too much protein

Options
Hi friends! I'm having a problem-help! The whole time I've been using MFP (I used to be on under my old email address) I am always over on my protein. For example, as of finishing lunch, I have plenty of more calories, carbs, and fat left for the day, but I'm already over on protein by 10 grams.
I know that part of the problem is that I probably reach for high-protein snacks because I'm afraid I'll be hungry later, so I guess my question is: what should I be eating to keep my protein under the limit, but not be hungry?
Thanks!

Replies

• NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. As long as you don't have a compromised liver or other health issue, your body should expel excess protein.
  • AJSINK
    Options
    I am working with a personal trainer and he actually told me that he would rather see me eat more protein and good fats and keep my carbs down to under 150, I'm usually at 100 by the end of the day now...so I don't neccessarily think going over on protein is a bad thing.
  • vdonalds
    vdonalds Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said that MFP is awesome, but it does NOT give you enough protein.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hi friends! I'm having a problem-help! The whole time I've been using MFP (I used to be on under my old email address) I am always over on my protein. For example, as of finishing lunch, I have plenty of more calories, carbs, and fat left for the day, but I'm already over on protein by 10 grams.
    I know that part of the problem is that I probably reach for high-protein snacks because I'm afraid I'll be hungry later, so I guess my question is: what should I be eating to keep my protein under the limit, but not be hungry?
    Thanks!

By only 10 grams?

I always finish over by 50-200g's
  • mjgregg12
    Options
    Unless it is all from fatty meats, I wouldn't sweat going over on protein. According to my doctor, I am supposed to have 80g a day and MFP has me at 45g.
  • RJSuperMan
    RJSuperMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    More is usually better, but don't get more that 35% of your calories from proteins without consulting your doctor (or if you have liver issues).
  • azpolly
    azpolly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did notice that when you set up your goals - you can set up the specific amount of protein, carbs, and fat. The guided one gives a set standard. I set my up to 40/40/20. Which raised my protein goal higher.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    MFP is too low on protein anyway. I aim for 1-2 g per pound of bodyweight daily and it works just fine.
  • mondeflottant
    mondeflottant Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As everything, the excess of protein could be dangerous.
    The proteins leaves waste in your metabolism: urea, uric acid. The kidneys can not all eliminated so it may causes their elevation in the blood.
    But at your statement I don't think it's too much.
    The daily requirement for an healthy adult is around 1g for 2 lbs, but if you weigh more than 220 lbs you have to stay at 100g a day.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes you can change the custom settings of macronutrients.

For building muscle, a rough guide is to get 1g protein per lb of lean body mass. Basically this means up to 100-150g protein is fine, no need to worry if you're under that.
  • DavisKarenR
    Options
    My understanding is that a healthy person is supposed to take their body weight and divide by two, then subtract 10 for the grams of protein to eat each day. (not for body builders or those who are trying to bulk up). So, my weight is currently 180, so I would need to half that (90), then subtract 10 (80). so i aim for 80 grams of protien a day. i changed my goals on MFP to match this, and it ended up being 50% carbs, 25% protien, 25% fat. it's working so far, i've lost 24 lbs. :-) but i keep my sugar to below 15 grams a day.
  • souki19
    Options
    My understanding is that a healthy person is supposed to take their body weight and divide by two, then subtract 10 for the grams of protein to eat each day. (not for body builders or those who are trying to bulk up). So, my weight is currently 180, so I would need to half that (90), then subtract 10 (80). so i aim for 80 grams of protien a day. i changed my goals on MFP to match this, and it ended up being 50% carbs, 25% protien, 25% fat. it's working so far, i've lost 24 lbs. :-) but i keep my sugar to below 15 grams a day.
    can you tell me the secret to keeping you're sugar low? cause i can't seem to firgure it out, i am usually at70g at the end of the day and i've been trying to cut it out , but everything has some sort of sugar ( all my sugar comes from dairy and fruit)
  • emily773
    Options
    Thank you all so, so much for this great advice!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    can you tell me the secret to keeping you're sugar low? cause i can't seem to firgure it out, i am usually at70g at the end of the day and i've been trying to cut it out , but everything has some sort of sugar ( all my sugar comes from dairy and fruit)
    Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about sugar from fruit & dairy in that amount. I don't.

But I don't do processed sugars either.