Drinking Responsibly

Options
At the tender age of 23 i have come to the realization that i am in capable of drinking responsibly...not that i get so out of control that i would hurt any one..just that i cannot have one or two drinks and move on....once i start i usually continue to attain a certian "drunk". I realize now that it stands in the way of my life goals and makes me over all feel like *kitten*.

I had quit drinking for a few months. And i am now sure that its just something i don't want or need in my life.

It goes against my health goals..my life goals, socially and economically. Overall just not a positive influence in my life. So i will stand up against peer pressures and do what is right for me.

I know that my MFP is a place were people learn and grow so i thought i would share my epiphany with you.
Happy monday. And i hope anyone who reads this makes the best choices for themselves this week.
Andria:flowerforyou:

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! Yes I went through my periods of complete drunkeness. Basically it is accepted as early as high school where I grow up at. I used to drink a lot, it even came down to the point of me having to move away from my family to get away from it. I have not completely quit, but have not been drunk in a very long time. I drink 2 beers or one martini and call it good.

Stay strong girl! PROUD!! =0)
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Nothing wrong with a drink or two, unless you can't control yourself. You may be 23, but you are obviously mature to realize this weakness in yourself. You can do it!
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I made that choice about 12 years ago....but for other reasons. I think alcoholism is an inherited weakness, it runs deep in my family. I choose not to fight that demon. I like to be in control of myself and really would hate to have people come up to me after a weekend and have "stories" to tell. My children were really little when I made that choice, and I'm glad I did. SO you stick by your choice and enjoy your life. You will be thank yourself for it later!!!
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Dear Andria,

I agree with you. Consuming alcohol is counter-productive in so many ways, not just weight loss. How many times has it lead me into the wrong decisions. Not just in my eating, but in other decisions. It is noble and I support you.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on realization...it takes some people years to realize.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I made that choice about 12 years ago....but for other reasons. I think alcoholism is an inherited weakness, it runs deep in my family. I choose not to fight that demon. I like to be in control of myself and really would hate to have people come up to me after a weekend and have "stories" to tell. My children were really little when I made that choice, and I'm glad I did. SO you stick by your choice and enjoy your life. You will be thank yourself for it later!!!

Same here!
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    I have been in recovery from alcoholism for over 19 years and I gotta tell you, it;s a life next to none. Wouldn't be doing this or be a trainer myself if I were still using.

It's a great choice to stay clean and sober.....

Keep truckin....

Nyla
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i do that too! what i have to do is just have one special night out once a month or so, the resulting weight is usually just water if you take shots (which is better anyway, no juices) and it tends to come off quickly
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I don't think that often when I am at home (I drink most nights when we are in Italy, but it seems easier to drink responsibly there and just have one glass), but when I do, I don't have an off switch. I gave up entirely for over 3 years when I was pregnant and then breastfeeding my children, but now I have the occasional night out, maybe once every 2 or 3 months, and when I do, I always drink too much. I have to say, after 3 years of not drinking, I was desperate to have one!
  • Charrah
    Options
    I love the honesty and clarity in your post, really admirable of you.
    Congrats and good luck with your decision.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I am not an alcoholic, I am an alcohol abuser. I rarely drink, but when I do I do it right. I quit going for the mixed drinks, just straight shots. Saved calories and it was quicker.
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    PS - when I put down the drink, I picked up food and am also a recovering food addict. Don't cha love it! No worries, just gotta keep on doing the next right thing...

Blessings all...
  • CoachNYLA
    Options
    I have the same problem, I am not an alcoholic, I am an alcohol abuser. I rarely drink, but when I do I do it right. I quit going for the mixed drinks, just straight shots. Saved calories and it was quicker.

I remember those days....also, I did not have to go to the bathroom as often so I could drink more... LOL - glad those days are over....
  • CoachNYLA
    Options

Same here!

Right on!!!!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I always joke that I consumed enough alcohol in my early 20s to last the rest of my life. Unfortunately, there is probably some truth to that. After I married and got pregnant with my first daughter, I quit altogether. Drinking just wasn't important or appealing anymore. That was over 15 years ago. It's no different than cutting out other unhealthy aspects of your life. Good Luck!
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    yep - drinkings got knobs on it I say.
  • chatal36
    chatal36 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support :smooched: