I have a 1200 calorie goal , are there any recommended meal plans to help get me started?

Maybe i'm just not too familiar with the site yet, but I'm not seeing any suggested meal plans that would help give guidelines to start?

Replies

• Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    edited December 2014
    need your goals first and current stats
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    I don't know of any. Maybe make friends with people with open diaries and see what other people are doing? Ive got an open diary if you want to send an FR :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Just eat what you normally eat and log it in your diary. Try to stay under 1200. Look for improvements the following day.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Your thinking about it all wrong. You want to eat 1200 calories a day thats between 300 - 400. So make a meal, and portion it out to 300- 400 calories.
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    I try and stick to 1200 if you would like to add me as a friend? My diary is open to view from there x
  • I've been eating 3 meals a day between 270 and 410 calories and healthy, and then 1-2 snacks per day that are around 100-125 calories each. If you log your food into myfitness pal and pick a good nutrient ratio and try to stay somewhat close, it works. I find that just logging it helps me put a better focus on what I'm eating and how much.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    I have to stay at 1200 or below. some days its not easy, and others im like.. whaaaat I still have 300 calories left to use. the best part is, if your a beast in the gym... 1200 calories is nothing because you gain so many extra from your workout. I always log ahead for the day, my boyfriend helps me stay on track, and I have a great community on MFP to help me stay inspired *** (but... I will tell you, I'm human. I mess up, I go over, I get lazy....)
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    edited December 2014
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Just eat what you normally eat and log it in your diary. Try to stay under 1200. Look for improvements the following day.

I agree with this... But I'd like to add that you should try and stay as close as possible to 1200 (even a little bit over is fine), if that is what your calorie goal for the day is. A goal of 1200 is about the bare minimum anyone should eat. Also, 1200 is your NET goal... That's the number you should eat even after you exercise. For example... If your NET goal is 1200 and you exercise/burn 400 calories during the day, that means you should eat 1600 TOTAL calories for the day.

NET calories = TOTAL calories minus EXERCISE caloreis
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    This link gives you a one day suggested menu but it also doesn't give the recipes (ie for the soup they suggest). I prefer tracking macros in MFP. Good luck :)

http://www.calorieguide.org/the-1200-calorie-diet/
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

I agree with this... But I'd like to add that you should try and stay as close as possible to 1200 (even a little bit over is fine), if that is what your calorie goal for the day is. A goal of 1200 is about the bare minimum anyone should eat. Also, 1200 is your NET goal... That's the number you should eat even after you exercise. For example... If your NET goal is 1200 and you exercise/burn 400 calories during the day, that means you should eat 1600 calories.

Thank you for adding that.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Enter what you want to eat and then adjust the portions if you need to. This works well for decreasing calories and increasing as well. I like to enter what i want for the day and then adjust the amounts of each food until i hit a total i am happy with.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    With 55 pounds to lose, I'd think 1200 calories is way too low. Look at this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    With 55 pounds to lose, I'd think 1200 calories is way too low. Look at this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Agreed, was thinking the same thing.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    I develop individualized meal plans for family and friends who are on strict calorie watch. Message me and we can work on something concrete that is easy to stick to :)
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member

I agree with this... But I'd like to add that you should try and stay as close as possible to 1200 (even a little bit over is fine), if that is what your calorie goal for the day is. A goal of 1200 is about the bare minimum anyone should eat. Also, 1200 is your NET goal... That's the number you should eat even after you exercise. For example... If your NET goal is 1200 and you exercise/burn 400 calories during the day, that means you should eat 1600 calories.

Then where is the deficit that helps you lose???
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    edited December 2014
    111YoYo111 wrote: »

If you're eating at 1200 calories and you're NOT in a deficit with that, then you should see a doctor.

The lowest maintenance level I've ever seen on here or IRL is about 1500-1600 (and that's for someone who is very sedentary)... I personally can be in a deficit at 2000 calories.
  • maddy1900
    maddy1900 Posts: 8 Member
    I do 1200 cal. a day, which is hard to do. Eat your proteins they help to keep you full. Add a lot of veggies they have little calories and a lot of nutrients. grilled fish, chicken, eggs, and tuna are good sources of proteins that will keep you full and are not loaded in calories. Plan your meals around a lean protein. Do daily work outs, even if it is just walking; work out to eat more.....also drink plenty of water....
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    111YoYo111 wrote: »

Your MFP goal before exercise includes the deficit. You could not exercise, just eat that, and you would lose weight. Exercise calories are meant to be eaten back in the MFP design.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

+1
  • Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong
    Smart_Beautiful_and_Strong Posts: 230 Member
    edited August 2022
    I am doing 1200 calories a day and find it easier to pick a breakfast and lunch that I really like and change up dinner. I’m not saying I will eat the same breakfasts and lunches for the next year, but for right now it is working for me.
    Breakfast: 1 c Special K red berry, 1/2 c original unsweetened almond milk, 2 slices low sodium bacon, and 2 eggs. 378 calories.
    Lunch: a 208 calorie taco salad made from lean ground turkey, 0 fat Greek yogurt, jarred jalapeños, tomato, green pepper, red onion and lettuce. I have an iced protein coffee with it at 160 cal. So lunch is 368.
    Then I make dinner and try to stay in my calories that are left. I also leave room for a light and fit 80 yogurt for dessert. I think my diary is open so you can take a peek and feel free to friend me.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    OP has only logged in once - the day she posted the question almost 8 years ago! 😂

Don’t hold your breath for that kindly invited friend request 😊
  • ^^Thanks for the heads up, I guess I should have checked that, lol.