how did you lose the way, in steps please. thanks

Options

Replies

• sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    This is how I did mine:

1. I went to see dr. make sure everything was working the it was suppose to. I complete physical (wanted so see if I had any excuse for being fat, and it turns out I didn't...lol )

2. I started logging in EVERYTHING i ate on MFP, this made me aware of what I was eating

3. Started substituting and doing research on better foods that I like and making better food choices

4.. I started doing the Wii dance for 30 minutes each morning.

5.. I started walking at lunch for 30 min. each day

6. Started getting up earlier and doing kickboxing in the mornings for an hour

7. started jogging for 30 min at lunch

This all happened in a 6-7 month period or so, and 20 pounds down. Good luck on your journey, and you can still have chocolate and what you want as long as 80-90% percent of the time, you make good healthy choices ;)

Remember, you didn't put (x) amount of weight over night, so don't expect to lose it over night ;)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas in here!

Here's my approach:

1. Take it one step at a time - each week try to make something a bit better.
    2. Strength train, and go heavy. I aimed for 2 weight classes a week, increasing my weights each time.
    3. Watch carbs - not in a strict Atkins way, but just keep them under control. And up protein.
    4. Find healthy switches - experiment with new foods. I now love quinoa, roast soy beans, and soy yoghurt.
    5. Get enough sleep, and enough water.
    6. Choose exercise routines that you enjoy.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I saved up for an exercise bike. Joined myfitnesspal. started out slowly. first I was eating about 1800 calories on average, then 1700, then 1600. i've recently been averaging 1400-1600 calories. I exercise almost everyday for 40-60 minutes. at first it was all my exercise bike, then i started doing jillian michaels DVDs a few days per week. I lose about 1.15 lbs per week.

i have logged everything i have eaten for 7 months, even on days where i eat like 3000 calories. it's important for me to log everything everyday.

good luck!
  • afiqahamdan
    Options
    i practice calorie deficit and treadmill everyday..i burn 500 calories everyday and i lose about 0.17kg everyday.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I decided that I was unhappy with my weight/health and decided to make a change.

I started off by cutting down - cutting out the crap foods and watching my portions.

I then introduced exercise - started off with EA Sports Active 2 on the PS3 which was good 'cos i could do it when no-one else was watching: there's no way I would have gone to a gym!

Found MFP and started logging, which helped me tweak my diet so I don't kid myself on what I'm taking in and what I'm burning.

I learned to give myself a break. If I have a bad day I get over it and get back to eating right and exercising. I've still got a long way to go, but I feel so much better now than I did last year.
  • lisab64
    Options
    In July 2010, I started tracking my food (and limiting calories) and didn't really focus on changing my diet. Over the first 10 weeks I had some diet changes (mostly stopped eating bread, rice, pasta, cereal, and limited potatoes -- mostly cuz they are calorie dense and I was hungry - stayed around 1400 calories/day during that time) and noticed with those changes that I craved those items (and sugary/junky stuff) less and less. I lost 25 pounds in those 10 weeks and then went on vacation (11 day trip to Ireland w/daughter). Once I returned from vacation (at same weight), I upped my calories to 1700/day and lost another 10 pounds in 10 weeks (that took me to Xmas). Once the holidays were over (but before New Years), I upped my calories to just over 1800/day and lost an additional 15 pounds by April 11 -- hitting my goal of high school weight (29 years later). Walking (snowshoeing in winter) has pretty much been my only exercise this whole time (I am quite physically active in my day to day life) -- prior toJune I just tried to get in 10,000 steps/day but in June I decided to enter a race and started working on my distance and speed. I still haven't gotten the maintenance thing figured out (currently almost 8 pounds less than goal) but am currently eating approximately 2100 calories/day and figure I'll find the weight come winter. I still track daily.
    I think the "secret" of dieting is to not diet. By that I mean -- only make changes in your eating that you can live with the rest of your life. That way you'll never go "off your diet" and gain the weight back. For me that was cutting out the starchy carbs. I'm a big breakfast person -- I ate (and continue to eat) bacon and eggs for breakfast most mornings. I love milk and prefer it raw -- so I drink full fat milk (1 or 2 glasses/daily) and did so while "losing".
  • alliebeck2
    Options
    I have lost weight through intermittent fasting and regular exercise. I do the following:

1. a combination of ESE and leangains, meaning I currently do a full-day fast twice per week, and the other 5 days each week, I do a condensed eating window of 8 hours and keep track of my calories on these days so I don't go over my weekly total. Throwing in ESE along with leangains provides some measure of carb cycling, which has helped me to avoid plateauing.
    2. cardio 3 times per week and lift weights twice per week. I only workout on days that I eat, although I might go for a nice low intensity walk on fasting days to boost fat burning.

So far, I've lost 6.1% body fat, which has manifested as: 4.75 inches off my waist, 2.5 inches off each thigh and 3.5 inches off my hips.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I like this topic. Here are the steps I took:

1. I saw vacation pics that I hated.

2. Got it in my head that I was going to do this and stick with it. (The most important step for me!)

3. Tracked my food for two weeks without making changes so I could see exactly how much I was eating.

4. Started making small changes such as cutting out soda and doughnuts over the course of weeks.

5. Found an exercising plan for weights and running. For weights I went to bodybuilding.com and found a beginners program. For running I started C25K.

6. I got fitted properly for running shoes.

7. I created short term goals and long term goals.

8. I started blogging every week to track my progress.

9. I challenged myself every week with weekly goals.

10. I keep reminding myself that I can do this!
  • rachel_onamission
    Options
    I started by getting rid of all the junk food in my fridge and house and restocking it with healthy foods. I log everything into MFP. It helps so much!!!

