My Shopping List

Options
Hi friends,
I’m 212 lbs and want to get down to 185 lbs.
I haven’t been eating healthy… lots of pizzas and fried chicken and chocolate.
I’m going to try to eat more salads
And apples with peanut butter.
I’m going shopping today
Please suggest a few things to add to my shopping list.
Thanks

Replies

• mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I recommend avoiding the middle aisles as much as possible. Buy a nice variety of vegetables and fruit. Spinach is something you can use in 100 ways. Pick up some nuts (plain), berries, and plain Greek yogurt. I like dairy products so I always pick up cheese (full fat) and cottage cheese. I have started buying smaller portions of meat but better quality - so grass fed beef and free range chicken. Make sure you have olive oil or avocado oil on hand. I cook with more seasonings than condiments now. So having those on hand is good. If you are buying pasta/bread look for whole wheat with high fiber.

Salads are good and I love a good salad (not just out of the bag salad mix). But you don’t have to eat salads all of the time. Watch your dressing (type and amount) though.

It gets easier knowing what to buy as you get further into this. And everyone has different approaches. I have success with increasing fiber and reducing added sugar.

Give yourself a few weeks to learn what works for you. Log everything and pay attention to how you feel each day. Was there a day you felt full up until lunch? What did you have for breakfast that day? What were the macros? Was there a day you felt you were starving? What did you eat that day? How were your meals spread? What could you try to make the next day better? You will figure out what your body needs that way. Nobody started off perfect. Log and learn. Congratulations on starting on a path to a healthier you.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Salad is great, but if I eat a bowl of leaves I will be hungry an hour later.
    Have a think about what you can add to make them a bit more filling- some chicken or feta to have on top? Tasty seeds to sprinkle (pumpkin or sunflower are good for starters)
    Some grains- cous cous, bulghar wheat, quinoa (dead easy to cook and will happily sit in the fridge for a few days)
    Roasted veg is also nice warm or cold- pepper, aubergine, courgette, squash, sweet potato.
    I eat mine with a spoon or two of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon or lime.

Eggs are handy, hard boiled to add to salad, or a frittata.
    Soup is also easy and filling, either to make or have a few tins in.
  • dannytrees1
    dannytrees1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    You have given me some good advice and ideas.
    Ready to go shopping now
    I have crossed the pizzas off my list.
    Wish me luck🤠
  • Dreamroper
    Dreamroper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like string cheese for a snack. It's only 80 calories per piece and I have found that if I eat a couple, it curbs any hunger pangs, I also like the Quaker Oats little mini rice cakes. I get the sweet chili flavor and it's 130 calories for 16 of them. My nutrionist suggested that I eat them together, but one or the other works okay for me. Good luck on your journey.
  • KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I buy peppers, cucumbers and carrots. Then when I’m home I’ll bulk slice all of them and put them in an air tight tub. I find if they’re already sliced I’ll opt to use them, but if they’re not I’ll swerve them for something faster (and not necessarily healthier) to grab instead.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I realize you’ve already gone, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
    I agree with @COGypsy. Add veggies and fruit you like and are easy to prepare. You’ll eat those, not waste your money.
    Like fried chicken? Get boneless, skinless chicken breasts and some good seasoning you like. Season them up good and bake.
    Chocolate? Get the darkest you can possibly eat, then go just barely darker. Most people will have a very small amount occasionally, but you won’t want a whole candy bar.
    Just thoughts.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Try not to try to be too perfect when shopping. I know for me, I can get a bit optimistic and up on my high horse and think "I will not snack! I don't need treats! I'm going to be perfect and eat only the most amazingly good for me things and cook every meal from scratch!" and then I get hungry, or tired, or busy and everything I bought is too hard, and it can lead to "bugger it" thoughts. Buy for all moods, consider back up products for busy/tired/bad mood etc that will still help you keep on track, so you don't get tempted by the "all too hard, I'll order takeout".
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    seasonings will save you while eating veggies
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,134 Member
    Options
    If you want to try salads, don't be afraid to experiment. Personally, I don't do salads with leafy greens: I don't particularly enjoy those, so I make alternative salads with other raw vegetables. My last salad was: red bell pepper, tomato, chickpeas, shrimp (bought pre-boiled) and (store-bought) pesto.
    I'm a huge fan of chickpeas in my salads, fills me up but zero effort - just drain the can and add :smile:
  • dannytrees1
    Options
    I made my shopping yesterday.
    I did pick up some of your suggestions
    They were low on stock and quality in the vegetable area…no cucumbers and the bananas were too ripe.
    There’s another store a bit further away,
    I will go there next.
    Day 2 today and feeling good 🤠
    Please add more suggestions
    I’m going to start shopping every week instead of every 2 weeks.
    Mainly for the fresh vegetables.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    If you find your regular store lacking in the selection or quality of fresh produce, you could also get some frozen vegetables. Because they are typically flash-frozen soon after harvest, frozen vegetables often retain more nutrients than fresh vegetables that have had to travel far from the farm to the grocery store.

I always keep some frozen broccoli, green beans, and mixed veggies on hand for an easy side or to throw into a stir-fry. Best part is, you don't have to worry about using them before they go bad.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    They were low on stock and quality in the vegetable area…no cucumbers and the bananas were too ripe.
    I will go there next.

More importantly... are you eating them? 🤔
  • dannytrees1
    Options
    I will go there next.

Yes I am … have a look at my diary 🤠
  • dannytrees1
    Options
    If you find your regular store lacking in the selection or quality of fresh produce, you could also get some frozen vegetables. Because they are typically flash-frozen soon after harvest, frozen vegetables often retain more nutrients than fresh vegetables that have had to travel far from the farm to the grocery store.

I always keep some frozen broccoli, green beans, and mixed veggies on hand for an easy side or to throw into a stir-fry. Best part is, you don't have to worry about using them before they go bad.

Yes good idea on the frozen veggies.
    They had no cucumbers and the bananas didn’t look good was my issue.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I will go there next.

Yes I am … have a look at my diary 🤠

Good stuff 👏
  • gluckmdg15
    gluckmdg15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ole Xtreme Wellness Tortilla Wraps, your favorite lunch meat or tofurkey Italian sausage, tomatoes, baby spinach, mustard. Add a piece of fresh fruit and that’s llunch for the week.