are the only one who knows what will work for you. If those goals and rewards motivate you, then try it.
    If it doesn’t work, hen try something else.

Good luck
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If thinking, "I really want that treat but I'll forgo it so I can have a gym membership" motivates you then set that goal. If you can't see a long term goal helping to stop you from indulging in a short term calorie gratification, then don't worry about the rewards. There's no "one size fits all" when it comes to weight loss and how we stay motivated.

That said, my rewards have always been about the results of the weight loss rather than what I want to buy myself. If I want a Fitbit, I buy a Fitbit, especially if it means it'll help me reach my goals faster.