If I have a craving, I don't go without, I just watch the proportion. Otherwise you'll end up going crazy and benging.(sp?)

I work out 3X a week. Monday-Wednesday-Friday. This way, I dont get burnt out on it, and I actually look forward to my work out days.

Really I haven't done much else but eat healthy and exercise. I did hit a bit of a bumpy road where I went for a month without losing anything. My body got used to the workout I was doing...so make sure you're switching it up! As soon as I switched things up, I started losing instantly.

Best of luck :)
  • rachel_onamission
    Options
    Ohh, and I also set mini goals for myself! :)

I seem to stay alot more motivated when I have something to look forward to!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Track food - and be perfecly honest, even on the bad days

Exercise - do what makes you happy so you stick with it

Eat what you enjoy - some concept as the exercise. If you try living on rabbit food or cut all carbs and it drives you insane, guess what? That's not going to work in the long term. You might lose but then you'll gain it right back when you give up. Concentrate first on having healthy portion sizes then start making substitutions. Make sure all changes in your diet are ones you can live with long term.

Don't just focus on that number on the scale but also take measurements, pay attention to how your clothes are fitting and how your body is changing all the time. If you are truly aware, you will never be disappointed because there will always be something that's changing (assuming you're doing it right).

Everyone's different. I eat back all my exercise calories and go over several times per week and still lose. Others barely reach their calorie limits, don't eat back their exercise calories and lose. Try different things, give them at least 2 weeks to see the results, then try something new if that doesn't work.

Remember that what you start a new exercise or increase your intensity, your muscles will react by retaining water. This does not mean you've built muscle but you're on your way to that result and it's a good thing. Give it some time and the water will be released. See 2 paragraphs above - that # on the scale is not everything.

Track your sodium - even if you stay in your calories, if your sodium is too high, you'll retain water and lose slower. Plus, high sodium's not healthy. A great way to have less sodium is to eat more fresh/whole foods and stay away from the frozen/boxed/canned stuff.

Which brings me to the next thought - read labels, they're handy tools!

And finally, drink your water

ETA: just thought of another one - it can make life easy to eat the same things every day and do the same exercise routine every day but your body may stop reacting after a while. If you reach a plateau, try changing things up and see if that helps.
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • jenndeberv
    Options
    24 day challenge has been awesome for me and my husband. You can check out my profile if you want to read more.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Step 1: I started just trying to eat a tiny bit healthier. I didn't calorie count or record what I ate but I started making slightly better choices and eating slightly less. Probably did more on the portion control side than on the type of food I ate side since overeating was my big problem.

Step 2: I started going for walks every day. Just walked over to the park and walked in my jeans and flipflops.

Step 2.5: (kinda at the same time as the walks) I started logging my calories every day and eating within my MFP goal.

Step 3: I went and got real workout clothes (shoes and pants) and kept walking, longer

Step 4: I started working with a personal trainer 2 days a week, and also started adding more strength training in the form of pushups/situps/bodyweight at home exercise.

Step 5: I started focusing on getting more protein daily. Didn't focus very hard.

Step 6: I added some jogging to my walks.

Step 7: I *upped* my calories which had been dropping as I lost weight -- but my exercise had been increasing this whole time and my fat stores had shrunk. I got more energy and immediately dropped 2 lbs after a short plateau.

Step 8: Found out my last 8 lbs of loss was 5lbs fat 3lbs lean and am refocusing harder on protein daily. It sucks. Ihope ot works.

obviously there will be more steps eventually. I'm still in progress. Currently working on adding weight, more pushups, and doing a pullup!
  • jessikas5
    jessikas5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Great topic, so much helpful advice. Thanks!
  • meosha30
    Options
    I have decided to take control of my body and get back to doing the things I enjoy. I thought back on my weight loss in 2008 and all of the resources I had, so I decided to log on to the 50millionpoundchallenge website when I did this I was reminded of the meal plan. I made my decision then to print out the 30-Day Meal Plan and its grocery list to get started. I started following it and was worried about how much food I had to eat. I started researching and found MFP and started counting the calories it require me to eat. It is more than my MFP calorie goal, but I decided to stick with it for these 30 days since it had me losing a good amount of weight…7 lbs in 10 days. I just started going to the gym after the 7 lbs being lost because I was thinking how much more it could be if I was doing cardio and resistant training. I plan to go to the gym 5 days doing, 3-cardio & 2-rest days.

I wish everyone the best of luck on their journey.
  • marky54
    marky54 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is how I did mine:

1. I went to see dr. make sure everything was working the it was suppose to. I complete physical (wanted so see if I had any excuse for being fat, and it turns out I didn't...lol )

2. I started logging in EVERYTHING i ate on MFP, this made me aware of what I was eating

3. Started substituting and doing research on better foods that I like and making better food choices

4.. I started doing the Wii dance for 30 minutes each morning.

5.. I started walking at lunch for 30 min. each day

6. Started getting up earlier and doing kickboxing in the mornings for an hour

7. started jogging for 30 min at lunch

This all happened in a 6-7 month period or so, and 20 pounds down. Good luck on your journey, and you can still have chocolate and what you want as long as 80-90% percent of the time, you make good healthy choices ;)

Remember, you didn't put (x) amount of weight over night, so don't expect to lose it over night ;)

I use the Wii too. 40 mins free jogging most days but up the to 90/120 mins on days off.

Using MFP has been a massive help and now I've lost 30 pounds since June 6th.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    For the first 9 months I just tried to eat "well" without counting anything or being too strict. I'd work out occasionally, but nothing regular. I lost about 18lbs that way.

In May I started Turbo Fire. In June I started counting calories on MFP. I eat between 1800-2500 calories. I've lost about 12 pounds this way.
  • dgarblik
    dgarblik Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love this topic! Bumpp
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!