Hello

Options
Hello. I'm Valicious2. Was a Spark member quite a few years ago. I don't think I lost any weight, unless it was only a few pounds. Since then, I'm less active, I think I'm eating healthier, I'm 67, and would like to learn how to lose weight, besides eating less. I seem to be stuck at this weight.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Fortunately or unfortunately, the only way to lose weight is to get calorie intake at least a small bit below calorie expenditure.

That can be by eating less in calorie terms - though it not need be less in physical volume, with some modified food choices. (I'm a fan of managing weight while eating foods I like, and it still worked for me to find calorie cuts in the context of happy eating. YMMV.) It does mean being willing to change some habits.

The other way to get calorie intake below calorie expenditure is to be more active. That doesn't need to be some intense, miserable gym-y thing (if you don't like those), any kind of movement adds a bit. That can be just moving more in daily life, not even necessarily formal exercise.

Formal exercise burns more calories more quickly, but even then it needn't be extreme: A nice walk in the park makes a good contribution, and can be a good place to start if not already active, for those who don't have mobility challenges. For those who do have those challenges (which you didn't mention having), there still are exercise options for most.

I'm 66, female, used MFP to lose 50+ pounds (obese to healthy weight) back when I was 59-60, and have been at a healthy weight since. Age is not an insurmountable barrier.

Everyone will need to find their own individual best path, IMO - there isn't a one size fits all approach. Some people adopt special eating regimens (like the named diets), some don't (I didn't). Some start new exercise programs (I didn't, but already was pretty active).

On the eating side, this is what worked for me:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

It might not be suited to you, because no one thing is universally perfect. If you look around here, you'll find people using quite a few different approaches. If you see something that sounds workable to you, give it a test drive. If that doesn't work, try something else. Just keep going, and you'll get there, I predict.

On the exercise front, what I did to get active (back in my mid 40s after cancer treatment) was start with something that seemed manageable (a gentle yoga class a couple of times a week, in my case), then gradually increase what I was doing to keep just a manageable bit of a challenge going, in order to keep progressing my fitness. I made it a point to seek out activities that I personally found fun, ideally so much fun I'd do them even if they weren't good for me. 😉 These days, I'm substantially more active than most of the people our age whom I know, and personally feeling much the better for it.

If you have questions or roadblocks, post a thread here in the Community to get ideas. People have varying opinions (sometimes even conflicting ones!), but most people genuinely want to help. People of all ages tend to have a lot of the same issues or challenges, so don't feel like some of the young'uns won't have good advice. Some will.

Wishing you success!