Low appetite

Does anyone else have a really low appetite? I really need to gain weight and my calorie goal is about 1650. If I eat 1300 in a day it’s enough to make me feel stuffed and bloated. High calorie foods like avocado/nuts/etc. just make me feel worse. Any tips for stimulating what little appetite I have?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,596 Member
    What foods do you really enjoy? Appetite is very much mental. Cheese is often something people like that's very high calorie. As is bacon. Pizza, burgers, tacos, pasta with cream based sauces. Milk is very high calorie as well if you enjoy it. Pastries as well. Add butter to anything, and that's going to up the calories by 100 calories per tablespoon.
  • sollyn23l2
    Heck, you can even drink a bunch of calories... juice, soda, milkshakes.
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    All that stuff is the kind of stuff I’ve been eating (except for pasta and tacos which I don’t care for) and it’s the stuff that’s making me feel full and gross without giving me any of the other nutrients I need.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    There is a "Gaining Weight" subforum. Maybe try looking over there.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/goal-gaining-weight
  • sollyn23l2
    All that stuff is the kind of stuff I’ve been eating (except for pasta and tacos which I don’t care for) and it’s the stuff that’s making me feel full and gross without giving me any of the other nutrients I need.

Well, you're going to have to change your mentality towards food, and only you can do that. No-one else but you can decide what you're willing to eat. So figure out what you're willing to eat. Or don't eat, but then nothing will change.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    I would consider adding nuts, nut butter, smoothies, seeds, avocado, olives. I just posted about making smoothies for work so I get enough nutrients.
  • BuellerFerrisBueller
    BuellerFerrisBueller Posts: 35 Member
    Some tips:
    1. Watch the movie _Eat Drink Man Woman_. One of the characters is a retired master chef for the Grand Hotel in Taipei. Every time you see the delicious food he cooks, you will become extremely hungry.
    2. Procure a time machine and go to the month of January. Bonus points for picking one of the coldest days of January. Cold weather gives me a large appetite. Bitterly cold weather gives me a gargantuan appetite. I will NEVER EVER understand why January is the most popular month for being on a diet, because it's the very worst! On the other hand, summer is the best season for being on a diet, because the heat is a great appetite suppressant.
  • sollyn23l2
    Some tips:
    1. Watch the movie _Eat Drink Man Woman_. One of the characters is a retired master chef for the Grand Hotel in Taipei. Every time you see the delicious food he cooks, you will become extremely hungry.
    2. Procure a time machine and go to the month of January. Bonus points for picking one of the coldest days of January. Cold weather gives me a large appetite. Bitterly cold weather gives me a gargantuan appetite. I will NEVER EVER understand why January is the most popular month for being on a diet, because it's the very worst! On the other hand, summer is the best season for being on a diet, because the heat is a great appetite suppressant.

Totally agreed. And love the username BTW. Best. Movie. Ever.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    I hope you got some good advice from the gaining weight forum, but I wanted to add my thoughts.

I had such horrible appetite, stomach pain whenever eating a couple months ago and my dr was concerned enough to order and EGD to rule out cancer. I have cut out gluten entirely. I already could not eat meat or some artificial sweeteners. Anyway, it took probably a month or so and one day I was hungry again… I seriously had no appetite and was eating to survive.

I guess what I’m saying is… is there a medical reason behind your poor appetite and bloating? Perhaps you would be better off to see your physician for a work up because obviously if eating a bunch of cookies or guzzling milkshakes worked for you, you would not be seeking help.

One thing I did was set a minimum amount I would accept to eat for the day, obviously try to get your calories in, but if you at least make it to that goal you will let your body be your guide. But if you don’t want to eat at all, force yourself to get some food in. I still drink two protein shakes a day to help boost my nutrition, but I’m hungry when I need to eat now so I feel like my stomach is doing better. Good luck! Please do consult your doctor.
  • BuellerFerrisBueller
    BuellerFerrisBueller Posts: 35 Member
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Some tips:

Totally agreed. And love the username BTW. Best. Movie. Ever.

Thanks. I have as much regard for the idea of losing weight in deep winter as Ferris Bueller had for school attendance policies. That said, eating only healthy foods and no junk foods does reduce winter weight gain.