Short Daily Commute Activity Level Question

Options
Hi guys,
So I just moved states and now bike commute to work about 6 miles round trip. Probably a few miles more throughout the day buying groceries daily and getting to coffee shops and such. I was wondering what you would consider this activity level to be? I’m an educator during the day so not sitting 100% but not moving around a whole lot outside of this. Would I still be sedentary or lightly active?

Many thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    I would start with Lightly Active. Since the commute and shopping are part of your daily routine, I would count it as that.

Try that for 4-6 weeks and see what your weight does. Adjust if needed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Definitely not sedentary.
    What does your activity look like outside of your working day as that counts too?
  • TheRayOD2014
    TheRayOD2014 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My activity outside of my working day has endurance exercise that I account for separately.
  • sijomial
    Options
    My activity outside of my working day has endurance exercise that I account for separately.

I meant your non-exercise activity outside of work. In MFP terms activity and exercise are two separate things.
    e.g. Two people with the same working day could see one person sitting on the sofa all evening and weekend watching TV while the other is bouncing around the house and garden with DIY, heavy duty gardening, childcare, cooking....
  • TheRayOD2014
    TheRayOD2014 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    cooking, some cleaning, no yard work, walking to and from coffee shops 1/2 a mile away or so. Maybe walking to the metro or around the school for work. I don’t have kids or anything like that but I do walk to get anywhere or anything grocery wise. Shop daily and don’t ‘stock up’ on food
  • sijomial
    Options
    cooking, some cleaning, no yard work, walking to and from coffee shops 1/2 a mile away or so. Maybe walking to the metro or around the school for work. I don’t have kids or anything like that but I do walk to get anywhere or anything grocery wise. Shop daily and don’t ‘stock up’ on food

Easily lightly active I would say.
    In reality it's your best guess of just one element of your overall calories needs and calorie estimating so after a period of weeks your weight trend will tell you if you need to adjust up/down/not at all.