Tracking opened your eyes to……???

Options
2»

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I realized that there are no "free" foods. I never did Weight Watchers, but I still thought that I could eat as much as I wanted of "healthy" foods. Amazing how many calories "healthy" foods can have.

So what are you supposed to do when you get the munchies? Starve yourself? Go to bed hungry?

I don't normally get the munchies at this time of year, because summer heat is the best appetite suppressant. On the other hand, cold weather gives me a large appetite, and bitterly cold weather gives me a gargantuan appetite. I rely on winters to try out new recipes and try out new healthy foods that I'm not sure about. Now that I'm avoiding all junk foods (due to the pandemic), my winter diet is healthier than my summer diet. I use my Big Fat Winter Appetite to eat a larger quantity and variety of vegetables than I consume in summer.

I eat whatever I want, but I make sure it fits in my calories for the day. I have never starved myself or went to bed hungry. The point was that you have to account for ALL your foods, whether they are "healthy" or something you consider "junk food".
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Sodium!
    I don’t add salt to recipes or sprinkle it on my food and avoid packaged foods with high sodium content. But my protein shakes, cottage cheese, veggie burgers…..oh my!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time I'd stop at the Burger King drive-thru every morning on the way to work to pick up a "snack" of French toast sticks, miniature cinnamon rolls, and an OJ. Figured it was so small and not-filling that it wasn't a problem, and blamed my weight gain on other things. Years after I'd broken this habit I learned through logging that I was putting away 1500 calories in this "snack," let alone the full day's worth of food on top of it. Yep, that weight-gain makes sense now...
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It was really eye opening to see how many calories I was simply DRINKING each day. My coffee with creamer and lemonades/Kool-Aid's had me drinking more than 900 calories a day.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I learned that a short walk (or even a longer one) around the neighborhood didn’t “erase” that family pack of DoubleStuff, bag of Geneva cookies, half a key lime pie, or sack of Cadbury’s Crispy Eggs (or all of the above, as was often the case).

Logging helped me realize the correlation between what went in my mouth and what stayed on my hips.

I learned that counting calories was a lot like creating and sticking to a family budget. That, I could do, and thinking of it that way made it easier.

I learned that spending calories here was more satisfying and satiating than blowing them in there.

I learned that not logging something doesn’t simply make it “not count” or go away.

I learned that a lot of what I eat is simply through boredom, and that if I logged it before I ate it, I’d think twice about eating it and step away from the snack food. That led to prelogging my entire day, often my entire week, which I learned what’s a great strategy for staying within my goals.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Tracking has shown me that if I make sure I have fiber and a healthy fat with each meal I stay full longer.