Macro requirements in DM

Options
What should be the ideal distribution of carbohydrates, fats and proteins in a Type 2 diabetic who does not require weight loss ?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Talk to your medical team or go to diabetes.org
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Usually Type2 diabetics have to track their carbs. Everything else just falls into place. You need to talk to your Diabetes Educator or doctor to find out what your carbs per meal should be. My mother was Type 2 and she was supposed to stay within 45 carbs per meal.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure most diabetics today (especially those not on insulin) are advised to track so closely

My husband is type 2 diabetic. he was initially on Metformin and now just on diet control

He saw a diabetic educator - both the educator in person and the literature he brought home say the obvious things like keep sugar intake to a minimum and minimise high carb foods like bread and chips.

But no specific advise about weighing or measuring in grams.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure most diabetics today (especially those not on insulin) are advised to track so closely

My husband is type 2 diabetic. he was initially on Metformin and now just on diet control

He saw a diabetic educator - both the educator in person and the literature he brought home say the obvious things like keep sugar intake to a minimum and minimise high carb foods like bread and chips.

You aren't in the US though are you? Maybe there are different protocols in different countries. As far as I know, and this was fairly recent until she died in February, she was supposed to track her carbs. (she didn't, which is part of the reason she died, quite frankly).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Without trying to give you specific advice (I'm unqualified), I'd make a general observation: Sometimes, when an individual has important specialized dietary needs, percentages may not be the ideal starting point.

Think about it: At the same percent, someone eating lowered calories to lose weight is going to estimate needing a lower actual amount of carbs/protein/fat (in grams) than someone who's otherwise exactly the same (age, weight, etc.) but eating at maintenance calories.

Example: At 1200 calories, 25% protein would be 300 calories from protein, or 75 grams daily (protein has about 4 calories per gram). If that same person were eating 2000 calories, 25% protein would be 125g protein daily. That's a pretty big difference, y'know?

Protein and fat are essential nutrients, so if we want to shoot for maximum odds of good health, we each would ideally get certain specific gram minimums of those whether we're losing, gaining, or maintaining. Someone who has diabetes will also add needs to manage carbs more thoughtfully than many other people do.

Just adopting some standard percentage is a way of approximating macronutrient needs, and probably works fine for someone without specialized needs, who doesn't cut calories super far (too aggressive weight loss).

But with specialized needs like yours? Hmm, I'd be looking for advice from a registered dietitian, a certified diabetes educator, or at least one of the well-respected diabetes support sources. Even if they suggest percentages, it will be with better recognition of your situation.

Even for myself (not as specialized from a health standpoint), I estimated my needs for protein and fats in grams, then set my percentages to hit close to those gram goals, rather than just adopting some standard percentage. The percentages were different when I was losing weight, vs. now, when maintaining (so on higher calories), because of how the math works out.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »

You aren't in the US though are you? Maybe there are different protocols in different countries. As far as I know, and this was fairly recent until she died in February, she was supposed to track her carbs. (she didn't, which is part of the reason she died, quite frankly).

No I am not in the US

But the disease isn't different in different countries and I would be surprised if medical advice is greatly different either.