any fellow ultra runners out there?

Options
Hello, I am new to this site and I'm wondering if anyone else out there is an ultra runner. I am looking for any tips or info that people have for following MFP while training for and participating in ultra marathons. How many of your exercise calories do you eat after your long runs etc.?

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I not an ultra-runner (hell, I'm not even a runner), but I a read a very inspirational book by one a couple of years ago, so I'm really interested to see the replies.
  • runner1982
    Options
    I'm not...but I'm doing my first ultra next year. Starting to eat those exercise calories are going to be my biggest challenge yet.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    I'm curious, what motivates you? What mileage do you consider an ultra-run? is it anything marathon plus?

How often do you run one? I'm assuming there is no way it's possible to take in a proper nutritional balance mid-run, and you just need to "recover" from it afterwards? The book I read was 100-200 mile runs.

Maybe you're not talking quite so extreme?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Having done exactly one 50K (and 22 marathons), I guess I'm technically I'm an ultra runner. Although I find the 50K distance to really be a marathon on steroids.

50 miles is what separates the men from the boys. Not exactly sure when I'll do one.
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've done a bunch of 50Ks and two 50 milers. Next year the plan is at least a couple of 50 milers (and numerous 50Ks), and in 2013 I will attempt my first 100 miler. But yes, anything over 42.2K is considered an ultra marathon. The majority of my races are on technical trail so they're more difficult (and longer time on my feet) than road running.

What motivates me is how personal the experience is. I am not fast, but I am determined. To complete a race for me is the ultimate reward and high. I feel such a sense of achievement when I finish. It's hard to explain.

With regards to nutrition, you do eat solid food during an ultra event as opposed to just electrolytes/gels like you typically would with a shorter distance race. But there's definitely a deficit, so it is a lot about recovery afterwards. My problem is I find I tend to overcompensate (and reward) after a race, and also now that I've been running for a few years my body has become more efficient and therefore does not burn as much while running (training) as it did when I first started. I'd ideally like to lose about 30 lbs to get down to about 145 lbs, but right now the main goal is to get back down below 160.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Options
    thanks for the replies, I have a hell of a lot of respect for people that can do that - it's a massive mental challenge as well as a physical one

all the best in all your training and I hope you find enough support on this site, not sure how many ultra runners you'll find on here but I might be surprised!
  • hezzyfoofie
    Options
    Thanks Kirsty! Beautiful scenery in your profile pic by the way.
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've done 65 marathons and ultras with the longest being 60 miles. If I don't eat my exercise calories I will pass out but on race day I won't eat all of them although I will borrow some for the day before when carbo loading and borrow some the next day when refuelling,

I joined MFP in nov and up to April lost about a stone. I spent quite a lot of that time injured.

Since April I fell of the wagon a bit but in the last month have been trying hard but am finding it difficult with all the events I do to lose weight. In the last 2 months I have done about 6 marathons / ultras. I find that I get too much into the ' I have a marathon tommorrow so can eat what I want' then on the day I can be a right pig then the next day I convince myself I deserve rubbish then the next day I am still slightly in that relaxed about eating mode then there are only 3 more days of being good before it starts again! needless to say I have been gaining and losing the same pound for about 2 months!!!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm a n00b ultrarunner. I've completed one 50K race and I'm training for a 50 mile race.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'll be running my first 50 mile next year.

My good friend, Ludgerclay, just completed his 3rd 100 mile last week. I pace ran with him. Add him, he would love to connect. :)

He may even see this post now.
  • DonPendergraft
    Options

My good friend, Ludgerclay, just completed his 3rd 100 mile last week. I pace ran with him. Add him, he would love to connect. :)

Head to Warda Texas for the Rocky Raccoon in February! We can run together. For about a mile anyway before you leave me in the dust! :o)
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just bumping so I can follow/find again. This ia an activity that interests me for the future, may follow some of your blogs...
  • malenahan
    malenahan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am not an ultra runner but have started running marathons. My next Marathon is St. Louis on October 23rd and am interested in following the replies on calories and ensuring you have enough energy to finish the race.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've run about a dozen ultras in the past few years including three 100 milers. I'm focusing now on completing semi-weekly marathon-distance runs with a target of running 51 marathons this year (I'm at 29 right now). I'll be running a few ultras next year, spending more time volunteering in Ontario races to get to know all of the race directors and other non-runners who are passionate about promoting the sport. Then I'll be back on it in 2013, working on speed, and targetting a quicker (by 2 hours) 100 mile time.
    I don't have a lot of time right now to go into eating, but would be happy to hook up with you about diet, recovery, etc.
  • hezzyfoofie
    Options
    ludger I see you've completed Haliburton. That was my first 50 miler, and I'm hoping to do 100 there (I may attempt Sulphur 100 miler first depending on how my training goes). I'm sure we've likely ran past each other in a race or two. My plan for next year is to do most of the Ultra series again. It was my plan this year, but I had several bad races and DNFs due to a lack of training. I've set a goal to complete a 60K race in Kentucky in March 2012 (Land Between the Lakes). I'm hoping that will keep me motivated to train over the winter. I will attempt to figure out how to add you as a friend. Any insight you have would be fantastic.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Head to Warda Texas for the Rocky Raccoon in February! We can run together. For about a mile anyway before you leave me in the dust! :o)

I don't think I'll be ready for February. Is it a 50K?
  • DonPendergraft
    Options

I don't think I'll be ready for February. Is it a 50K?

No, it's 50 MILES! Or 80.47 Kilometers for you Canadians. :)