Serial Stater Looking for Advice

Options
cvdub16
cvdub16 Posts: 71 Member
Hi there! I have started this to many times to count. I am looking for the best route for a mom who works full time and is taking care of her household and 5 kids. I am not looking for keto, paleo, or intermittent fasting. I am just looking for old fashioned advice on diet and exercise. I know it seems simple but I feel no matter what I try I fail at it. So anything you can give I greatly appreciate. Thank you!

Replies

• mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    As a working mom of 3 I know it is difficult. I started and stopped many, many times. So many that I thought I just didn’t have it in me. But I am now 2.5 months in and down 20 something pounds and still going.

The difference? My process and my attitude. I failed before. So I looked back at those attempts. Why did I fail? For me I wanted fast results. I made changes to my eating that I would not be able to sustain and made sudden changes which took a lot of attention to make like looking up and following new recipes. I made exercise goals that I could not keep. Then I would drop the ball on one or more things and eventually the attempt would fail all around.

This time I had a talk with myself. I was going to take it slow and I was going to get there. I started by committing to track everything. No matter what. I would try to stay at my calorie goal but I would track.

I used my beginning tracking as data. What helped me stay full. What days (macro wise) was I super hungry. I learned about my body that way. I gave myself grace when weighing. I was just starting. I didn’t demand perfection.

Eventually I started making more adjustments such as limiting added sugar and increasing fiber. But these are slow changes. And not hard core rules. No more rules. I am doing lifestyle changes.

I started slow with exercise. I did what I could fit in to my day. I didn’t see how I could get to a gym consistently. So instead of trying to make that happen then feeling like I failed I started a 20 min home program and take walks as often as I can. I hope to grow that. But it is a start.

And now I feel like I am on a good path. It may take me a little longer. But I am in it for the long run and I will make it.

My advice is to ignore that part in you that wants to lose fast and jump in. Start slowly. Take time to learn. Don’t over commit. You can tweak and add more exercise in as you go. Just make sure you are going.

Perhaps these weren’t your downfalls. They were mine. But look at what yours were and instead of repeating them find solutions.

Another thing I am working on is not feeling bad about taking some time to work on my health. It is hard when time is difficult to find. But I remember that taking care of my health is important. My kids need a healthy mom.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • cvdub16
    cvdub16 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    mlrtri wrote: »
    As a working mom of 3 I know it is difficult. I started and stopped many, many times. So many that I thought I just didn’t have it in me. But I am now 2.5 months in and down 20 something pounds and still going.

The difference? My process and my attitude. I failed before. So I looked back at those attempts. Why did I fail? For me I wanted fast results. I made changes to my eating that I would not be able to sustain and made sudden changes which took a lot of attention to make like looking up and following new recipes. I made exercise goals that I could not keep. Then I would drop the ball on one or more things and eventually the attempt would fail all around.

This time I had a talk with myself. I was going to take it slow and I was going to get there. I started by committing to track everything. No matter what. I would try to stay at my calorie goal but I would track.

I used my beginning tracking as data. What helped me stay full. What days (macro wise) was I super hungry. I learned about my body that way. I gave myself grace when weighing. I was just starting. I didn’t demand perfection.

Eventually I started making more adjustments such as limiting added sugar and increasing fiber. But these are slow changes. And not hard core rules. No more rules. I am doing lifestyle changes.

I started slow with exercise. I did what I could fit in to my day. I didn’t see how I could get to a gym consistently. So instead of trying to make that happen then feeling like I failed I started a 20 min home program and take walks as often as I can. I hope to grow that. But it is a start.

And now I feel like I am on a good path. It may take me a little longer. But I am in it for the long run and I will make it.

My advice is to ignore that part in you that wants to lose fast and jump in. Start slowly. Take time to learn. Don’t over commit. You can tweak and add more exercise in as you go. Just make sure you are going.

Perhaps these weren’t your downfalls. They were mine. But look at what yours were and instead of repeating them find solutions.

Another thing I am working on is not feeling bad about taking some time to work on my health. It is hard when time is difficult to find. But I remember that taking care of my health is important. My kids need a healthy mom.

Best of luck on your journey.

Thank you so much! I agree too! I hate doing stuff as a family and hiding from pictures or just sitting there while they play cause I am so out of shape. Or going places and being exhausted from just walking up stairs. I wanna be healthy!
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    cvdub16 wrote: »

Thank you so much! I agree too! I hate doing stuff as a family and hiding from pictures or just sitting there while they play cause I am so out of shape. Or going places and being exhausted from just walking up stairs. I wanna be healthy!

I am there with you. I am always behind the camera and never in it. I saw a mom take a selfie with her kiddo shortly before I started down this path. It made me sad that I had NO desire to be in a picture WITH my kids. I want to feel confident enough to do that. That’s when I will know I have accomplished my goal. You can do this. Just set yourself up for success. Small lifestyle changes. Take your time.
  • Stormefire
    Stormefire Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I understand your struggle with this far too well. Back in 2015 I lost a lot of weight and was feeling fantastic! I actually kept the weight off until Covid hit and well, let's just say I put it all back on and then some. I found out in 2020 I was diabetic and decided that I had to get my health and weight back in line. I have done all the fad diets to no avail. What I am finding works for myself and my husband is looking at labels and trying to keep sugar out of our diet. I know with kids that isn't easy, especially having 5 of them and working full time. Convenience foods do make life easier.

My advice to you hon is meal prepping on the weekend. Maybe grocery shop one weekday evening and take one day of the weekend to just cook up chicken and burger patties, lean taco meat and even a low carb/sugar spaghetti sauce you can put over spaghetti or even chicken for a chicken parm. Also try adding a zero sugar/calorie flavor to your water and cut out soda if you drink it. Exercise doesn't always have to mean doing an hour of cardio a day. I'm disabled so I can't do that much and some days I only get in 10 or 15 minutes but I make those minutes count. Even a little is better than none even if all you do is clean the kitchen after dinner <3 It isn't going to be easy but it IS doable. You've got this!