Intermittent Fasting (IF)

Options
I’ve been doing IF since 2020 and if you want to lose weight, IF is the way to go (other things too of course). There are many other benefits to IF as well, which I won’t explain now. I do/did fasting 2x a week for 16 hours and I lost 10 lbs within 8 months. It takes a lot of mental discipline to fast for 16 hours, but it is achievable.

*Hate/negative comments will not be accepted

Replies

• nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I naturally eat a 16/8 schedule. I generally eat from 10/11am to 6 or 7pm. Idk about anyone else but not having a late night netflix snack fest helps my body stay at a much healthier weight.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    IF is basically an eating schedule. I lost weight by eating at "normal" meal times and by following a loosey goosey interpretation of IF.

Staying within points/calorie goals is what did it.

It's good you found something that worked FOR YOU tho. :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Glad it worked for you, but not everyone is enamored of it. It all boils down to CICO, regardless of when you eat.

I schedule three large meals, and snacks of varying sizes appx every two hours throughout the day.

I’m the farthest possible extreme from IF, and managed to lose 40% of my body weight in a year.

Again, CICO being the necessary ingredient.

The only magic to timing your meals regularly or way far apart is making sure the tally is under your calorie budget.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Glad it works for you (and a lot of other people).

For me (and a lot of other people), it's a no-go.

Neat how not everyone is the same, eh?
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Glad it works for you (and a lot of other people).

Neat how not everyone is the same, eh?

You ain't just a wolfin'. 😅

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I find that if I don’t eat breakfast I don’t get immediately hungry again. When I do eat breakfast before work within 2 hours I’m hungry again. I typically have just a coffee in the morning and then start eating at lunchtime. I have to time my hunger / eating schedule carefully due to being a teacher (I am not going to eat in front of the kids lol).

My husband called out that I basically do intermittent fasting 🤣 and he’s right. I usually start eating at 11 am and end eating at 7 pm. So that’s a 16:8 schedule. I find it helps with hunger cues. Also eating high protein helps. I’m not a true intermittent faster though as I don’t really adhere to this schedule super strict nor do I abstain from milk and sugar in my coffee. My friend who is an IF and does a strict 20:4 schedule says that you’re not supposed to have any calories in between.

If I eat a carb heavy meal I’m hungry again pretty quickly even if the carb heavy meal was a lot of calories. I find satiation is super important to maintain a healthy diet within calorie limits.

Long story short; for some people IF can help with satiation, which is a strategy to help lower calories. It is definitely an effective method for some and as long as it fits the CICO weight will be lost lol.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I skip breakfast because it's easy for me not because it "takes a lot of mental discipline".
    sijomial wrote: »
    I skip breakfast because it's easy for me not because it "takes a lot of mental discipline".

I totally agree here!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, doing what works best for you is the way to go!
    I often fast for 16 hours at a time, without intending to. I'm not a breakfast eater, and I drink my coffee unsweetened and black, so I tend to have my first meal around lunch time.
    I find if I do eat breakfast I'm hungrier for longer, which of course means more calories. So for me, "IF" (though unintentional) results in eating less calories, which means a calorie deficit, which means weight loss.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have 66 calories off so far. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, as long as it fits in my daily macros.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it worked for you, sincerely.

But it's not "the way to go" for everyone. There are many ways to create a calorie deficit and lose weight. Everyone needs to find out what works best for them.

I simply reduced my calories across the board...my meal times didn't matter, I just ate less of the foods I was already eating, at the same times I had always eaten them. This didn't require much mental discipline for me, and was my path to success.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I am glad that you have found a way to eat that works for you, but as previous posters have said, it is not a cure-all for everyone.

I naturally IF as I am rarely hungry in the morning and prefer to eat more substantially later in the day. For my wife, on the other hand, IF would be a total train wreck - she is hypoglycemic and needs to eat every 3-4 hours to keep functioning normally.