Does Homemade Sea Moss Gel go bad?

Options
Hi All,

I made a batch of sea moss gel around 3 months ago and I still have so much of it left. They have been stored in glass jars (not canned) in my fridge for about 3 months. the only thing that is in them is sea moss and water. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Cheers
Tagged:

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    No idea whatsoever. But lots of questions for you. :) What are the health benefits? What does it taste like? Do you simply eat it the way it is or how do you use it?

Sorry, but sea moss gel sounds like it's way below sushi in my list of things I can't wait to try. And I haven't gotten brave enough for sushi yet. There are soooo many yummy things out there and so little time(not to mention available calories). :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    have never heard of sea moss gel - but a quick google tells me it is a thing.

Products with all sorts of claims - weight loss, gut health, thyroid health, fights agaisnt cancer,neoroprotective effects, fights against fatigue etc etc

In short, the latest wonder stuff

or snake oil - whichever way you want to look at it. ;)
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Hi Cgcgraded,

Has it changed color? Does it have a sour or foul smell? If not it should be ok. As with many foods, the longer it’s sits there is a chance the nutritional value will degrade.

You just reminded me there is a purple sea moss variety at my grocery store from the Caribbean that I have been wanting to try!! 💫

@ReenieHJ @paperpudding - I eat a lot of kelp/seaweed & sea vegetables which is how I found sea mosses years ago while I was living in Japan. It’s actually in many prepared foods that the masses eat daily. It’s where the thickener carrageenan comes from.

I use it in sauces and smoothies. It has no taste just texture. Also great for puddings! Low calorie but with a robust nutritional profile.

1 gram of fiber per 2 tablespoons and rich in iron. Those looking to add fiber, iron, potassium or other nutrients may find useful. (In addition to use as carrageenan- recipe thickener.)

Makes it a great add in for recipes in which I take care of my mother who needs to boost her hemoglobin after its ravaged by chemo. (Adding iron helps with this.)

The macronutrients are interesting too.. thought it couldn’t hurt to try to get more from actual food instead of supplements.

My 2 cents for the day. 🤗

Tried to add a photo of the nutritional breakdown on label - but not adding :(

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC - if it has nutritional value and good in recipes, that's great.

Like that other product, apple cider vinegar - nothing wrong with it in recipes etc.

Issue is only when it is promoted as a wonder product (which to be fair, OP did not do at all)

Perhaps it was only the sites google threw up which made fantastical claims re cancer, weight loss etc
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    @paperpudding - agree! ;)
  • strengthmogul
    strengthmogul Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're exploring sea moss gel! If you're wondering about its shelf life, homemade sea moss gel typically lasts for about two to three weeks in the refrigerator. Since yours has been stored for three months, it's best to check for any changes in color, smell, or texture before consuming. If it looks and smells fine, it should be safe to use.

If you're interested in trying a different sea moss gel or looking for more information, you might want to check out sea moss gel products. They can vary in quality and shelf life, so it's always good to do your research or consult with a healthcare professional before trying new products.