Beginner in the gym!

Options
Hi! I am not new to dieting but I am new to the gym. I wondering if there is any advice on how to get started. I always feel so intimidated when I walk in and don't feel comfortable but feel like this is what is needed in order to keep continuing. I've lost a total of 25 pounds just by eating better, but I now need to tone things up a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• FatladNeil
    FatladNeil Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was the same about 2 weeks ago, totally out of my comfort zone and surrounded by fit attractive people. Take your time and get to know all the equipment, don’t stress about it, it gets easier I promise 😁
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Can you ask someone who works at the gym for a tour, briefly explaining the different machines?
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Ask for a tour of the equipment and/or weight room. In my experience most gyms will be happy to explain how to use the various machines. I would also recommend following a structured lifting program. There is a lot of great info here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

One last thing - most of the people there are dialed into their own workout and aren't paying any attention to you. Those that do recognize you as a newbie are secretly rooting you on! Best of luck and congrats on your awesome progress!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    Remember, EVERY SINGLE PERSON in there was new at some point. It's easier said than done, but try not to feel too terribly self-conscious; I promise not everyone is staring at "that newb!"

If you have questions, just ask (of course don't interrupt a set); most people will be flattered and more than happy to help.

MOST gyms offer orientation sessions for new members, where staff will show you around and give you a crash course on how the equipment works etc. A lot of gyms will also offer an introductory personal training session (or even multiple free sessions); take advantage of those!
  • drtradecraft
    drtradecraft Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Everyone is an equal in the gym - we all desire to be different, physically and mentally. The one place you can go and find 'no judgment'. I suggest a few things to do and to know: (1) get your core muscles up to speed first, this may take six weeks; (2) understand that working the larger muscle groups will burn the most calories; (3) doing a weight movement correctly is more important than lifting more weight but doing it incorrectly; (4) Adopt a plan that you enjoy. If you do not enjoy training, you will not come back tomorrow; (5) Activity is good but some activity is better. You will learn over time what is better; (6) If you want muscle definition, you must train that muscle group to failure...meaning you cannot do another repetition. Do not start training every muscle group to failure any time soon; (7) in the beginning, you might simply choose to do circuit training. Many gym have an area of six to eight machines set aside that allows you to move from one machine to the next in a a circuit. If they do not, ask them to design a circuit for you and show you where the machines are. (8) I suggest starting with machines until you develop a stronger grip that will allow you to move to dumbbells/free weights. (9) You will find that you will need to develop a nutrition plan that aligns with your training plan. (10) drink lots of water. (11) Finally, you can complete a strong gym-based workout in 45 minutes or less. Put the phone down.
  • heather9371hb
    heather9371hb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for these kind words and motivation! I am signing up Monday! Very excited and nervous but ready to go. I downloaded a new app called "Gym Streak". It shows me all the moves, which I like. Hoping that will will help me out for a little bit before I get use to everything!
  • PizzaPowerlifter
    PizzaPowerlifter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! It can be daunting. If it’s an option, book a session or two with a trainer at your gym so you can get a bit of an idea of what kind of workouts/routine you’d like to do, and to make sure you know where all the equipment is and how to use it. Then, it’s just a matter of throwing on your headphones and ignoring everyone else. I can guarantee you that you won’t be the only person who is nervous and new. Good luck! 😊
  • LaBellaHarris
    LaBellaHarris Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Even if you can't book a full session with a trainer, I know that at least at my gym (an Anytime Fitness) I can always stick my head into the office and ask one of the trainers a quick question if they don't have a client at that moment. I explained that I had taken a long break from working out (had to get sober after I left the Army, and then I was pregnant, and then I was post-partum, and now I'm just sleep deprived and tired from chasing after a four year old all day every day during a pandemic), and knew that I was prone to knee injuries from when I was doing marathons, halfs, and centuries, so I wanted to work my way back up to some kind of fitness that I recognized, but didn't want to hurt myself by pushing too hard too fast. I explained my plan, and asked for a few machine/free weight form checks to make sure I was doing it right and wouldn't risk an injury. My squat form is a lot better and I know how to do it with the bar, free weights, and resistance bands now because the trainer showed me the variations. Turns out I was doing the Leg Press wrong, trying for a too explosive push, overextending and locking out my knees, which is why they were popping and feeling sore after. None of that was done during a scheduled Trainer Session; they just paused doing some paperwork to listen to me and help me out. As I get more comfortable with the gym and equipment, I can ask for help using other stuff (I had them show me how the rower worked and spot check my form when I was starting out, because there's only so much I can get out of a Youtube tutorial of a Very Tall Very Fit Man on a Machine™️ before I need someone to help me figure out how to alter that to fit the needs of my soft short femme body).