Sticking to eating diet foods

Options
Sticking to eating diet foods

The reason why it is important to find great tasting diet foods is because you will not eat anything that you do not like. Even if you can force yourself to eat something you do not like for a little while, it will not be able to last because you want to eat something which you enjoy. You will find yourself sneaking foods which you should not be eating just because you do not like the diet foods. There is no reason to have to go down this path.

Replies

• sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your use of the words "diet foods" as that makes me think of faux foods and processed foods. In reality you shouldn't deprive yourself of anything if it fits into your daily allowances. Eating food you like is a great idea though just not keen on the diet food part...
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    That is why I make most of my own foods. I can make it exactly how I want it and I know what I am putting into my body. If I make myself eat chicken breast and steamed veggies all of the time, then I quickly go back to scarfing down on unhealthy options.
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your use of the words "diet foods" as that makes me think of faux foods and processed foods. In reality you shouldn't deprive yourself of anything if it fits into your daily allowances. Eating food you like is a great idea though just not keen on the diet food part...

I agree with this.. try to think of them as healthy food options. "diet food" makes me think of like atkins and south beach diet stuff.. and some of the food is just as processed as "junk food" is

good luck on your weight loss journey!! :))
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

I agree with this.. try to think of them as healthy food options. "diet food" makes me think of like atkins and south beach diet stuff.. and some of the food is just as processed as "junk food" is

good luck on your weight loss journey!! :))

Yep. "Diet foods" bring to mind quick fix diets. Just eating a healthy, balanced diet is the way to go if you're looking for long term success.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Not sure about your use of the words "diet foods" as that makes me think of faux foods and processed foods.

^^this ...
    what is a diet food?

Are diets just for losing weight or for getting healthier?
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured out yet how to have great tasting food that is within my daily calorie counts. Good yes....great still needs a little work. I love to cook, so now I do it for everyone else and only have a little taste of the good stuff. I don't think I know how to concoct anything under a thousand calories a serving.....and I'm the only fat one in this house, too. Everyone else is stick skinny, too. My husband's cholesterol is lower than his golf score and he eats anything he wants. I am planning on drowning them all soon.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean either. I try to eat as healthy as I can but I wouldn't say I eat "diet foods". :) and I definitely have some junk food time to time. :-) good luck!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy food most of the time, but have come to realize that if this is actually a lifestyle change for me, what I'm aiming for, instead of a way to lose some quick pounds before I go back to eating "normally," I need to allow for some foods that really just aren't healthy at all. As long as I work out for the calories, and I splurge only in small portions and infrequently, I can do this.
    If I tell myself that I need to stop eating fried potatoes forever to make this change, I'm out, right there. But I can compromise and acknowledge that fried potatoes are really not a good thing to be eating, but having one order of fries with my lunch once or twice a month isn't going to push me back into bad eating habits. It's all about self control and changing the way that you see food.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't do "diet" foods. I just try to make sure that my diet consists of mainly healthy foods. Learning to cook and make things at home from scratch has been the best thing I've ever done. There is a good recipe for anything you can buy in a box or jar or bottle and most of the time it's a lot easier than I would have thought.
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I haven't figured out yet how to have great tasting food that is within my daily calorie counts. Good yes....great still needs a little work. I love to cook, so now I do it for everyone else and only have a little taste of the good stuff. I don't think I know how to concoct anything under a thousand calories a serving.....and I'm the only fat one in this house, too. Everyone else is stick skinny, too. My husband's cholesterol is lower than his golf score and he eats anything he wants. I am planning on drowning them all soon.

for that i would do a lot of google-ing about like how to switch the unhealthy stuff you cook with for healthier options.
    for example.. instead of butter.. use olive oil or cooking spray to cook with. i dont really use butter so i am not sure of everything people use it for. instead of cooking veggies in butter steam them and season them

instead of salt use other spices or herbs.. i like the use cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder or garlic powder.. or a combination.

try to add veggies to things you cook instead of cheese

i hope some of these suggestions help.

good luck with your weight loss journey!!