How to get net carbs and protein up

My macros show I’m low on protein and net carbs. What suggestions do you have to get those up. I’m doing something very wrong. I’m gaining weight now and I’m coming in under my calorie goals.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Open your diary so we can have a look. Being under both carbs and protein would mean that you are eating mostly fat. Are you doing some sort of keto diet?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    Open your diary so we can have a look. Being under both carbs and protein would mean that you are eating mostly fat. Are you doing some sort of keto diet?

In another thread OP mentioned eating virtually no fat. I think the issue is general undereating perhaps?
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Or perhaps not measuring correctly, since she is gaining and not losing when coming in under calorie goals not eating carbs, fat or protein.
  • Lietchi
    Or perhaps not measuring correctly, since she is gaining and not losing when coming in under calorie goals not eating carbs, fat or protein.

But probably not actually gaining, it's only been a few days after having lost 5lbs in a month.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10869468/why-is-the-scale-not-moving#latest

• Lietchi

I second the request to see your food diary. Eating virtually no fat as well as being under your goal for protein and carbs just indicates to me that you're not eating enough.
    Or you're logging inaccurately.

As we said in your other topic, weight fluctuations are normal, it's too early to say you're gaining weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Alcohol?
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    edited July 2022

Alcohol?

I don’t drink alcohol so don’t log alcoholic beverages, but most if logged correctly would be fairly high in carbs by volume. A glass of wine should be 4-5 g carbs judging from the NA substitutes I have at home, and although it would depend on the liquor whether it has carbs (presumably clear ones dont) the mixers do. Beer is high in carbs and calories generally. But I suppose people forget to log alcohol and beverages all the time, so you might be on to something. The other interesting thing I recently learned about alcohol is that since your liver has to prioritize processing alcohol (because it is a toxin) it alters the way fats and calories from food consumed with alcohol are processed and stored (not to your benefit for weight loss!)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Alcohol?

I don’t drink alcohol so don’t log alcoholic beverages, but most if logged correctly would be fairly high in carbs by volume. A glass of wine should be 4-5 g carbs judging from the NA substitutes I have at home, and although it would depend on the liquor whether it has carbs (presumably clear ones dont) the mixers do. Beer is high in carbs and calories generally. But I suppose people forget to log alcohol and beverages all the time, so you might be on to something. The other interesting thing I recently learned about alcohol is that since your liver has to prioritize processing alcohol (because it is a toxin) it alters the way fats and calories from food consumed with alcohol are processed and stored (not to your benefit for weight loss!)

My suggestion was with respect to the OP, who has stated they're gaining weight despite consuming few carbs, protein, or fat. Alcohol is a source of calories that is not carbs, protein, or fat. Yes, it can come in drinks that also include carbs, but alcohol itself is a whole other thing.

If you drink distilled liquor straight or mixed with a no-calorie mixer like seltzer, all the calories are from alcohol, and the macros won't show up in your MFP diary even if you log it.

While your body prioritizes processing alcohol, it doesn't make a difference to your weight if calories are held constant. If you consume 2000 calories, including 250 calories of alcohol, the results will be the same in terms of weight (in the long term -- short term you'll likely have some water weight gain) as if you consume 2000 calories that don't include alcohol.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited July 2022

Alcohol?

My suggestion was with respect to the OP, who has stated they're gaining weight despite consuming few carbs, protein, or fat. Alcohol is a source of calories that is not carbs, protein, or fat. Yes, it can come in drinks that also include carbs, but alcohol itself is a whole other thing.

If you drink distilled liquor straight or mixed with a no-calorie mixer like seltzer, all the calories are from alcohol, and the macros won't show up in your MFP diary even if you log it.

While your body prioritizes processing alcohol, it doesn't make a difference to your weight if calories are held constant. If you consume 2000 calories, including 250 calories of alcohol, the results will be the same in terms of weight (in the long term -- short term you'll likely have some water weight gain) as if you consume 2000 calories that don't include alcohol.

Just an FYI, alcohol calories via distilled liquors such as tequila, vodka, rum, and whiskey do show up in MFP and will count towards your daily calories as long as you add them. In macros, they will show up as carbohydrates, even though technically, as you pointed out, they are not.
  • Lietchi
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

Alcohol?

Just an FYI, alcohol calories via distilled liquors such as tequila, vodka, rum, and whiskey do show up in MFP and will count towards your daily calories as long as you add them. In macros, they will show up as carbohydrates, even though technically, as you pointed out, they are not.

That will depend on how correct the entry is you're using. I just random searched for liquors in the database and saw plenty of entries with calories and zero macros.

But I think we're diverging a lot from the OP, she hasn't mentioned alcohol.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

Alcohol?

Yes please. Is it too early in the day? :)
  • MamaBearWorx93
    MamaBearWorx93 Posts: 18 Member
    No alcohol is not the issue. I’ve been looking at my macros more closely - I’m very new to this so still learning - I’m eating lots of non fat fruits and veggies which are giving me lots of vitamins but not enough lean protein or those good fats. I’ve started adding in avocado and more lean protein and more eggs. I do eat protein like chicken, fish and eggs but I think I’ve not been eating enough. I eat Dave’s killer bread which is low in calories but excellent source of fiber etc so I am increasing how much I eat of that also. Also adding in more beans and quinoa. I have been eating beans but not enough I think. My numbers are starting to look better.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    edited July 2022
    Nevermind. Reread the thread.

I'll repeat what I said if the op continues to gain. 😀