Anyone Lost Over 30 and kept it off for more than 5 years, who doesn't work in the fitness industry

Replies

• jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Yes, and now I'm hitting a 40 lb loss, it's been close to 8 years, slow but steady - I'm the turtle :) good luck!!! you can do this!!
  • Lynnda7
    Lynnda7 Posts: 13 Member
    I lost over 50 lbs that I had only on me for about five years after baby but still joined every weight loss group and fitness center cried couldn't lose it until I got really sick with ulcerative colitis or celiac disease they never knew for sure.im glad it came off and never came back (except up to 10- 15 lbs) but in a painful hard way ......
  • Lynnda7
    Lynnda7 Posts: 13 Member
    I've kept 100 lbs off for over 5 years. It's challenging.

I bet your awesome! I couldn't even lose 50 without being medically sick, you go girl🙌
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    delen4000 wrote: »
    All that being said losing the weight was easier than keeping it off.
    @delen4000 Why was losing the weight easier than keeping it off? I would like to know what you mean by that.

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I lost ~37lbs 4.5 years ago, from 165 to 128 ("healthy" weight range). In that 4.5 years I've been as low as 111 and as high as 131, but I think that still keeps it more than 30lbs lost from my "peak" weight.

I have a desk job (accountant), I work from home (generally burns fewer calories than away from home) and my kids homeschool (so no school shuffle). Exercise is intentional, I don't get a lot of NEAT.
  • v8maro
    v8maro Posts: 13 Member
    135lbs / 7yrs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Is there anyone here who has lost over 30 pounds and kept it off for more than 5 years, who doesn't work in the fitness industry, or a heavily appearance-biased field?

It seems like most of the people who keep it off work in fitness. I hope I'm wrong.

Other people can reply too, I'm just particularly interested in that group.
    I have lots and lots of clients who've achieved it. I know because though I no longer train them, I see them in the gym consistently.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • wprestong
    wprestong Posts: 2 Member
    Yes - I am 64 and I lost 55 pounds 2013-2015, mostly by counting calories and being careful. It was not for appearance reasons, but to take weight off my joints, which are very bad.
  • cpereyra831
    cpereyra831 Posts: 16 Member
    From 220 to 178 in 10 months (2013) and maintaining 177 for the last 9 years.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    One more here. I'm a 6'4" tall male and 12 years ago I was 260lbs. I got down to 185 in about 9 months. Ever since then I've been between 185 and 215. (75lb to 55lb weight loss). No one would want to see me on YouTube or leading a gym class. I'm a programmer and I sit for a ridiculous amount of my life.
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Me
  • pmbach1
    pmbach1 Posts: 2,021 Member
    I lost about 62 pounds somewhere around 2000. Then between Jan. 2015 and Jan. 2016 I lost another 100 or so. I have kept it off with some little slip ups. Quickly taken care of and never more than 20 pounds. Thank you COVID. I will be turning sixty three in November. Logging is of supreme importance. I also stick with the 5% challenge for accountability. Plenty of water.
  • aCountryVegan
    aCountryVegan Posts: 23 Member
    64 years young and 10 years ago I was 305lbs at 6'1" and was most likely heading for my first heart attack. I got winded getting off the couch. My daughter eats a whole foods, plant based diet and I was visiting with her for a week and she had me try it and I never went back to the Standard American Diet. I lost 60lbs in the first year just by changing the food I was putting into my body. Then I started walking 20 mins a day and now I run 20+ miles a week. I ran so much that I was actually causing a huge calorie deficiency and one day at work I hit the wall and nearly passed out from what I later determined was just a lack of fuel. So I started here at MFP to track my calories so I could ensure I was eating enough. Depending on my training schedule I HAVE to eat between 2000 and 3500 calories a day. I always say, if you like to eat, take up distance running. LOL So its been at least 9 years I have kept it off, but I will say, its a struggle everyday.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!