"Learning to Run"-open support group

Options

Replies

• Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I too, am also trying C25K.
    I completed w1d3 today, although not without challenges.
    My treadmill started going crazy 6 runs in, and I had to get off to fix it... but 5 min later when I got back on I ran 2min x 3 times, instead of 1min.

Just gotta keep going! :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I ran for a couple of years, builing towards 10m long runs when i hurt myself, late 2009. Life got hectic and i just didn't start again. I downloaded the c25k app to my phone a couple of weeks ago, and am doing it with my little girl. We're loving it. The phone app also means we don't have the pesky watch problem. . .
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Great job on the race and the new PR! Are you going to celebrate? (I won't ask about food rewards!)

No it wasnt a race......just a trail that happens to be 3.1 miles...so I was trying to see if I could finish it, since I am doing a 5K in October. So no rewards...but I will once I make the whole thing without walking at all.
    Trying again tomorrow!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to start on week 4 as well. I got myself up to two to three minutes already simply from training myself! Thanks for this!
  • marz31
    marz31 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! doing so well the first time trying is commendable!
    Ran 3.1 mile trail (very hilly) in 30 mins and 54 seconds...my best time yet!!! I did have to walk, but only for 50 seconds. Hopefully next time I make the whole thing....
  • abby459
    Options
    Today will be attempt #2 to run 3.1 miles without stopping....I'll let you know how it goes later!
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi ! I always used to hate running ! Then I forced myself to start because I wanted to lose weight, and now I love it! It just takes time to get in shape and then it becomes in enjoyable. I started in January and have surprisingly stuck with it this time. I did C25K which was awesome..and do a lot of running on my own but I'm running my first 10K on Saturday and hopefully training for my first half marathon in May 2012!
  • Lisajane76
    Lisajane76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am a new runner as well. I started Couch to 5k and I am in the fourth week. I feel amazing. I have also registred for a 5k at the end of October. My goal is to be able to complete 3.1 miles then starting in october trying to "shave" some time off. I will never forget the day I ran a 10 min mile without stopping...most glorious feeling beside having my children, that i've ever felt. My ultimate goal is to be able to run a marathon...but for now i'm taking it mile by mile.

SW 316
    CW 175
    GW 140
  • jilliankristina
    Options
    Okay, well Id like to join. I can do the elliptial machine for up to 30 minutes at 3.5-6.0 pace. But i can only run on the tredmill maybe three minutes tops, then two minutes, then one minute then I am so exhausted I can barely walk....I need help in learing how to run!! inbox me too lol
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am in! My husband and I are starting the Couch to 5K tonight! The last time I ran daily was when I played softball my freshman year in HS quite some time ago.....I am really pumped about doing this! It is soooo true when you have a buddy it makes it all so much easier! My husband is the first person to stick with me! Yeah! Excited!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing 40 minutes of running today as penance for missing my workout on Saturday.:-P I did it once last week and it was pretty rough. Wish me luck!!!

Shannon
  • PrincessStubbie
    PrincessStubbie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am starting tonight, and I too have downloaded the C25K app to the phone...how does it work better than a watch. Would love to know!
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump for late:)
  • JCTJCT
    Options
    Hi! I'm Jay and I just did the very first part of Couch 2 5K this morning - in the rain! The rain was actually nice and refreshing - it cooled my bright red face :) I downloaded the NHS (UK) one from the website, it's brilliant for me because the timing and instructions are all part of the podcast. If I had to time myself I just wouldnt do it. I always thought I wasn't in bad shape (I walk and cycle everywhere) but I could only just make it to the end of each 1 minute run. I'm hoping it gets easier, it might take a while. I want to shape up, lose some weight and just be generally fitter. I recently turned 40 and instead of making me depressed it actually had the opposite effect - I defined some goals and decided to change my behaviour once and for all. It also made me see I need to take care of my health as I get older.

I LOVE the encouragement on here, especially from people who have done Couch 2 5K and said they were not runners to begin with but now they like running. I actually believe you because you are REAL people and you know what a struggle it can be to get off the couch!!
  • qwills2cats
    qwills2cats Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am pumped to read so many folks are training for their first 5k. That is my goal too. I am still working on being able to run 1 mile without stopping. I am not using any program but am going to check out some of the ones mentioned in the posts.

The school complex near me is a 2 mile square so I am currently alternating walking and running the sides of the square. So basically walk a half mile, run a half mile (or slow jog in my case), walk a half mile, rinse and repeat.

After the first week of trying to run in my new balance I went out and bought asics running shoes. They are awesome.
  • abby459
    Options
    Well I made my whole 3.1mile trail yesterday without walking at all...and then, since I felt so good, I ran another 4 miles!!! I had to walk for a total of 6mins during this one...but did the whole 7.1 miles in 73 mins....not bad for a trail run!!!
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, abby!! How did you advance so fast? That's amazing! I think there is some barrier that once you get past it your legs can just keep going....that's what I'm starting to learn. I just don't want to overtrain before my first race. I just want to see what I can do after it! A 10K is definitely possible for me now!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Yay! The 40 minute run was rough, but I reached a BP for my mile! Originally I was at 16:28, now I'm at 14:16. :-D

Shannon
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just did my 2nd 5k...still slow 33.18. but came in over 3 min faster than the first!! I couldn't run a min when I stared! Hit 4 miles the other day. I would love to join this group and I'm looking for some friends please addd me...I have 20-25 more pounds to go and really need a push!!! Thanks.
  • JCTJCT
    Options
    Wow, that's so inspiring that you did 2 5Ks! 33.18 sounds GREAT to me!! I'm finding it hard to run a minute, I hope it gets easier. You are doing so well!!