What would be considered thin for a 5'8" 19 year old female?

Options
I weigh about 119lbs now and I do strength training exercises as well so I don’t look too skinny fat but I don’t really look all that thin. What am I doing wrong? Could it be diet? I am vegetarian almost vegan(I don't really have milk or eggs most days) maybe my protein is low idk.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,292 Member
    Options
    Our perception of how we look is often skewed. Your height and weight is technically considered underweight so I doubt you look the way you think. Professional mental help will go a long way here.

Endorsed. Ask your doctor what weight is most appropriate and healthful for you: She or he actually knows you, your health history, your overall body configuration (talking about things like width of shoulder bone structure and pelvis, and things of that sort - which matters in determining ideal weight; plus relative muscularity).

I'm concerned, too, that you may already be too thin, but misperceiving yourself. That's so easy to do! (I'd be quite thin at 119, on the border of too-thin . . . and I'm 3 inches shorter than you are.)
  • Mimi_Mimi_2003
    Mimi_Mimi_2003 Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I don’t have a doctor. Haven’t been inside a doctors office in 6+ years. I don’t even know how I would make an appointment or how much all of that would cost.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I don’t have a doctor. Haven’t been inside a doctors office in 6+ years. I don’t even know how I would make an appointment or how much all of that would cost.

Do you live on your own or with parents or other family? Could you ask someone you are close to for advice on making a doctor's appointment?

It's a little worrisome that you haven't seen a doctor since you were 13 years old. Not just to talk about your weight questions, but just for general health.

What country do you live in? That could help us point you in the right direction.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Your profile says you're in Maryland, USA.

Do you have health insurance, or do your parents/guardians have health insurance that covers you?

Are you a college student, by any chance, since you're that age?

That might help us help you figure out how to see a doctor. I agree with SuzySunshine that you're overdue for general-health reasons, let alone questions about bodyweight.
  • Mimi_Mimi_2003
    edited July 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Do you have health insurance, or do your parents/guardians have health insurance that covers you?

That might help us help you figure out how to see a doctor. I agree with SuzySunshine that you're overdue for general-health reasons, let alone questions about bodyweight.

I don’t live in Maryland. I think my vpn does that. I actually live in Texas currently but I am not staying here long as I move around quite a bit. I just came to the states after living in Germany for a bit. Also i am not in college yet bc I don’t know what I want to do with my life. I just work whatever job available to make enough money to sustain myself.

I do think my mother has health insurance but I don’t actually know. When I was a child she never really took me to the doctors except a few times for some shots. But I am sort of scared to go the doctors after not going for so many years. Even if I could go I probably wouldn’t go at this point.

• Mimi_Mimi_2003
    edited July 2022
    Options

Do you live on your own or with parents or other family? Could you ask someone you are close to for advice on making a doctor's appointment?

It's a little worrisome that you haven't seen a doctor since you were 13 years old. Not just to talk about your weight questions, but just for general health.

What country do you live in? That could help us point you in the right direction.

I live on my own often but sometimes I live with my mother. I don’t think she would be of any help. I don’t really have any other family that could help with this either. So it’s all a bit confusing to me.

Currently I live in the states.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I don’t live in Maryland. I think my vpn does that. I actually live in Texas currently but I am not staying here long as I move around quite a bit. I just came to the states after living in Germany for a bit. Also i am not in college yet bc I don’t know what I want to do with my life. I just work whatever job available to make enough money to sustain myself.

I do think my mother has health insurance but I don’t actually know. When I was a child she never really took me to the doctors except a few times for some shots. But I am sort of scared to go the doctors after not going for so many years. Even if I could go I probably wouldn’t go at this point.

I say this not to be mean, but out of concern: That really isn't a good idea. There are certain kinds of preventive health care we all need in order to stay healthy, even at your young age.

I can understand being scared - it's unfamiliar, and maybe you're worried about what you might hear. But think about this: If there is something unseen but worrisome going on with your body/health, getting screened and nipping it in the bud immediately will tend to result in better outcomes, vs. waiting. You're probably fine, though, probably just need some preventive things that will help you assure good long term health. And advice about body weight.

One thing to consider would be calling or emailing your local health department (city or county, in most places), and asking about clinics in your area that might have sliding fees based on your income, or something like that.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I live on my own often but sometimes I live with my mother. I don’t think she would be of any help. I don’t really have any other family that could help with this either. So it’s all a bit confusing to me.

Currently I live in the states.

i don't live in the US so not sure all the rules about doctors and paying etc as my health care is gov't paid. but could you just walk into a doctor's office and say, hey listen, i don't know anything about doctors or setting appointments or knowing how to pay or if i have to pay. i have no idea how to navigate this system at all because i never had anyone to show me. Can you please help me understand everything i need to do to see a doctor here?
    and that is perfectly ok and i understand that may make you feel anxious, scared or 'stupid' but you are not. you just had no one to show you any of that and the person at the counter will not think badly of you and would likely be more than helpful and understanding and would not make you feel less of a person. if they do...you met the wrong person and you try again at another clinic... because no normal person would want you to feel foolish or anxious about this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,930 Member
    Options

If your mother is a US resident and has health insurance which covers dependents, you can be added to her policy and stay on it until you turn 26.

https://www.healthcare.gov/young-adults/children-under-26/
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It REALLY depends on your build and your muscle to fat ratio. For example when I was young I was 120lbs and 5.7 and looked thin. My friend was 135lbs and also looked thin. Why? Because I was pear shaped and she was apple shaped. Her extra lbs were in her breasts and upper torso mostly proportionately distributed; mine were all in my bum and my breasts were very small. Also you can look thinner if you have more muscle mass compared to the same weight with more fat.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Seffell wrote: »
    It REALLY depends on your build and your muscle to fat ratio. For example when I was young I was 120lbs and 5.7 and looked thin. My friend was 135lbs and also looked thin. Why? Because I was pear shaped and she was apple shaped. Her extra lbs were in her breasts and upper torso mostly proportionately distributed; mine were all in my bum and my breasts were very small. Also you can look thinner if you have more muscle mass compared to the same weight with more fat.

OP is underweight.... this doesn't apply. 🤷‍♀️
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Echoing others...no matter what your body composition/shape is...you are underweight and likely - to others you look underweight.

I am 5 inches shorter than you and ~6lb heavier than you and I consider myself 'thin'.