Severe stomach cramps - Atkins bars !!

I have been following a keto diet successfully for 9 weeks now. This week I found Atkins bars. Yesterday I had one for breakfast and another for afternoon snack. About 3 hours later I started to suffer the most severe stomach pains then a headache and shivers. It has been 24 hours and pain has gone from a 15 out of 10 to an 8. Does anyone have any idea how king it will last? I cannot stand up straight. Have been drinking lots of water and electrolytes. Cannot stomach proper food right now. Help anyone?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    post the ingredients? but it sounds like you had a reaction to something in the bar and probably shouldn't eat them
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I can't eat chicory root, or any sugar alcohols without gastrointestinal issues, and I know many people are the same. I wouldn't be surprised if that bar had both.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    What kind of sugar alcohol was in it? Malitol is known for causing pains like that. Do not eat any gummy bears with that in them!
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Yeah, as suggested above I'm guessing its whatever sugar alcohol is in it. I'm keto too, but I stay away from all Atkins products. I took one look at the ingredient list and was like nope!
  • bbsweetpea
    bbsweetpea Posts: 52 Member
    Some Sugar Alcohols cause this.
  • fitness257
    fitness257 Posts: 1 Member
    I've been having stomach issues for days and muscle cramping in legs. Artifical sweetners, like Atkins Bars, were contributing factors. There are many scientific articles out there about this. I'm staying away!!!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,596 Member
    Yep, I always tell people that if they're going to do keto, that's fine, but stay away from the keto products. For the abovementioned reasons.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,885 Member
    edited August 2022
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    Yep, I always tell people that if they're going to do keto, that's fine, but stay away from the keto products. For the abovementioned reasons.

Hard for the food industrial complex to make money promoting the consumption of just whole foods like animal proteins and cruciferous vegetables. I just saw a keto pasta on the shelves with 32g's of carbs in one serving. I guess they're catering to the masses that probably don't read labels or aren't really familiar with keto, oh well, it's like the wild west.