Flax Seed Oil?

Options
I been looking into buying some flax seed oil pills as its been recommended for body recovery and over all health... but first was wondering if anyone else takes it and how much do you take?

Replies

• msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Funny....I just purchased whole flax seeds but reading and more reading I'm going to purchase the ground flax seed so I can add it to my protein shakes and other food items - really supposed to be good stuff!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just buy the oil itself and add it to foods (it's pretty tasteless) or cook with it.

However, canola oil is just as good and a lot cheaper.
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use flax seeds, or linseeds same thing different name, I grind up enough for about 5/6 days and then refrigerate, I use 1 tsp per day and also use cool oil or hemp oil as well, again about 1 tsp per day, not sure if that is enough or not??? If you use the oil you have to be careful you don't use it with anything hot as heating it changes the properties of it, so I use it on cereals or salads. Hope that helps a bit. Never used the pills, sorry.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
  • harmony223
    harmony223 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Do not cook with flax seed oil. It changes the properties. It's best used as a dressing or in smoothies. I have been using it for years!!
  • adhillman01
    Options
    We learned in our complimentary medicine class that actual flax seed is better than the oil. There is a lignan fiber in the flax seed that isn't present in the oil that has most of the cardiovascular benefits.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't like the pills. I get an oil blend. You can find it on amazon. It's UDO's 3-6-9 Oil Blend. It's a bit pricey, but one tablespoon a day is good. I usually add it to fruit smoothies (1/2 cup milk, 1 cup frozen fruit, 1 tbsp oil). It is amazing.

I do also have milled flaxseed. I was using the seeds, but the milled it a lot better and has more benefits.

My mom has the pills and gets Nature's Bounty I think..
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I use flax seed meal in my 2 minute microwave muffin bread and now add to some of my recipes mixing it with breadcrumbs and panko.
  • sdwelk11
    Options
    never used the pills but i use the oil in my smoothies and there isnt much taste to it but the texture takes a little getting used to