Premier Protein Powder causing horrible bloating

Options
Mickey317
Mickey317 Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2022 in Food and Nutrition
I just purchased two large jars of the Premier Protein Powder the Vanilla Milkshake and the Cafe Latte. Both are really good tasting but I am bloating so bad from them I look pregnant. Has anyone else had this problem? Can I do anything to stop the bloating?
I like this Protein Powder it taste really good not a after taste.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone

Replies

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...not sure why but it does have whey protein. What do you mix it with ? Milk? I mise mine with almond milk.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,721 Member
    Options
    Try a plant protein. Many.people have lactose and milk intolerances.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Do you have any other indications that you struggle with lactose? You can try having a lactaid pill (sold near the gas remedies in the drugstore, if you are not familiar) and see if it prevents it. Use up this protein powder with lactaid pills if it works.

If you mix with milk, it may be as simple as switching to water or an alternative milk. I'd get isolate powder in the future. Both whey concentrate and isolate have little lactose, but isolate has less. Mix that with an alternative milk.

I'm not recommending plant protein because I haven't found a good one. Pea is nasty. Egg is hard to use. I have rice to try and oat to try (but low on the protein compared to whey). Otherwise there is just soy to try.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Do you have any other indications that you struggle with lactose? You can try having a lactaid pill (sold near the gas remedies in the drugstore, if you are not familiar) and see if it prevents it. Use up this protein powder with lactaid pills if it works.

If you mix with milk, it may be as simple as switching to water or an alternative milk. I'd get isolate powder in the future. Both whey concentrate and isolate have little lactose, but isolate has less. Mix that with an alternative milk.

I'm not recommending plant protein because I haven't found a good one. Pea is nasty. Egg is hard to use. I have rice to try and oat to try (but low on the protein compared to whey). Otherwise there is just soy to try.

And hemp, which is what I use 🙂
  • ExistingFish
    Options

I should have mentioned I tried that too, does your come really rough? Mine was nasty, tasted nasty, really grainy texture that did not dissolve. I reckon it can be further ground down, but it was not even an option for me unless I mix it into like whole grain muffins or something.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    You may just need to switch. I use Unbreakable Performance Whey Isolate Thrilla 'n Vanilla. I mix mine with 5oz Mootopia lactose free milk and doesn't upset stomach at all. It blends nicely, doesn't have a gross aftertaste or belching. I do mix mine up with berries, fresh spinach, 1/2 banana, vanilla extract. (Don't care for mixing it with water.) Between the powder and the higher protein lactose free milk, I get a nice big dose of protein plus it tastes good on a hot day.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the sugar substitutes in protein powder and bars cause bloating: I can eat certain bars but not others. You may be able to build up a tolerance to it, and as you’ve bought two tubs it is worth a try. So have a shake but with half a measure and see how you get on, then gradually increase. I did that and can now tolerate protein powders most of the time.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I agree with @claireychn074 regarding the sugar substitutes. Maltodextrin sends most individuals to the washroom. I'm sure it doesn't help with the bloating either.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 452 Member
    Options

I should have mentioned I tried that too, does your come really rough? Mine was nasty, tasted nasty, really grainy texture that did not dissolve. I reckon it can be further ground down, but it was not even an option for me unless I mix it into like whole grain muffins or something.

No, mine is super-fine. Hemp in general has a strong and distinctive taste that's more concentrated in protein powder IME. I like it but I'm sure it's not for everyone. I've heard it described as "nutty." I use it in a smoothie with 1/2 cup each of vanilla Greek yoghurt & some kind of fruit, 1/4 cup of Fibre 1 cereal (the original one), and a cup of walnut milk. Especially delicious with papaya (guess how I found out I'm allergic to papaya 😑 ).
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options

Beef protein is also available; if memory serves, MuscleMeds is a company that makes one.

RedCon1 also makes a protein powder (MRE Lite) that has a blend of proteins from beef, salmon, chicken, egg, etc...it does have some milk protein in there too though, but I believe it's a fairly miniscule amount.

• VegjoyP
    edited July 2022
    Options
    A couple really good plant proteins worth considering -
    -At Vitamin Shoppe , True Athlete brand plant protein ( taste similar to whey IMO)
    -Planta brand. Amazing flavors!
    - KOS brand
    - Ladder brand
    - Huel
    - Natreve
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »

Beef protein is also available; if memory serves, MuscleMeds is a company that makes one.

RedCon1 also makes a protein powder (MRE Lite) that has a blend of proteins from beef, salmon, chicken, egg, etc...it does have some milk protein in there too though, but I believe it's a fairly miniscule amount.

I like the Redcon plant based Peanut Butter !
  • ExistingFish
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    A couple really good plant proteins worth considering -
    -At Vitamin Shoppe , True Athlete brand plant protein ( taste similar to whey IMO)
    -Planta brand. Amazing flavors!
    - KOS brand
    - Ladder brand
    - Huel
    - Natreve

I have tried KOS, it was the pea I tried. You know that mealy taste that canned green peas have? That is what it tastes like. I may just not like pea, but I have heard from others who have tried pea protein they didn't like it either.
  • ExistingFish
    Options

No, mine is super-fine. Hemp in general has a strong and distinctive taste that's more concentrated in protein powder IME. I like it but I'm sure it's not for everyone. I've heard it described as "nutty." I use it in a smoothie with 1/2 cup each of vanilla Greek yoghurt & some kind of fruit, 1/4 cup of Fibre 1 cereal (the original one), and a cup of walnut milk. Especially delicious with papaya (guess how I found out I'm allergic to papaya 😑 ).

Interesting. I put a serving in my french toast bake, thinking it would blend. Just one serving. It isn't very good, but I'm going to eat it anyway - won't be putting hemp in it again! Maybe in a shake that has nut butter or something to compliment the flavor? Mine is green and large particles.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It's probably important to figure out *what about it is causing you to bloat. Could be the sweeteners/other ingredients.

But I'd also suggest switching to a protein supplement or shake that uses 'isolate' vs. 'concentrate'. They tend to be more expensive usually but I find that protein concentrate gives me gas and isolate doesn't tend to do that as much.